Injury Report: Shohei Ohtani has new damage in his UCL, will undergo Tommy John surgery

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not good, no good at all. He's batting 3rd tonight tho wtf?

I guess batting can't do anymore damage...?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don’t think I can continue to support this team any longer. They are BY FAR the most incompetently run team in baseball. 7 years of the best player in baseball and 0 playoff wins speaks for itself. This organization has no clue how to field a competitive baseball team despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league. Several pitchers, both starters and relievers, continue to get Tommy John surgeries or other season ending injuries. Every. Damn. Year. I hope this pathetic ass organization enjoyed the 2.1 innings of Ohtani Sunday when the season was already over. Goodbye Angels. All I can hope for now is for Trout to leave this shit hole of a franchise and go to a team that gives a shit about winning.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
He should’ve had Tommy John months ago and they’re still keeping him in the lineup despite this news. This has got to be the dumbest attitude I’ve seen an organization take in quite some time. Have him undergo TJ and go through the regular rehab. It’s not that difficult to understand proper procedure in dealing with Tommy John surgery and recovery.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
SERIOUS QUESTION.

I was watching Sunday night with some buddies at a bar and noticed he left after 3 innings. I thought to myself at what point would they can this experiment? What would make them decide that maybe if hes good enough to hit everyday he shoulsb't be a pitcher? Does it make sense having him pitch going forward? This is new territory. I can't think of the last pitcher that could hit and was used on every off day just to do that. I mean if he can still bat now why have the surgery? Is he THAT great of a pitcher that this should continue?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He should’ve had Tommy John months ago and they’re still keeping him in the lineup despite this news. This has got to be the dumbest attitude I’ve seen an organization take in quite some time. Have him undergo TJ and go through the regular rehab. It’s not that difficult to understand proper procedure in dealing with Tommy John surgery and recovery.

Whether he had it in June or now, it really changes little to the timeline. He was missing 2019 either way.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don’t think I can continue to support this team any longer. They are BY FAR the most incompetently run team in baseball. 7 years of the best player in baseball and 0 playoff wins speaks for itself. This organization has no clue how to field a competitive baseball team despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league. Several pitchers, both starters and relievers, continue to get Tommy John surgeries or other season ending injuries. Every. Damn. Year. I hope this pathetic ass organization enjoyed the 2.1 innings of Ohtani Sunday when the season was already over. Goodbye Angels. All I can hope for now is for Trout to leave this **** hole of a franchise and go to a team that gives a **** about winning.
Dude what are you talking about? The organization didn't do anything wrong in how they handled him.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
starting him the other day was pretty damn stupid
Uh, no it wasn't. Thank God they did or else he would have torn it in the spring and lost two seasons instead of one.

Seeing what they had now vs in six months saved them six months. That is the opposite of stupid.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Uh, no it wasn't. Thank God they did or else he would have torn it in the spring and lost two seasons instead of one.

Seeing what they had now vs in six months saved them six months. That is the opposite of stupid.

you're acting as if they planned to start him so that he could further injure himself and get the surgery recommended today

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
you're acting as if they planned to start him so that he could further injure himself and get the surgery recommended today
What?

They started him based on the doctors clearing him and needing to know how he would respond.

You would have rather the team waited until spring to find that out? That makes zero sense.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The basis of the argument that the angels messed up in starting him goes against all logic.

If starting him was a mistake that is inferring he was still injured, which also infers the angels didn't know to what extent. Therefore it would have been better....to not find out until spring training next season? Huh?

The opposite of the argument is admitting ohtani was healthy, and starting him was too risky, and then he magically tore the same ligament after two innings. That's quite a coincidence.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Can he still hit recovering from Tommy John?

No but the recovery process for a hitter is shorter than for the pitcher.

Angels will go through pitching rehab because obviously they'll want him pitching at some point.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
AGAIN, what is so special about his pitching game that it's worth having him pitch once every 5 days and hit every off day. If he were like stupid amazing I woul get it but it looks like hes a great hitter. Why waste time on the pitching thing? Theres a reason why like nobody does this.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What this team really needs to do is let Ohtani have TJS and bring him back as a 2 way player and the face of the franchise. Trade Trout, Simmons, Upton, Heaney, Skaggs, and whoever is wanted out of the bullpen that doesn’t have long term to control.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
AGAIN, what is so special about his pitching game that it's worth having him pitch once every 5 days and hit every off day. If he were like stupid amazing I woul get it but it looks like hes a great hitter. Why waste time on the pitching thing? Theres a reason why like nobody does this.
He has ace potential and pitched extremely well this year when healthy. An ace and a potential 25 HR DH is why they will keep this up

Reactions: darko

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He's pretty darn good on the mound.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
What?

They started him based on the doctors clearing him and needing to know how he would respond.

You would have rather the team waited until spring to find that out? That makes zero sense.

if a doctor actually cleared him to pitch after what was already known about his elbow then that is also mindblowingly stupid

there was no point starting him the other day. why risk further injuring your prized possession (which looks to be the case) when you're playing for nothing?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
if a doctor actually cleared him to pitch after what was already known about his elbow then that is also mindblowingly stupid

there was no point starting him the other day. why risk further injuring your prized possession (which looks to be the case) when you're playing for nothing?
I dont understand what you arent understanding.

They put him on the mound because, A) he was cleared, and B) if the worst case scenario was really a legitimate risk then better know that now than in spring training 2019.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I dont understand what you arent understanding.

They put him on the mound because, A) he was cleared, and B) if the worst case scenario was really a legitimate risk then better know that now than in spring training 2019.

yes and i said that its mindblowing that he was cleared to pitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad