Speculation: Shot Blockers. An Honest Question.

Is he?

• Total voters

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Out of curiosity for Oiler history.

Is Russell "Techncally" the greatest shot blocker of all time?

Could you merit " Generational Shot Blocker" The 1st ever? Past and future?

There will be an award for this one day. They will call it The Kris Russell Award for shot blocking. If they don't, it would be a crime. Sacrificing the body, and he still gets up and does it again.

Can someone remind me of the best shotblockers we had on the Oilers?

Smid? Gresbeshkov? Gilbert?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Boyd Gordan. He was one of the best we've had. I hope we can find another player like him.

Edit: Best, in quality shot blocking. Can someone confirm this? He was a beast on the Pk right?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Here's the top ten all-time for the Oilers:
1aedcec63b05b9e40d7ce59f0978d053.png

NHL Stats

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
No he’s not

The stat was only officially recorded since 2005-06 season

Players were built different back in the day so I find it unlikely that a guy doesn’t have double that

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Out of curiosity for Oiler history.

Is Russell "Techncally" the greatest shot blocker of all time?

Could you merit " Generational Shot Blocker" The 1st ever? Past and future?

There will be an award for this one day. They will call it The Kris Russell Award for shot blocking. If they don't, it would be a crime. Sacrificing the body, and he still gets up and does it again.

Can someone remind me of the best shotblockers we had on the Oilers?

Smid? Gresbeshkov? Gilbert?

Don’t forget Lowe

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Shot blocking is like a double edged sword to me. If you block a lot of them, then that's great because you're limiting shots on goal and potential goals. But it may also speak to you spending a bit too much time in your zone, as opposed to someone who is always on the attack. For example, it's unlikely Cale Makar will ever block a lot of shots.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Shot blocking is like a double edged sword to me. If you block a lot of them, then that's great because you're limiting shots on goal and potential goals. But it may also speak to you spending a bit too much time in your zone, as opposed to someone who is always on the attack. For example, it's unlikely Cale Makar will ever block a lot of shots.

I agree. Though I've grown a bit of appreciation for Russell under Tippett since he has managed his usage much better than McLellan did. Since then, Russell has the least EV GA/60 on the team while being a solid contributor to the penalty kill as well.

He may not be great at moving the puck in the right direction, and his corski and fenskis suck, but he helps keep the puck out of the net. Granted some of this quality of competition, but ultimatlely what you want in your 6th or 7th defenseman is someone that doesn't give up a lot of goals.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He very well could be. Being good defensively and being good at blocking shots aren’t necessarily related. To be good at blocking shots, you have to have a little bit of craziness, like a goalie, and be the type of person that will do anything to win. And then, like anything, actually develop the skill. I can’t speak about anyone before like the mid 90s, but he definitely stands out in the last 20-25 years

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I remember Steve staios as only good for shot blocking, a lot like russel

Steady Steve and Jason Smith were actually a pretty good pairing. Not a lot of offense obviously, but just a gritty, tough as nails, shutdown line.

In a weird way, I kind of miss those early 2000s lunch bucket Oilers teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad