Votes: 2 1.1%
  • They should not and they won't

Votes: 74 42.3%
  • Lets see how they do next season first

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
In an asset management vacuum, maybe, but from a hockey management perspective no. Only if he requests for a trade

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
In an asset management vacuum, maybe, but from a hockey management perspective no. Only if he requests for a trade

This. From a competitive standpoint, sure, they should start the rebuild now with the valuable pieces they have, but honestly that just slightly improves chances 5 years down the line. Having Crosby retire a penguin, owning that whole legacy so that you can market it again and again- that’s worth so much more to the franchise. If Crosby wants out you make it happen, but there’s no indication he wants to do anything but work his bag off in Pittsburgh ‘till he can’t do it anymore.

Reactions: Gurglesons

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It makes much more business sense to keep him as a lifelong Penguin than any realistic alternative.
Perhaps but it makes more hockey sense to trade him and try to blow it up.

As for the "team heritage" arguments. I get the notion but if Wayne Gretzky who many consider the best player all time can be traded in his prime a 36 year old year old Crosby can be traded and the likely destination would be Colorado.

It also only happens if Crosby is open to it.

this sums up the situation last season the best IMO.

It means that the core of Sullivan, Crosby, Malkin and Letang has been ineffective/aged as a unit for years - but because they're legacy winners, everything has been done to run it back, to the detriment of the franchise. Nobody outside Pittsburgh thought Karlsson was going to move the needle.
Even a lot of Pens fans though this wasn't the way to go but there they went and it was a train wreck and that 1st rounder going to San Jose was just a total loss.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
picked they should but they wont. As others have said, unless he asks for it, he has earned the right to stay there and retire a penguin if thats what he wants. Seeing how competitive he is id bet he is conflicted on it since he has always been a penguin and been Mr pittsburgh but at the sametime im sure hed like to try to win again. You dont become who he is going eh thats good enough. Him agreeing to a trade could help rebuild pittsburgh which im sure he would like and im sure they would miraculously against all odds get the number one overall again and get the next big talent.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Should, but I feel they won't, hopefully Sid is smart enough to request out.

This fetish people have for stars retiring with teams is so dumb in certain cases like this one;
Sid can still be a fantastic NHL player, why waste that on a team going nowhere?
The pens cannot and will not be good for at least the next 4 years, what's the point of finishing 9-12th and not bottoming out for a top end talent?

It's a waste of Sid's time, the Pens time and ultimately the fans time. Sid can honestly play as long as he wants (basically), he can always come back for a year in 2-3-4 years and be a 3C/4C on a young and up and coming team if he wants to retire a Pen so badly. In the mean time, he should look to win some cups or go play in some cool places that he wants to, maybe Montreal or Edmonton or Toronto or Vancouver or w.e he wants (after next year of Colorado ofc)

He did everything he could for the Pens, they won it all and conquered the NHL world, time for a new chapter and not to waste everyone's time. That said Sid has 100% "earned" the right to do w.e he wants, but I do think it would be a horrible decision for everyone involved.

Ultimately that whole core needs to move on

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They shouldn’t and hopefully won’t.

But the org is run by idiots so who knows??
Why shouldn't they ? The Pens window is closed, you're literally wasting the last couple years of his career, at least get some value for him. Pens will be in no mans land for a LONG time if they don't move on from him. He's too good to keep them in the basement, but they're not bad enough to get a high draft pick. It's literally a lose lose for Crosby and the Pens, if they don't trade him.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
As much as I like 1 team loyalty, I’d rather see a long term hockey icon to play relevant hockey during their later years.

Crosby should move on. I don’t think he will though.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
They should only trade him if he asks to be traded.
I think I agree with this. For me, I like to see guys stick with one team....the big stars anyway....it's doesn't mean a ton, but it does have the little extra nicety. Always cool bringing up a guys stats and seeing only one team.

Anyway, normally, there will be a point where a player will bring some good value back to a team trying to rebuild towards the end of their career and if they don't, that value will erode until the player retires, but if the player doesn't want to be traded, I don't think the team should trade them....again, talking about true franchise players like a Crosby....team loyalty does have value too, it can attract players to the city if they see loyalty given to other players, etc. I think it also holds value to the local fan base.

Interesting to see the reports about Crosby suggesting 3 teams he'd go to....not sure how much truth there is to that.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Depends on what their goal is.

Compete for a cup as soon as possible? Yeah, absolutely. They can still get a decent return for him and the team as it stands right now is bad. They could really jumpstart a rebuild.

Build and maintain branding, marketing, and sales? No way. His name carries weight and having it associated with your franchise is valuable. Ticket sales / profits will likely plummet if they trade him until the team is good again - and even then probably not to the same level.

I don’t know that there’s really a wrong answer. Pros and cons to both. Just depends on how the GM views the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad