SHL: SHL team suggestions? General league information?

Im Score71

May 3, 2018
I'm moving to Lund in the fall to get my master's degree. I'm from Pennsylvania and a lifelong Pens fan. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations/advice on which team to support. Obviously I''m considering Malmö given the proximity, but I'm open to any other suggestions. I'd also like any info possible. Swedish hockey blog recommendations (team specific or otherwise)? supporters groups? Style of play for specific teams? league traditions? Thanks in advance for any info! I appreciate it.

Im Score71

May 3, 2018
I'll add a little more info. Even though they aren't too far I don't have much interest in Växjö. With them dominating the league this year it would feel a bit weird to hop on the bandwagon. Luleå and Skellefteå interest me, but both are probably too far away. Being a pens fan and watching Jagr/Mario Sid/Geno, I would like a team with skill that plays a fast style. High shot volume. And preferably a team with a passionate fan base and management committed to winning.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
I'll add a little more info. Even though they aren't too far I don't have much interest in Växjö. With them dominating the league this year it would feel a bit weird to hop on the bandwagon. Luleå and Skellefteå interest me, but both are probably too far away. Being a pens fan and watching Jagr/Mario Sid/Geno, I would like a team with skill that plays a fast style. High shot volume. And preferably a team with a passionate fan base and management committed to winning.

I think Rögle will be a fun team to follow this year. Not one of the main contenders but they've changed things down there and have a new GM and a new coach, a lot of new players and an emphasis on a hard-working, up-and-down style that will contrast most in the league. Also, that barn will be rocking whenever they start winning again. Malmö is a bit sleepy during the regular season. More of a 40-40 SOG team than the regular Swedish 25-25 or whatever.

If you want a good arena experience coupled with good play on the ice HV is close for you down there. Bit similar but a much bigger team (won the title in 2017)

Im Score71

May 3, 2018
Why don't you watch a couple of games to get a feel for the teams and decide after that?
That's definitely my plan. I was more so hoping for some general information about the league and it's teams. Or links to the best/favorite SHL blogs/websites. I used google, but I was having some difficulty finding info. Outside of the official SHL website or local newspapers. I know I will probably spend a lot of my free time watching the SHL, so I wanted to get a little more familiar with the league and it's teams.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Malmö is pretty much a soccer city so if you looking for passion for hockey that might be the wrong team.

We're the ones who brought you Hörnqvist, + it gives you more excuses to travel to Stockholm ;)

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010

Djurgården (Stockholm) sounds like a team for you.

They play very fast and intense hockey, shoots from anywhere in the offensive zone and has the best/loudest fans in Sweden.

Personally I would try to catch a couple of games to decide which team I prefer.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Djurgården (Stockholm) sounds like a team for you.

They play very fast and intense hockey, shoots from anywhere in the offensive zone and has the best/loudest fans in Sweden.

Personally I would try to catch a couple of games to decide which team I prefer.
When they actually show up that is. :sarcasm:

Frölunda fit the bill as well, but the roster is looking a bit dull right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->