Should Austin Watson's suspension be rescinded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So she's either lying to protect Watson's reputation or she's telling the truth and making it even harder for victims to come forward by adding to the fear of not being taken seriously. Nice job either way.
Basically. All I learned about battered woman's syndrome it's really hard to tell one way or the other. This is one of the most depressing things about domestic abuse beyond the abuse itself that women feel pressure to lie and protect their abuser. It could be that she's telling the truth but it's taken an awfully long time for the truth to come out so it's pretty suspicious.

Reactions: NeverBeNormal

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Basically. All I learned about battered woman's syndrome it's really hard to tell one way or the other. This is one of the most depressing things about domestic abuse beyond the abuse itself that women feel pressure to lie and protect their abuser. It could be that she's telling the truth but it's taken an awfully long time for the truth to come out so it's pretty suspicious.

Thats nothing try being a battered man

Reactions: The Apologist

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
And it also came out later that they determined those were not marks made by Watson.
You got a source on this? And what about her "handsy" remark?

Being that she was completely intoxicated at the time, does her statement have any value?
Of course it does. I've been wasted plenty of times and I've never gone and made stuff up to a police officer before.

And I want to say I have no idea what happened. But there's a lot of hypocrisy in this thread coming from people who claim to be unbiased yet refuse to put an ounce of faith into a bonafide police report.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Is there any way to identify a false claim?

paragon

May 5, 2010
You would have her keep silent even if she's telling the truth? What if you were the one falsely accused of domestic violence or sexual assault? Would you honestly want no one to come to your defense?
What good does it make for her to speak up now and contradict her previous statement. It only makes her a confirmed liar and nobody can take what she says at face value. Do you believe she was lying about him getting handsy on her or do you believe she is lying he touched her so she doesn't lose half of his salary. While anger and money are both viable motives to lie, I tend to believe she's lying in her current statement, because she's losing money in this.

Personally I don't think it's any sport leagues place to hand out suspensions for stuff that happens outside of work. Especially domestic abuse, it should be handled entirely in the justice court. Lets say you are married to Carey Price and he punches you. Would you like to go the police when you know that by doing so he might get suspended for 20 games and that would cost you half of his lost salary or almost 2 million in this hypothetical situation. In a way the current model leagues use punishes the domestic abuse victims for coming out and gives them an incentive to not call the cops. Maybe that is the purpose of the whole policy in the first place because domestic abuse cases are such a bad publicity.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
You would have her keep silent even if she's telling the truth? What if you were the one falsely accused of domestic violence or sexual assault? Would you honestly want no one to come to your defense, least of all the person that you didn't assault, for fear of how it might discourage real victims?

Hearing a lot of IF's in this thread. The TRUTH is that he is currently serving a suspension for Domestic Abuse. Believe whatever or whoever you want.

Reactions: dukeofjive

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Why plead no contest then? Youre innocent, fight it. Youre white and rich, you have every chance to prove your innocence in court.
This action is very predictable from what we've seen from other woman dating celebrities and actually having the abuse documented on video.

Maybe 20 years ago.

Check out the lynch mobbed on HF when it was announced

Reactions: AmericanDream

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why plead no contest then? Youre innocent, fight it. Youre white and rich, you have every chance to prove your innocence in court.
This action is very predictable from what we've seen from other woman dating celebrities and actually having the abuse documented on video.

As far as I can tell, he wasn't innocent. He did push her, the problem is that it apparently was only a push.

From what I've read about the situation, it's pretty bogus that the NHL suspended him for as long as they did. The fact that this is called "domestic abuse" delegitimatizes more severe domestic abuse.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007

Exactly. Some people's willingness to blindly accept this statement as gospel is a general lack of understanding the subject matter. I too find the delay in her statement odd but it could have been due to the ongoing appeal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The buzz words that people are using in here to attack Watson is pathetic. He pushed her, leave it at that. Saying crap like "physical altercation", "beat" or other stuff is just being intentionally dishonest and not actually arguing based on the facts.

Reactions: AmericanDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->