Post-Game Talk: shorks @ cops, 12:37pm

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I was guilty of switching off after the empty net goal by Couture, so I had to go back and re-watch. And I'm glad they won, I really am.

But I really hope the coaching staff sit them down and say it should never have come to that. Because while I think the team played reasonably well up to the empty netter (or let's say it wasn't their worst effort recently), the Sharks are not a good team and they were playing their 3rd game in 4 days. Our guys should have won that game without needing to resort to some ridiculous "first time in 15 years" fluke. And I try more than a lot of folks around here to not go the doom and gloom route, but I don't think this victory is one where we all pat each other on the back and say
"Hey, how about our team!! They can win every which way imaginable!" (even though they, err, can, and did).

Add to that, San Jose, a West Coast team was playing an early game on the East Coast.

Caps had all the advantages there.

Still, take the two points and get ready for Ottawa.

Reactions: Calicaps and Heath

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
As for Ovechkin.....the other day I was going to call him a passenger. Now I'm inclined to call him a drunk driver. How many times did Holtby actually save his ass tonight? There were 3 that I saw.

Can't criticise the guy for whatever injuries are limiting his effectiveness at the moment, but he is clearly unmotivated and is playing lazy, uninspired hockey. He has done so much for the team and the organisation and the game
that he pretty much has the longest leash in the league, but I hope he snaps out of it and starts to give a shit again, and sooner rather than later. Because watching him at the moment is frustrating and kind of pissing me off (yeah I know, self entitled, spoiled hockey fan,
who the hell do I think I am :laugh: )

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
According to some people, playing a 1 pm game against a non-conference opponent in January is justification enough.

I don't think that a good justification. However, I do believe that we are going to have to start cutting more slack to a 34 year old Ovechkin going through his 15th(?) regular season. He goes through these down stretches every season, what are you going to do?

Right now Ovi, Backstrom and Wilson are dragging each other down. Both Reirden and Trotz before him are not line jugglers. Lines get a chance to play their way out of a funk. On balance, I like the approach.

Sep 19, 2008

tvs are all around the concourse there's no need to leave. I leave my seat if I have to go the bathroom the last 3 minutes. Then I watch on TV to make sure I don't miss anything.

The last game I remember leaving before it was over was Game 6 of the Rangers Caps series where the Rangers tied the series 3-3. Caps made a hell of a comeback. I remember being at the Metro station and then using the card to get out just so I could try to get back in :laugh: Ended up watching the end at a bar and they didn't win obviously but that was probably the last major one.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Is it time to worry about Ovi or na?

I hope they ease back on his minutes. He's 9th amongst forwards in TOI right now, and on pace for 1690 minutes. As far as I can tell, only one forward age 34 or older in the last ten seasons (Martin St Louis at 35 in 10/11) has played that many minutes in single year. If he's concerned enough about wear and tear to sit out the ASG, maybe it's time to dial his TOI/G back too.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
According to some people, playing a 1 pm game against a non-conference opponent in January is justification enough.

Overly simplistic take is simplistic.

Actually some people understand that over 82 games, over three periods, over 20 some players, no one is going to play at peak intensity for every single period of every single game. Teams and players have ebbs and flows within a season and within a game. Some people understand that players who routinely score 50 goals and routinely have slow streaks usually around midseason, are not cause for hitting the panic button. Some people understand that, given that you can't be at 100% for every period of every game, there are some games that are better to be sharp for than others. Finally, some people understand that all this hand wringing and teeth gnashing over a few lazy performances on a team in first place in the NHL just looks amateurish.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Overly simplistic take is simplistic.

Actually some people understand that over 82 games, over three periods, over 20 some players, no one is going to play at peak intensity for every single period of every single game. Teams and players have ebbs and flows within a season and within a game. Some people understand that players who routinely score 50 goals and routinely have slow streaks usually around midseason, are not cause for hitting the panic button. Some people understand that, given that you can't be at 100% for every period of every game, there are some games that are better to be sharp for than others. Finally, some people understand that all this hand wringing and teeth gnashing over a few lazy performances on a team in first place in the NHL just looks amateurish.

KSD from way downtown, BANG!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just saw the highlights, what a game. One of those legendary regular season games you won't forget, kind of like the
one against the Rangers a few years back where the Caps came down from 4-0 to win it (in regulation). Fun.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I just came to realize how proud I am of the Caps being the best team in the NHL when Ovie is having his worst season in a very long time and Holtby is Swiss Cheese. Todd is a very good coach even if he does have a few flaws. Why are we always so unpleased? :puppy:

Thats a very good question. It seems if we are not actively in the process of celebrating a Stanley Cup victory from a few days ago, some people just like to moan about some things.

Whats funny is, some people think BMac screwed up with his roster decisions on guys like Panic and Hags, and others think TR screws up with his coaching because we take lazy penalties too much, and others see Ovi's play and think "we are in trouble".

But here we are, in 1st place with a TON of room to improve.

Somewhere, someone, is doing something, right. Its taken 45 years but I've learned to focus on those things instead.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I just came to realize how proud I am of the Caps being the best team in the NHL when Ovie is having his worst season in a very long time and Holtby is Swiss Cheese. Todd is a very good coach even if he does have a few flaws. Why are we always so unpleased? :puppy:

We should win every game with a 10-0 score and 20-0 vs Pens, otherwise it's not fair.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Why? As you say Ov is cold. Holtby sucks. Eller is the worst player in the league only a half a step worse than Jensen who doesn't belong in the NHL. Then there is Hagelin and Panik. I mean, you realize this is a really awful team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad