Should Lafreniere Go to WJC?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wish there was better options:

1) Yes, no matter when the NHL starts again
2) No, if the NHL looks like it will Start in Jan, but Yes if it doesn't like it will start before Feb.
3) No, no matter when the NHL starts again.

I want him playing there if the NHL isn't starting up before Feb. If it looks like they will play early Jan, then no.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I would like to see him and Kakko go. See if you can have them not play in at least one of the Slovakia/Germany games.

Giving them competitive practices and 5-6 games will be good for them just to get back to that game feeling.

All based on the NHL starting in February, if they start early January then no.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I would like to see him and Kakko go. See if you can have them not play in at least one of the Slovakia/Germany games.

Giving them competitive practices and 5-6 games will be good for them just to get back to that game feeling.

All based on the NHL starting in February, if they start early January then no.
Kakko I don't want going. Makes no sense for him to go after playing a full year in the NHL already.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, if he wants to go. Same with Kakko.

Lafrenière hasn't played a game since March. Kakko has played 3 competitive games in that same span. An 8 month off-season should be enough, right? Actually 9 by the time the WJC starts

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Normally Laf probably would've went to Traverse, so as long as it doesn't interfere with training camp too much, I'd say yes (also, selfishly, I'd like to watch a certified Rangers prospect dominate the WJCs)

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I wish there was better options:

1) Yes, no matter when the NHL starts again
2) No, if the NHL looks like it will Start in Jan, but Yes if it doesn't like it will start before Feb.
3) No, no matter when the NHL starts again.

I want him playing there if the NHL isn't starting up before Feb. If it looks like they will play early Jan, then no.
I want to get a more definitive consensus rather than splintering the vote over technicalities, the question should obvs be based on the premise that he would be able to complete the tournament without it interfering with training camp. The debate seems to be about whether he should risk injury etc or get more rest.

Myself I think he's gotten too much rest and needs to play some hockey to get back in the swing of things. I think the greater risk of injury would be a kid coming in to the NHL without playing competitive hockey in nearly a calendar year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well hopefully we will know soon if we are having a season.
Very simple to me. If no season then leave it up to him.
If there is a season no.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
No.

he’s already dominated this tournament. Not worth the risk of injury/covid.
I'd think he's a lot more likely to get Covid living normal life than playing in a bubble lol
And don't you think he'll have a greater risk of injury as a rookie coming into the NHL with a target on his back when he hasn't played hockey in a year? He needs some action under his belt

Reactions: Thirty One

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd think he's a lot more likely to get Covid living normal life than playing in a bubble lol
And don't you think he'll have a greater risk of injury as a rookie coming into the NHL with a target on his back when he hasn't played hockey in a year? He needs some action under his belt

Playing in a tournament under weird circumstances against kids isn't going to help him get the kind of reps that he needs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
how exactly is the league being an embarassment?
Not a single other league is kicking around the idea of missing the season. The NBA already has a start date. MLS, which has a worse tv deal, has played their entire season right through covid without a problem.

This has nothing to do with covid. They're having another f***ing labor dispute (what is this, five in my lifetime?) in the middle of a pandemic.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not a single other league is kicking around the idea of missing the season. The NBA already has a start date. MLS, which has a worse tv deal, has played their entire season right through covid without a problem.

This has nothing to do with covid. They're having another f***ing labor dispute (what is this, five in my lifetime?) in the middle of a pandemic.

It's not a labor dispute and it's much more complicated than you are making it out to be. Lots of Owners and Teams simply can't survive a full season without fans and the lost revenue....Nobody wants to lose a season and this is not some bargaining for future negotiations or anything like that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's not a labor dispute and it's much more complicated than you are making it out to be. Lots of Owners and Teams simply can't survive a full season without fans and the lost revenue....Nobody wants to lose a season and this is not some bargaining for future negotiations or anything like that.
Again, MLS did with a worse tv deal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The operating costs of an MLS team are almost certainly exponentially lower than that of an NHL team, and NHL teams are much more dependent on gate revenue.
Why would NHL teams be much more dependent on gate revenue? Which part of "MLS has a worse tv deal" is not registering?

The bigger leagues don't have the same problem because they're bigger. The smaller leagues don't have the same problem because they're smaller. Always an excuse.

The f***ing NWHL has a start date. They have no gate AND no television.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad