Shiskanov or Chistov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupul15

May 6, 2004
MTL
Hey guys, who would you pick? Who has the better chance of scoring in the NHL and having a long career? Who has the highest upside?

Right now I think Shiskanov cause Chistov is struggling, but he has so much talent. Can he bounce back or he's just too small?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
It's not the size of his body, it's the size of his heart.

I'd take Shish in a second.

I don't see how you can say Shish in a second. How many NHL games does he have under his belt? Not many, if any at all. Chistov on the other hand had a solid rookie season and showed what he will be capable of. Yes, he had a down year last year but really heated up at the end of the AHL season. Chistov ceiling is huge. Will he hit it, no, I don't think so. But I still see him as a very good scorer in this league, somewhere in the 30-45 range.

As for Shish, ya, I'm a fan but his upside isn't as high. I think he'll end up being a very good 2nd liner who could possibly play the 1st line.

My choice, Chistov.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Kritty said:
I don't see how you can say Shish in a second. How many NHL games does he have under his belt? Not many, if any at all. Chistov on the other hand had a solid rookie season and showed what he will be capable of. Yes, he had a down year last year but really heated up at the end of the AHL season. Chistov ceiling is huge. Will he hit it, no, I don't think so. But I still see him as a very good scorer in this league, somewhere in the 30-45 range.

As for Shish, ya, I'm a fan but his upside isn't as high. I think he'll end up being a very good 2nd liner who could possibly play the 1st line.

My choice, Chistov.

down year = sophmore slumps

always happens

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Kritty said:

My choice, Chistov.

Have you seen Shish play? The kid oozes talent...

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Enoch said:
Have you seen Shish play? The kid oozes talent...

I agree. I'd go as far as to say that Shish has just as much upside (if not more) as Chistov. There aren't too many players with his skillset and speed and skating that have the size and power he has. His potential is incredible. Now, he will likely never acheive that potential as his desire and willingness to do whatever it takes to score (see Kovalchuk) is very much in doubt. He's improved his effort since he was drafted and his hockey sense and decision making have improved, but he's still not where he would need to be to be a top notch NHLer.

I think it's close and I really don't like what I have seen from Chistov in the few AHL games I have seen (post NHL rookie year). He seems to be plagued with the same lack of effort that dogged Shishkanov early on. Obviously, before last season, every in their right mind would have been all over Chistov, but one's stock has steadily climbed while the other has plummeted. I'd still probably go with Chistov, but Shish is hardly a bad consolation prize and I wouldn't be suprised if he ended up better.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Shishkanov's skill package is all that much to write home about. Good skater, not great. Decent size, not exactly hulking. Average puck skills, IMO. He is, obviously, no where near Kovalchuk.

I don't like his game. He seems to show up when he feels like it. In the Admirals games I watched he doesn't seem to know how to throw a body check without jumping 5 feet into the air.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
I don't think Shishkanov's skill package is all that much to write home about. Good skater, not great. Decent size, not exactly hulking. Average puck skills, IMO. He is, obviously, no where near Kovalchuk.

I don't like his game. He seems to show up when he feels like it. In the Admirals games I watched he doesn't seem to know how to throw a body check without jumping 5 feet into the air.

Your experience with him doesn't involve the Ads vs. Baby Pens playoff series does it? He messed up his ankle very, very badly about a month or two previous and according to Coach Noel, he hadn't recovered by then.

I disagree about the skillset, and I can't believe you have even seen him throw a body check, much less one where he left his feet. I haven't seen him hit too much.

Here's a profile on Russian Prospects website that goes in to more depth about what I am complaining about with regards to his game.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile.php?player_id=191

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's where I saw him, actually. I have some games still on tape, including game 4 where he was charging left and right.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
That's where I saw him, actually. I have some games still on tape, including game 4 where he was charging left and right.

Yeah, he did absolutely nothing after returning from that injury. He was a ghost for the remainder of the regular season and most of the playoffs.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Kritty said:

My choice, Chistov.

Frankly, I don't care what Chistov did in his first year. He has gone completely backwards since.

Sophmore slump? Well that doesn't exactly explain this year now does it. I understand the Cincy Duck suck donkey balls, but that's when guys like Chistov and Lupul need to step it up.

The real problem that Chistov has run across is a crisis of confidence. He was always so dominant until he came to the NHL, that now he's questioning his abilities, and rightly so. Until he can learn to keep his game simple, and accept his new role, I'm afraid he's going to be nothing more than footnote.

Shishkanov may not be the best prospect in the world, but he does have somethings working for him. He's got great hands, and good size. He may not be a great skater, but his skating is definitely on par with most NHLer's.

The main thing he needs to work on is his consistency. He needs to bring the same intensity that he does when he's a force every night. But hey, that's what the NHL is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad