Should awards voting be held off until the end of the playoffs?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I think go the opposite way and have all voting occur before the playoffs. I would like to see the Conn Smythe voting before the playoffs because I think they give playoff games too much focus on that award.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Because there’s a separate trophy for the most valuable player during the playoffs

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
No. Lots of outstanding players don't get the chance to play in the playoffs (i.e. Adam Fox, Patrick Kane, John Gibson, Anze Kopitar, etc.).

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
No because people will start arguing X does not deserve the Hart because his team did not win the cup. Then the Hart will essentially be another Conn Smythe.

May 17, 2009
Maine
I think having a "Wayne Gretzky" award given to the most outstanding player of the year - combining playoffs + regular season - could be a cool new award.

I thought the hypothetical Wayne Gretzky award was going to go to the player with the most points in the playoffs.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
No, they shouldn't. Voters would attach narratives to mostly random fluctuations in performance over a small sample of playoff games, and put far too much emphasis on team success in those games.

I think there's a real chance McDavid would (very stupidly) be denied the Hart this year if voting took place after the playoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because the awards are for the regular season, that is why. There is an award for the playoffs, it is called the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Reactions: edog37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->