Confirmed with Link: Shootings Canada's Parliament

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Not gonna get into a debate over religion because it's pointless. I'm "irreligious" myself, but the fact is that anyone can take a religious text and twist it to their own purposes. The KKK hid behind the Bible. Irish people have killed each other for generations over a different interpretation of the same book.

My point is that the vast majority of Christians, Jews and Muslims don't go around killing other people in the name of their faith. It is exactly certain fundamentalist factions and others who ignore the bigger message and zoom in on certain details and passages while ignoring others.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Not gonna get into a debate over religion because it's pointless. I'm "irreligious" myself, but the fact is that anyone can take a religious text and twist it to their own purposes. The KKK hid behind the Bible. Irish people have killed each other for generations over a different interpretation of the same book.

My point is that the vast majority of Christians, Jews and Muslims don't go around killing other people in the name of their faith. It is exactly certain fundamentalist factions and others who ignore the bigger message and zoom in on certain details and passages while ignoring others.

Religion is at the heart of this murder, though. Only for the fear mongering, not the motives. Also, that's what it was, a murder. Not terrorism. The only reason it's called terrorism is because of the man's religion. If this is a crackhead of any other denomination it's a murder, and vastly ignored by the public. He happened to be a muslim convert, so it's called terrorism.

I said it in the GDT when the Canadian teams did the simul-anthem. This is a massive overreaction by the public in the name of nationalism for the US vs THEM attitude. Change minor details, and the reaction is entirely different. Change the victims profession to literally anything else, and/or change the man's religion to literally anything else, and this is a brushed off story.

Also, yeah religions are ****. The examples I gave about when it's okay to kill are explicit in those texts. Technically, anyone not killing for those reasons shouldn't be identifying with those texts at all. Maybe you're right about not talking about religion in this topic, because it really did have nothing to do with anything, but to say it's not clearly known when to kill in Abrahamic religions is wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->