Should Andersen be dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
yeah it took us 10 years to get a good goalie now fickle fans are trying to run em out of town. ffs this is just getting stupid. why cant we just enjoy our team with out lynching someone everytime they have a few bad games

Reactions: stickty111

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Just looking at Andersen's performance, I agree that it was very disappointing. Definitely a small step back, in terms of his skill and career progression. I had been looking forward to the the 2nd round, because in my head I thought he had an "A" performance in him for this series.

That being said, because of his youth and inexperience, it cannot be said that this is what he is. He still has room to grow and learn, and perhaps this is just a stepping stone, a learning moment, until he moves on to greater things.

Be patient, young Jedi.

Andersen is going to be 29 in October. He's played 41 career playoff games over the course of 5 seasons. I think we're sort of babying the guy here, no?

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
If the return is McDavid, why not?

For real, pls name all the goalies who are better than Andersen, from that list, choose the ones who is available by trade. I have done that and I could not find anyone.

I can see someone posting about trading Jake or Willie or Kadri or even TommyLil, but to suggest Andersen, like come on.

Andersen would not be a starter on most contenders.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
If you could move him for the right piece, sure.

The trouble is, who's going to play in net? Andersen has yet to prove himself in the playoffs, which is where an elite goalie needs to make his mark. Until he does that, to me he's very moveable. But again, if you don't have a plan B to pivot to, then it could be suicide. Unless we're trying to tank some more.

The one thing that we have to consider is that McElhinney is signed for next season. So either way, we have to decide what to do with Sparks and Pickard. It seems like it would be tough to bury them in the minors for another year.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I question the eyeballs of people who think that Freddy was the only thing wrong in that series.

Nevermind that our offense didnt show up

Nevermind that Kadri went crazy eyes and got himself suspended for half the series

Nevermind that Ron Hainsey and Roman Polak make up half our top 4

But ya, all the goalies fault

Well, Reimer got replaced after posting a .924 save % at age 24 in his first playoff series, so crazier things have happened. Who knows what our new GM will decide.

I definitely don't blame the goalie for the series loss outright considering the hole(s) on D we have and the fact that our forward balance is still off and some key players didn't really show up. That said, many people say Andersen was our MVP in the regular season, so you have to wonder why he couldn't be our MVP in the playoffs, or at least why he couldn't let in a few less ill-timed softies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
yeah it took us 10 years to get a good goalie now fickle fans are trying to run em out of town. ffs this is just getting stupid. why cant we just enjoy our team with out lynching someone everytime they have a few bad games
Dont mind him. He misses Bernier.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Why do Dont Panik and Mike Babchuck show up in a bad time for Freddy? The biases are really dumb for them.
Maybe its because Andy is better then their favorite goalies and he replaced them?

Reactions: NCoRe

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Well Bernier has actually won a cup. I don’t see any Cup Ring(s) on Andersen’s finger(s).
Well Bernier was a backup and played behind a great team. He also was part of the worst times ever for this franchise.
I dont see any last place finishes in Andersen's fingers.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bernier playoff stats
GPWLOTGAASv%
925--3.35.885
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Andersen playoff stats
GPWLOTGAASv%
412216--2.61.912
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In other words, Boornier is a disgrace.

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
Well Bernier was a backup and played behind a great team. He also was part of the worst times ever for this franchise.
I dont see any last place finishes in Andersen's fingers.
At one point everyone thought Bernier was going to be our Franchise Goalie. We all saw how that worked out. I’m starting to get some Déjà Vu watching our current “Franchise Goalie”.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Andersen would not be a starter on most contenders.

Name me those contenders and I bet if Andersen and those goalies switches teams, Andersen will still be playing in the playoffs where as whoever got switch to the Leafs will be either in Denmark or sitting at home.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well Bernier has actually won a cup. I don’t see any Cup Ring(s) on Andersen’s finger(s).

Quick won TWO cups and he got swept.

Didn't Bernier got pulled and actually lost the starting job in his playoff series this year

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
Name me those contenders and I bet if Andersen and those goalies switches teams, Andersen will still be playing in the playoffs where as whoever got switch to the Leafs will be either in Denmark or sitting at home.
Out of every goalie in the first round only Philly and Colorado would start Andersen. And arguably Colorado would start Varlamov over Andersen (if he was healthy) because of his superior regular season performance.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Quick won TWO cups and he got swept.
Well, Reimer got replaced after posting a .924 save % at age 24 in his first playoff series, so crazier things have happened. Who knows what our new GM will decide.

I definitely don't blame the goalie for the series loss outright considering the hole(s) on D we have and the fact that our forward balance is still off and some key players didn't really show up. That said, many people say Andersen was our MVP in the regular season, so you have to wonder why he couldn't be our MVP in the playoffs, or at least why he couldn't let in a few less ill-timed softies.

Can you name a Leafs who had a better playoffs than Andersen? Only Marner and Reilly came to mind but I really can't say those two were reasons the series lasted 7 games.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Who knows maybe Sparks is the real deal. If he wins a Calder Cup, I would be happy to bring him in to compete with Andy for the net all year.

So far Sparks has a 0.897 save percentage in the AHL playoffs after 6 games. Way better than Freddie's 0.896 in the playoffs this year...going up against the best 1st line in the NHL.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Think if we upgrade defense we will see Andersen thrive. Being outshot most games is not helping! Also, give Andersen less games..

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Can you name a Leafs who had a better playoffs than Andersen? Only Marner and Reilly came to mind but I really can't say those two were reasons the series lasted 7 games.
The Leafs had a lot of poor performers, honestly, but it's hard to compare a goalie that plays 60 minutes with depth players. Marner, Rielly, Hyman, Marleau, and Dermott were good overall.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Out of every goalie in the first round only Philly and Colorado would start Andersen. And arguably Colorado would start Varlamov over Andersen (if he was healthy) because of his superior regular season performance.
Just want to be clear, since you are using regular season performance as indications, Andersen was 4th in the league in wins, tied for 4th in the league in shutout, 1st in the league in saves made on a team with an average defense is not better than Varlamov, Holtby, Schneider, Kinkaid, and guys like Bobrovsky and Gibson with a much better defense.
This has been a very high scoring playoffs years where teams are putting up 3 or more goals a game. I don't really know why you think Andersen should be traded after the season he had. If only the team played with more structure , Andersen and the Leafs would still be playing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Leafs had a lot of poor performers, honestly, but it's hard to compare a goalie that plays 60 minutes with depth players. Marner, Rielly, Hyman, Marleau, and Dermott were good overall.
I won't say Dermott as he was really not that good.
My point is that, you could also argue the MVP of the season is Marner or Kadri, or Reilly. Like you said, there were a lot of poor performers, just don't see why Andersen is the one that gets the blame for not showing up. If everything is based on this past playoff series or Game 7, Matthews will be one of the first players out the door considering his lack of productions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No.

Yeah he was subpar in the playoffs, but he’s still overall an above-average goalie. And that’s all you really need - Leafs just need to focus more on improving the teams defensive play in order to cover up during those games he plays like rubbish in.

Reactions: stickty111

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I won't say Dermott as he was really not that good.
My point is that, you could also argue the MVP of the season is Marner or Kadri, or Reilly. Like you said, there were a lot of poor performers, just don't see why Andersen is the one that gets the blame for not showing up. If everything is based on this past playoff series or Game 7, Matthews will be one of the first players out the door considering his lack of productions.

I am not at all happy with Matthews' playoff performance but he is 20 years old. Andersen is turning 29. He's one of our more experienced players, and the fact is that goalies play 60 minutes, so they will inevitably get a lot of scrutiny. I'm not really buying the argument that Andersen should be babied at this point. He's in the prime of his career and has 41 playoff games under his belt. At a certain point, you have to wonder whether guys are made for the playoffs or not.

I don't think Andersen should be traded, but he has a lot to prove next playoffs. No excuses.

Selling high might seem crazy now, and I'm not saying we should, but all options should be open. We do have to decide what to do with Sparks and Pickard for next season with McElhinney also still under contract, so something has to give this summer with our goaltending situation either way.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
sure when we find a elite or great goalie...but in the mean time, we gotta hold onto our good starting goalie

its not like a good goalie is easy to find, took us many years to find just a good rock solid one in andersen, and we want him gone? dam you guys remember what having a bad or mediocre goalie was like? having a good one is more than fine, we just getting greedy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad