Should Andersen be dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am not at all happy with Matthews' playoff performance but he is 20 years old. Andersen is turning 29. He's one of our more experienced players, and the fact is that goalies play 60 minutes, so they will inevitably get a lot of scrutiny. I'm not really buying the argument that Andersen should be babied at this point. He's in the prime of his career and has 41 playoff games under his belt. At a certain point, you have to wonder whether guys are made for the playoffs or not.

I don't think Andersen should be traded, but he has a lot to prove next playoffs. No excuses.

Selling high might seem crazy now, and I'm not saying we should, but all options should be open. We do have to decide what to do with Sparks and Pickard for next season with McElhinney also still under contract, so something has to give this summer with our goaltending situation either way.

I am not saying Andersen should get a pass. The thing is pretty much the whole team were bad and outplayed. There are goals that he should have saved but there are also saves that he had no business of making, but he did. It is like the old saying in soccer, a striker can make 10 mistakes in a game but as long as he scores his 11th chance he is the hero, where a goalie can make 10 spectacular saves but if he makes a mistake on his 11th chance, he is blame for eternity.
Is Andersen the top 5 goalie in the league, not really, maybe in the top 10 but for sure top 15. Thats good enough for the Leafs, the team just need to show up and play with more structure.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No.

Yeah he was subpar in the playoffs, but he’s still overall an above-average goalie. And that’s all you really need - Leafs just need to focus more on improving the teams defensive play in order to cover up during those games he plays like rubbish in.
he's above average in the regular season, but he's still sub-par in the playoffs in his career. Some players just aren't able to cope when the pressure is turned up. This team needs a goalie who can be better than sub-par

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
he's above average in the regular season, but he's still sub-par in the playoffs in his career. Some players just aren't able to cope when the pressure is turned up. This team needs a goalie who can be better than sub-par

Lets be real mate, there's no other goalie that would be worth picking up that is noticeably better then Freddy. Unless you want to get rid of half our team for a top 5 goalie.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lets be real mate, there's no other goalie that would be worth picking up that is noticeably better then Freddy. Unless you want to get rid of half our team for a top 5 goalie.
you're probably not wrong. I'm just saying, his play hasn't been good enough in the postseason throughout his career. Kind of like Bobrovsky in that respect, although much less drastic. I hope he snaps out of it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don’t disagree.

But I wonder how much of his latest playoff performance was due to fatigue due to high regular season workload.

Either way not a decision to be made this season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How many high danger chances do the Leafs allow? How many shots? Who's playing defense (including the forwards actually contributing) ?

The uneducated will just go for the goalie. I hated the Debrusk goal (Gardiner played it poorly too) but seriously, we played like garbage overall. Management needs to get better players that can play on both sides of the puck, the players need to commit to playing better defense and Babcock needs to coach that into them. Basically the entire team top to bottom needs to decide it is going to make this change.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How many high danger chances do the Leafs allow? How many shots? Who's playing defense (including the forwards actually contributing) ?

The uneducated will just go for the goalie. I hated the Debrusk goal (Gardiner played it poorly too) but seriously, we played like garbage overall. Management needs to get better players that can play on both sides of the puck, the players need to commit to playing better defense and Babcock needs to coach that into them. Basically the entire team top to bottom needs to decide it is going to make this change.
the problem is Andersen's sv% on low danger and medium danger shots. I wouldn't hold his high danger sv% against him so strongly (although he's surprisingly very good in that area). He just really sucks at dealing with easy scoring chances for some reason

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
the problem is Andersen's sv% on low danger and medium danger shots. I wouldn't hold his high danger sv% against him so strongly (although he's surprisingly very good in that area). He just really sucks at dealing with easy scoring chances for some reason

Could be fatigue, faced like 100+ shots more then the next goalie and is up there in GP for starters.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
i'm sure Philly would be more than happy taking him

typical thread from a poster with 60 posts in almost 3 years

Not sure you can draw a conclusion from the number of posts a person has to their hockey knowledge, I got thousands of posts and I got no clue what I'm talking about or hockey sense ... ;)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why is this even a thread?

People need their scapegoats because the leafs personally offended them by not winning a playoff round. Andersen and nylander seem to be that. Amazingly gardiner is getting less of this treatment i guess if you come out an own it you get a pass.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yup.

Welcome to the summer Leafs board. It will only get worse.

Yup.

Not sure you can draw a conclusion from the number of posts a person has to their hockey knowledge, I got thousands of posts and I got no clue what I'm talking about or hockey sense ... ;)

Yup.

Reactions: iSophagus

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

A bit of a ridiculous thread I know but HD chances were even 5v5 and even with Boston having a solid edge in PP time, they only had 4 more HD chances the whole series. Boston still held a decent edge in shots and overall scoring chances though.

While the heat was has been put on Gardiner after game 7, the inability of the Rielly/Hainsey combo (as well as the shutdown forwards) to stop Boston's top line was what really sunk us in the series. Can't expect your top pairing to have the worst defensive numbers out of any pair in the entire playoffs and still advance. The play of the bottom 4 dmen was the only reason we even made it to game 7 (Especially Gards/Zaitsev).

Anderson let in a few this series that he would want to have back, that's for sure but he's still a solid keeper. I really wasn't that impressed with either keeper during the series really.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If we could get a sweet deal centred around a first round pick or good prospect, you would have to consider it. I wouldn't mind seeing what Sparks can do. It would be unfortunate to have to lose Sparks and Pickard.

So we should consider trading the teams all time leader for wins in a season for less than we acquired him for?

But it would be unfortunate to lose a guy who was a waiver claim that played in the AHL all year, and a near 25 year old whose only time in the show was a disaster?

Let me just say that I disagree.

Edit: I slightly misquoted the guy.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Even in the playoffs, Freddy was one of the few reasons we were in some of the games we were. There were some bad moments for certain, but he was probably our MVP in the playoffs.

He is still 7th overall in the NHL, Three Stars points for the playoffs... 2017-2018 Playoffs | NHL.com's Three Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->