Shots on goal and shooting percentage

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
This may be a really dumb question. I get Advanced Stands kind of but not all the way. But anyways. I know The wild got outshot more than they should have. But Could some of that be because they had a terrible shooting percentage? Also could Thomas Vanek help that?

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
This may be a really dumb question. I get Advanced Stands kind of but not all the way. But anyways. I know The wild got outshot more than they should have. But Could some of that be because they had a terrible shooting percentage? Also could Thomas Vanek help that?

So team has a low shooting % leads to them being out shot?
If a team has a lower % of time of possession that will lead to them getting out shot. For me I do not see the math theory of how the wild having a low shooting % linked to them being out shot. time of possession yes.

Nearly all teams that have low time of possession get out shot every game

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

No, getting out shot and having a low shooting % are not related IMO, but its a recipe for disaster if your team has the 2. Getting out shot and having a low shooting % is like - terrible. And idk about vanek he'll definitely help with goalscoring but whether he's a good or bad corsi player i don't know.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I don't think there's any causation between a low shot count and low shooting percentage unless there's something to do with low talent on the team which I don't think is the case with the Wild. Theoretically adding a sniper will bump up the shooting % but won't, imo, make a significant dent on the shots for. Some of that is attributable to systems, some of it to talent.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Shooting percentage has a minimal impact on whether you're outshot or not, or by how much. And when it's present, it actually tends to go the other way. Teams being outshot a ton have a higher shooting percentage and teams massively outshooting their opponents tend to have a lower percentage.

As far as if Vanek can help you being outshot as much, it's possible. He's generally been an average possession player, sometimes a little above average sometimes below. He's not going to be expected to drive elite possession numbers, but if you're going from bad to average, that's still an improvement.

Regarding shooting percentage, Vanek has always had a high on-ice shooting percentage, frequently ranking at or near the top of his team. Part of that is due to the role he plays. He has an good shot, but he's also got incredible hands in front and an excellent ability to redirect pucks in when screening or to tap in rebounds, often while falling/being pulled down. Many of the goals he scores are of the "dirty" variety, which is one reason why he has trouble staying healthy, he takes a beating.

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012
I just made some graphs for 2013-2014 5v5 sv% vs SA/g and sh% vs SF/g. No trend can be found in the data.

This would suggest that these stats do not impact each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad