Should a Player be Penalized/Suspended for a Clean Hit if the other Player is Injured On the Play?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
This isn't a simple matter of missing the shoulder.
Why not? Is it because Wilson do it too fast? That fast that when opponent put his shoulder down the last moment, Wilson can't avoid the head? So, new rule you suggesting is that you can make a hit but don't skate too fast? I would like to see linesmen with radars lol.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hockey is a contact sport. That’s like saying suspend a NFL player who accidentally injures a player on a clean tackle/block.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Suspended for a clean hit, absolutely not (& the DOPS, as screwed up as it is gets that right most all of the time). Penalized/jumped by the other team, happens all the time. The difference being that the DOPS has time to actually reflect/see multiple angles on the play. The officials/other team just sees the play in real time & reacts (officials do have the option of reversing themselves after sorting out the melee/seeing a replay, however that rarely seems to happen)

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This sounds dangerously like victim blaming Sundqvist for Wilson crushing him in the head.
We really need a dislike button on this site. No one is blaming Sundqvist for getting hit in the head but if he continues to cut across the middle with his head down Hus career will be very short. Players have to start learning how to protect themselves a but better.

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This got 5 and a game.

Unfortunately, refs will look at the outcome and just throw out a game misconduct if a player is injured. Honestly, look for guys to start selling hits in order to gain a 5 minute major, that's where we're heading.

Tell me on what planet this is a 5 and a game. This is as clean of a hit as you could deliver.

In today's game this is not a clean hit. He made contact with his head. But this is another one of those hits where the guy had his head down. It was already too late for Miller to avoid hitting him and its almost impossible to not make contact with his head on that play because his head was down.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Short answer: no

Longer answer: Every time an elite player hits a scrub, the scrub would be incentivized to fake an injury to draw a penalty/suspension.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
In today's game this is not a clean hit. He made contact with his head. But this is another one of those hits where the guy had his head down. It was already too late for Miller to avoid hitting him and its almost impossible to not make contact with his head on that play because his head was down.

This should not be legal. Hits should be allowed to separate player from the puck with the intend of taking the puck back. Here the goal is to injure/take him out of the play. No way he's trying to get the puck back and make a play.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I absolute disagree with your take on this hit. It was f***ing beautiful.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I absolute disagree with your take on this hit. It was ****ing beautiful.
How can you disagree with my take on this hit? I actually liked the hit too but with the rules now that wasnt a legal hit. He got him in the head with his shoulder.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Simple question, Player A hits player B hard with a check that is within the rules. Player B gets injured on the play. Should Player A be penalized or suspended because Player B was injured?

Take the Wilson hit for example since its fresh. If Wilson had delivered a clean check in that moment and Sundqvist was still injured on the play. Should Wilson still be penalized/suspended? If so, why?

If it was a clean hit, then no why would it be penalized.

But in Tom's case, it was a predatory hit to a player in a vulnerable spot, you know the sort of thing the league is trying to get rid of and something Tom seems to do quite frequently without the league actually holding up its end of the bargain and getting rid of people like that and that hit from the game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
This is a horrible idea for so many reasons. It would probably also lead to more embellishing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There was once a time when hitting/checking was about separating the man from the puck. Those times and intentions have clearly passed us by.

Simple answer is no, are you going to extend that to an accidental high stick too?

I hate this line. Hits have served a purpose more than just seperating tge man from the puck for like 50 years now.

A big hit can change the tempo of a game, intimidate, hurt to make opposing players less effective, and change team morale.

(If done cleanly of course)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Why not? Is it because Wilson do it too fast? That fast that when opponent put his shoulder down the last moment, Wilson can't avoid the head? So, new rule you suggesting is that you can make a hit but don't skate too fast? I would like to see linesmen with radars lol.
You're continuing on the premise that the only reason this happened is because the hit happened at high speed. Bullshit. I'm so sick of people acting like when a high hit happens, it was the only physical course of action the hitting player had. And then many times those same people will be like "people around here must not have played hockey"

Wilson dipped the shoulder low before making the hit and lifted it high when he sought impact. He didn't have to do that to a player he knew wasn't expecting it. He absolutely could've hit through the body going through the arm.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
[mod]

No. Thousand times no. If you said such a thing in my presence we’d never watch a hockey game together again, and I’d debate our social interaction flat out... A legal hit is a legal hit, no punishment. Holy hell what an idiotic idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Wait that's not a new rule, that's an old rule called charging...

Look, it would be different if it was a Lady Byng candidate throwing out the hit. You might give him the benefit of the doubt that it was an accident. Tom Wilson was JUST suspended and has a history of this sort of thing.

Like I have a Matthew Tkachuk avatar but if he did something crazy on the ice, even I'd assume he did it on purpose.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Wilson dipped the shoulder low before making the hit and lifted it high when he sought impact. He didn't have to do that to a player he knew wasn't expecting it. He absolutely could've hit through the body going through the arm.
Like it was said before, he should have get on his knees to hit his shoulder because Oskar put his dow after shot.
upload_2018-10-3_10-51-55.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad