NHL Entry Draft: Shot in the dark at draft

TwoLinePass94

Jun 14, 2019
This is just a opinionated guess at how this draft MIGHT unfold after the top 2.

1. NJ Devils: C- Jack Hughes
I know everyone thinks this is set in stone and at this point it’s probably 99% certain but the Devils fail as an organization if they don’t at least look at Kakko a bit hard here
2. NY Rangers: W- Kappo Kakko
Easiest pick in this entire draft, they get either the all-star caliber winger or center...Rangers fans should be excited beyond measure for this pick
3. Chicago: C- Alex Turcotte
This is the first “twist” in the draft, Byram is the 3rd best prospect but I truly believe that after spending a lot of draft capital on D the last few drafts they grab their hometown Toews replacement
4. Colorado: C- Dylan Cozens
Another plot twist with this one, Sakic is playing with house money with this pick and I know everyone wants or thinks Byram doesn’t make it past here but if you look at Colorado they need a 2nd line that can take some pressure off the 1st and that starts with the C that can skate like McKinnon.
5. LA Kings: D- Bowen Byram
Blake and the kings “lost” the lottery but walk away one of the happiest teams, I truly believe that outside the top 2, this is the team that would have Byram rated 3rd overall.
6. Detroit: W- Vasili Podkolzin
The new GM of the red wings clearly showed in Tampa that Russians do not scare him and Podkolzin has top 3 talent, ppl will also argue that there’s no way Yzerman makes this pick but it fits perfectly.
7. Buffalo: W- Cole Caufield
I guess you can call this a reach but the kid broke records set by some pretty good players, if he were 5’10 he would be fighting as a top 4 caliber guy, with Eichel and Dahlin feeding him he has 40 goal Debrincat type potential
8: Edmonton: D- Philip Broberg
Ok hear me out, yes the oilers need help at W and there are some good ones sitting there but Holland isn’t afraid to grab his guys and develop them, you can’t teach the physical gifts Broberg has and if he reaches his potential then he and Bouchard will be a formidable pairing in the West if not the NHL.
9. Anaheim: C- Trevor Zegras
I know, Kirby Dach has Duck written all over the guy but with the way the NHL is shaping up talent wise and speed wise, the ducks are big and slow and Zegras will change that when he leaves school, the kid is a shifty gifted playmaker and will be a top 6 C for them.
10. Vancouver: C- Kirby Dach
Dach doesn’t make it past the Canucks, Boldy works here too if Dach is gone but if you can shift Dach to wing and put him with Bo Horvat then all of a sudden the Canucks top 6 looks pretty good and if he develops well and shifts Bo to a 2B instead of 3C then even better.
11: Philadelphia: W- Matthew Boldy
The drafts top rated Swiss Army knife goes to the team that heavily valued that type of player. Boldly will be a solid player and the Flyers are glad to pick him outside the top 10.
12: Minnesota: C- Peyton Krebs
This guy has too 10 talent but so do 12 other guys, the Wild could go D here but Krebs even with the freak injury is clearly BPA and will be a warrior for the Wild down the line.
13: Florida: D- Victor Soderstrom
I know the growing consensus is that Florida is going to take Spencer Knight, Knight does have first round talent but I don’t know if 13 is a good spot, Florida has a ton of good FWd prospects and grab the Swedish D who looked very comfortable in the SHL...bonus is the fact he is RH.
14: Arizona: W- Raphael Lavoie
This is probably the first real “reach” of the draft, but the kid has shown he can be a gamer come playoff time and the fact he is a big kid that can protect Keller down the line helps make this selection.
15: Montreal: D- Moritz Seider
If Lavoie is still here then Montreal takes a good hard look at a Pacioretty replacement, but taking a D is their best option and Seider is no consolation prize, the ROY in the DEL is a big RHD and reminds me of Parayko
16. Colorado: C Alex Newhook
Sakic has shown that Junior A doesn’t scare him and the chance to grab the best ranked A player is too good to pass up, Newhook is also a speedster and all of a sudden that future 2nd line in Colorado looks fast and dangerous.
17: Vegas: G Spencer Knight
The public relations department is giddy as all heck here, The Knights draft Knight, all kidding aside this is a good range for Knight to go and the Knights could use a goalie of the future for Fleury.
18: Dallas: W- Arthur Kaliyev
Kaliyev scores at a top 10 pace but the kid has too many deficiencies to be drafted that high, 18 is a good spot and I truly believe the Stars will be happy to scoop him up right here.
19: Ottawa: D - Cam York
All those fwds in that legendary USNDP team needed someone to get them the puck, The Sens grab this new generation D and hope he can develop into a top 2 or at least top 4 type guy who can put up 40.
20: NY Rangers: D- Thomas Harley
After grabbing yet another heralded FWD to add to that amazing prospect group the Rangers go with a D here in Harley who has all the raw talent but needs some more development and direction to become a top 4 guy which at 20 would be a nice pick.
21: Pittsburgh: C- Ryan Suzuki
Honestly the Pens can go any number of ways but I feel that Suzuki will eventually develop into a new top 6 C that they will need down the line.
22: LA Kings: W- Samuel Poulin
This is where the draft falls into anarchy players wise, the Kings grabbed Byram at 5 and could easily keep taking D but Poulin is a good grab at 22 and this team needs to get younger and faster.
23: NY Islanders: W- Phillip Tomasino
Tomasino had an amazing season in the OHL and the Islanders will gladly scoop up the skilled FWD at 23.
24: Nashville: W- Nils Hoglander
Nashville is gifted at drafting and developing D but they do that with picks after the 1st round, at 24 they take a winger who quite honestly can go top 18 but falls because of BPA, needs, and the fact that this first round is very murky in terms of tiers of players.
25: Washington: W- Pavel Dorofeyev
The Capitals are like the lightning, they do not fear the Russian players and Dorofeyev is another top 20 talent falling for various reasons, Capitals scoop him up with a smile on their face.
26: Calgary: D- Matthew Robertson
Calgary can sort of just take the BPA at this spot and I believe that is Robertson, they could easily take Heinola or someone like Brink but I think they take the WHL standout with size
27: Tampa Bay: D- Villa Heinola
Speaking of Heinola, this is as far as I see him falling, the kid can go anywhere from 12-27 but I think that speaks more about the depth of the draft than this kids ability.
28: Carolina: W- Bobby Brink
Brink put up impressive numbers in the USHL and would be a great pick for the Hurricanes at 28
29: Anaheim: D Vladislav Kolyachonok
Anaheim probably spreads out there picks having going FWD at 9, Vladislav came over and played for Flint so you know that he likes NA and if he develops right then the Ducks will look like winners this draft.
30: Boston: D- Lassi Thomson
Boston grabs the Finnish D out of Kelowna, he is pretty raw but Kelowna can develop D and Boston can be patient with him.
31: Buffalo: C- Connor McMichael
Buffalo keeps loading up on FWDs here, there are some D they might take in Vlasic but McMicheal is better so you grab him.

Reactions: flyersdad

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Spot on for Byram and LA. I think LA will be familiar with Tomasino who plays with Akil Thomas. I like him more than Poulin at 22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad