Short Season Moves to Help Canes

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
It is gonna be a sprint to the finish this year if it is a shortened season. What additions or moves do the Canes need to make to be on the top?

Canes Site Depth Chart Lines:

Staal-Staal-Semin
Jussi-Ruutu-Skinner
Tlusty-WELSH-dwyer
Stewart-Brent-LaRose
Nodl

Gleason-Corvo
Harrison-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain

Personally I like:

Staal-Staal-Skinner
Jussi-Ruutu-Semin
Tlusty-Arnott-Huselius
Bowman-Brent-LaRose
Stewart

Gleason-Corvo
Harrison-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Gragnani

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Definitely could go for a #3 centerman if we're going to make a deep run. Other then that I don't think we need to change much that won't cost us a fortune. Arnott could be capable and fill a veteran leadership hole that we have as well.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
You can scratch Ruutu off that roster for a shortened season. I'm not his Dr, but he isn't anywhere near ready to skate.

Welsh does not look NHL ready either.

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
Welsh is not going to make the team looking at his games in Charlotte, he has lots of work to do before he makes it full time in the NHL

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I believe it was hip surgery....he's hobbling around on crutches right now.

Are you positive? I have tried to find an article, albeit not that much, and haven't found anything. I'm not doubting you if you have seen him/know as a fact he had it, just that I don't remember hearing this or can't dig up anything about him. Quite disappointing news even if there isn't a season for a physical player.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I have no idea the actual timetable for his return. I didn't ask him any details. But he's rehabbing right now. I spoke with him about a week ago. He's on crutches, and not at all very mobile. I'm pretty sure I could skate circles around him right now! There's hasn't been any public announcement of him having any work done that I know of. I didn't know until I ran into him last week.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Welsh has really started clicking in the last few weeks. He moves well for a big fella. Id be shocked if they didnt give him a look somewhere. They sounded like he was going straight into the lineup when we signed him. I doubted him greatly based on the first two months, but now he looks like the guy they signed. He's big with hands and generally solid instincts. I think he'll be in the mix.

Heard nothing about ruutu before. Did he just have surgery now? You would think he'd had done it ASAP during a lockout year.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
What about Zubrus to add some size/skill to the 3rd line? Good veteran presence for the playoffs to me thinks.

At the deadline if we are in a playoff position, sure.

At this point though, I think we need to give some of these kids in Charlotte the chance at that third line spot, pushing Jokinen to 3rd line center so the kids can play winger. They're ALL playing like they want to be here.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
At the deadline if we are in a playoff position, sure.

At this point though, I think we need to give some of these kids in Charlotte the chance at that third line spot, pushing Jokinen to 3rd line center so the kids can play winger. They're ALL playing like they want to be here.

I agree 100%, I'm operating under the ssumption that this team is good enough to hit a 4-6 spot at worst and should give the Caps a run for the title.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I also personally think we've really got something with Tlusty. I think it's a waste not playing him with Staal, considering their chemistry, plus the fact that he's backed it up overseas with Jagr and Plekanec.

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Ruutu

The third line becomes an interesting predicament, because you've basically got room for ONE of the guys from Charlotte, with in my estimation 6 guys that are worth giving a look. Two options:

Jokinen - Nash/Welsh - Larose

OR

Dalpe/Bowman/Boychuk/Terry - Jokinen - Larose

Then pick your favorite combination:

Stewart/Sutter - Brent - Nodl/Dwyer

Personally, I don't get the Staal/Staal combo at even strength. You build down the middle, and considering S12's chemistry with Tlusty and his sure-to-be-attempted-to-be forced chemistry with Semin, I think it's just wasted depth. At every other point in the game? Play them together as much as possible. Staal-Staal should be our top PK unit, Staal-Staal should be our starting OT unit, but as far as typical 5-on-5 lines go, I say hit them with the one-two punch rather than play one of them out of position (and apparently JStaal's looked brutal there in the past) to try to squeeze out any brotherly chemistry they've got going for them...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Tlusty-staal-semin
Skinner-staal-larose
Ruutu-jokinen-bowman/boychuk/dalpe/welsh

The Finns on the third line gives us legit depth. This lineup has been killing it for me on Xbox live - the true indicator of potential success.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Tlusty-staal-semin
Skinner-staal-larose
Ruutu-jokinen-bowman/boychuk/dalpe/welsh

The Finns on the third line gives us legit depth. This lineup has been killing it for me on Xbox live - the true indicator of potential success.

I know the XBox Live thing is sarcasm, but I'm totally OK with this lineup. Better than the one that the Canes depth chart suggests... If anything though, I'd switch the kids with Larose, let whoever makes it play with Skinner and JStaal...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah I struggle with larose but truth is he could be a good glue guy on this line. Maybe larose would be good with the Finns as well, I just think larose would probably pop in 15-20 if he's with skinner/staal duo, doing their dirty work as well. It's also realistic due to the staffs adoration of larose.

I use this lineup for real on Xbox, because I think it's the best spread of chemistry and talent.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's legit. Custance just tweeted that Ruutu's out until May.

And I have to agree. Why the hell would he wouldn't he have gotten that surgery done in the offseason heading into what was expected by basically everyone to be a long lockout.

Good news for Bowman and Boychuk though I guess, one more open top 9 forward spot for them to earn.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Got beaten to it by two different people...

Oh well, so Ruutu's out until the playoffs that we may or may not make...

I traded him for Hamonic in NHL 13. We should do that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->