Should Austin Watson's suspension be rescinded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Dude you originally quoted a post where I specifically reference Watson being demonized as if he went full Ray Rice in a gas station parking lot. That is the premise here not whether anything happened at all. I never said there wasn't a witness there to say he pushed his girlfriend. A girlfriend who we now know for sure was drunk and claims her actions are what caused the incident that day (her statement). Again I'm circling back to the fact that we have people drawing conclusions about Watson that are simply not substantiated based on what we 'know'. Which isn't a ****ing lot.
Calling articles summarizing a police report loose facts just make you come off obtuse. My point is that her actions don't make him innocent.

I brought up the Ray Rice scenario only to support the notion that her social media post can't be taken at face value for a multitude of reasons.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Calling articles summarizing a police report loose facts just make you come off obtuse. My point is that her actions don't make him innocent.

I have a feeling LC is talking about me, at least in part, but you're doing a pretty good job of saying anything I would have said. I would like to add that coming to the conclusion that Watson, at minimum, was in an unhealthy situation and reacted poorly isn't passing harsh judgement. That kind of behavior should be addressed before it becomes more of an issue, and it has been. Anything else is irrelevant to the question about the suspension, but no he is not alone in needing to address personal issues. Again, that doesn't change the fact that Watson, at the very least, needs to address why he reacted the way he did before something worse happens.

If someone would like to take that as me completely abdicating Jennifer Guardino of any responsibility, or as me somehow making an argument that men are never victims and are never treated unfairly during the process of dealing with a domestic violence charge, so be it.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Dude you originally quoted a post where I specifically reference Watson being demonized as if he went full Ray Rice in a gas station parking lot. That is the premise here not whether anything happened at all. I never said there wasn't a witness there to say he pushed his girlfriend. A girlfriend who we now know for sure was drunk and claims her actions are what caused the incident that day (her statement). Again I'm circling back to the fact that we have people drawing conclusions about Watson that are simply not substantiated based on what we 'know'. Which isn't a ****ing lot.

What we "know" is that Watson admitted to the facts of the case as the police presented them. What he did meets the legal standards of abuse, even if you personally feel it needs to rise to the level of punching her in the face (aka going full Ray Rice). Drunk or not, pushing or swatting at a person who is attempting to leave the situation is not legally acceptable. Even if she doesn't require hospitalization, which seems to be your standard for qualifying as abuse

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Does that cause any issues down the line considering the cops basically lied? Is that legal? Honestly just curious.
Absolutely does not matter when you are not under oath. Actually misleading and lying are invaluable tools to getting people to admit to crimes.

Why do you think it is always recommended to get a lawyer and DON'T say a word?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My brother is a police officer in Nashville, from talking to him if the roles were reversed the odds of her being arrested would have been slim and none. More than likely because Watson would have been intoxicated in that situation he would have been slapped with public intoxication and that would have been the end of it.

As he says, it's one of the sad things about the legal system, things are not handled equally, even if the law itself dictates it should be.

We know she was drunk, odds are he was trying to control the situation and didn't do a good job of it as often happens when dealing with alcoholics.

He ends up pleading no contest because based on the likely sentencing it is only probation and will be removed after this time. The matter is resolved before the season starts by both the legal system and the NHL. The arbiter reduces probably based on this same information from her.

She makes her statement now because the process is complete and I'm sure she was advised by both lawyers and the league not to make any statements until things were complete. It lines up pretty much with the stated facts of the case so her taking responsibility for her part in it makes sense.

Ultimately Watson may have also taken the no contest so she wasnt charged with anything and CPS didn't get involved. That's purely conjecture and me seeing it happen with friends before.

Edit: Also my brother stated that if Watson had not been a public figure as a player for the Preds it's very likely it would have never made it to court, as generally speaking the DA wouldn't mess with it.

Last edited:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
*Arguing with your intoxicated spouse and "pushing her."

*3rd degree aggravated assault caught on camera.

Still painted with the same brush of "domestic violence" and lumped together in all discussion, no nuance. Sorry, but one requires marriage counseling and the other the justice system.

“Pushing her” in quote marks is all I need to know about you.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My brother is a police officer in Nashville, from talking to him if the roles were reversed the odds of her being arrested would have been slim and none. More than likely because Watson would have been intoxicated in that situation he would have been slapped with public intoxication and that would have been the end of it.
I have been assured that this is not true, there are facts and whatnot to refute this.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Strawmen? Check

Anecdotal evidence? Check

Look, I'm truly sorry for people who had to live with abuse, either against them or that they had to witness against those they love, but it isn't relevant here. Yeah, I know, I'm a cold-hearted prick or whatever (and I guess also a bleeding heart SJW?), but that's just the way it works. Your experience isn't, alone, good enough to develop a narrative about a larger issue, nor should it be trusted to frame a specific incident.

Simply put, facts don't care about feelings, and you're definitely only going for pathos here.

edit: now, having broken my own rule, I'm going to return to reading.
Wow!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I have been assured that this is not true, there are facts and whatnot to refute this.
All I can tell you is what he told me, the odds she would have been charged with anything would have been slim and none. He's been a police officer in the Metro Nashville for 13 years, so I'll take his word over random joe on the net that I do not know.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Crying rage for equality everywhere, but none for men.

The law favors women, divorce favors women, child custody favors women. Real shit with real consequences.

The cry for equality stops right when men get treated equal by things that favor women.

Reactions: PuckItUp27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->