Injury Report: Shohei Ohtani has new damage in his UCL, will undergo Tommy John surgery

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He's pretty darn good on the mound.

How good is good though. Is he Jacob DeGrom good or Kerry Wood good. Most of these pitchers could hit but they gave it up to focus on pitching because it was a way that they could stand out. They were the best athletes but way easier to stick out as a solid pitcher. You already see that they will likely now miss his bat due to an injury for his pitching. I know TJ surgery isnt the big deal it used to be but when you hit every off day and you can't play because of that you're hurting your team twice over.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
How good is good though. Is he Jacob DeGrom good or Kerry Wood good. Most of these pitchers could hit but they gave it up to focus on pitching because it was a way that they could stand out. They were the best athletes but way easier to stick out as a solid pitcher. You already see that they will likely now miss his bat due to an injury for his pitching. I know TJ surgery isnt the big deal it used to be but when you hit every off day and you can't play because of that you're hurting your team twice over.

Who else is DeGrom?

He's a front of the rotation type of pitcher.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Who else is DeGrom?

He's a front of the rotation type of pitcher.

More or less my point. If hes not a generational out of this world talent at pitcher then why not just keep him and his bat healthy? My point in not so many words was if he's not out of this world you can live with him not remaining a starter.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
More or less my point. If hes not a generational out of this world talent at pitcher then why not just keep him and his bat healthy? My point in not so many words was if he's not out of this world you can live with him not remaining a starter.

Because you have a chance to have TOR arm and a 30-HR guy all in one.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Maybe instead of doing this now, we could’ve done it last offseason. Or when he first started having problems. Or when we gave him that pointless start. Nope, when we wait until a lost season is over and let it impact more seasons of trying to contend with Trout.

Dumbest. Organization. Ever.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Maybe instead of doing this now, we could’ve done it last offseason. Or when he first started having problems. Or when we gave him that pointless start. Nope, when we wait until a lost season is over and let it impact more seasons of trying to contend with Trout.

Dumbest. Organization. Ever.

He only had a Grade 1 sprain at that time which is stretching and not a tear. And they have him that injection thing and stopped throwing for a month. There's not much else they could have done. Tommy John at that point would have been an overreaction.

And then Angel fans would have just bitched about this season instead of next.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
He only had a Grade 1 sprain at that time which is stretching and not a tear. And they have him that injection thing and stopped throwing for a month. There's not much else they could have done. Tommy John at that point would have been an overreaction.

And then Angel fans would have just *****ed about this season instead of next.

I dunno. I think he's a solid two way player with potential, but still think he's far from this generational all-star he's being made out to be. Now he's blown any chance at pitching and who knows what the injury has done to his hitting. He's a .280 hitter. Nice but there's plenty of .280 hitters in the league.

I watched him this past weekend in Houston and he went 1 for 12 with 6 Ks in the series. Nothing really to write home about. Hope he can heal up though.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I dunno. I think he's a solid two way player with potential, but still think he's far from this generational all-star he's being made out to be. Now he's blown any chance at pitching and who knows what the injury has done to his hitting. He's a .280 hitter. Nice but there's plenty of .280 hitters in the league.

I watched him this past weekend in Houston and he went 1 for 12 with 6 Ks in the series. Nothing really to write home about. Hope he can heal up though.

Batting average to evaluate a hitter is prehistoric.

Ohtani has serious pop and on-base ability to go with the raw bat on ball ability.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Batting average to evaluate a hitter is prehistoric.

Ohtani has serious pop and on-base ability to go with the raw bat on ball ability.

Of course. If he was batting .320 I'm sure you'd be saying it meant nothing lol. He was good this year, like plenty of other ballplayers. Nothing worth ROY or the nonsense that people were throwing around about him being an all-star. He was overhyped from the start, and the Angels like morons blew whatever potential he had with pitching.

As for his hitting, we'll have to see how he does going forward. Forgive me if I'm not putting him in the Hall of Fame yet. I'd like to see him play more than part of a season before he's anointed.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
He's had a great season at the plate, not just a good one. Pointing that out isn't labeling him the next Bonds.

Oh I'm sure he'll win ROY. Not much competition in the AL this year anyway. But he was tagged for that before he ever took or threw a pitch. He started out with that monster April and things got really silly after that, even ESPN putting up that "Ohtani Tracker". But after that fantastic April he batted .268 the rest of the way, yeah had some pop, a lot of Ks too.

Now thanks to the Angels insisting on putting him back out there to hit on a lousy team that despite adding this generational talent still finished 20+ games out, his pitching is on hold for probably two years and who knows how that will affect his hitting. Like someone else said, he's really hurting the team twice over, and who knows what he'll have for them going forward.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh I'm sure he'll win ROY. Not much competition in the AL this year anyway. But he was tagged for that before he ever took or threw a pitch. He started out with that monster April and things got really silly after that, even ESPN putting up that "Ohtani Tracker". But after that fantastic April he batted .268 the rest of the way, yeah had some pop, a lot of Ks too.

Now thanks to the Angels insisting on putting him back out there to hit on a lousy team that despite adding this generational talent still finished 20+ games out, his pitching is on hold for probably two years and who knows how that will affect his hitting. Like someone else said, he's really hurting the team twice over, and who knows what he'll have for them going forward.
He was tagged as a dual threat but most were/are surprised at how well he's done at the plate. After watching him hit a lot they might be better off just having him learn left and make him an everyday player.

I don't really know what the Angels could have done differently with him. He didn't have a tear so shutting him down and rest was the better option over surgery. Tj's aren't a good thing to have and should be worse case scenario since needing a 2nd usually means thr death of a pitching career.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I'd take a .280 hitter with 30 home run potential (even at DH) than a .300 singles hitter.

For what it's worth, he's exceeded my expectations for him as a hitter.

Oct 18, 2011

So you watched him for a weekend and decided he wasn't that good? Against the world series favorite gearing up for the playoff??

5th best OPS in the AL
5th in OPS+
He has 22 hr in 315 ab
His last two months when he's been hitting everyday his OPS is over 1.000

All while averaging 11 strikeouts per 9 innings as a pitcher.

His rookie year has been without a doubt very successful despite the injury.

It's his age 23 season

Oct 18, 2011
Of course. If he was batting .320 I'm sure you'd be saying it meant nothing lol. He was good this year, like plenty of other ballplayers. Nothing worth ROY or the nonsense that people were throwing around about him being an all-star. He was overhyped from the start, and the Angels like morons blew whatever potential he had with pitching.

As for his hitting, we'll have to see how he does going forward. Forgive me if I'm not putting him in the Hall of Fame yet. I'd like to see him play more than part of a season before he's anointed.
Guess where he ranks in WAR among rookies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad