SinBin: Shippy revisited

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I, for one, appreciate his honesty. Sounds like it was just a bad fit from the start. We all take for granted that he's a pro athlete and should just fit into any situation he's thrown into. Reality doesn't always work that way.

There's a huge a huge cultural & language gap between living here & Moscow, etc. Some people just don't adjust instantly.

Part of me can relate directly on what he was talking about. I've been here for over 6 years & still don't really "get" Las Vegas or most of the people in the city. It's a major culture shock & a huge difference from where I'm from. I can only imagine relocating here from half way around the globe.

It obviously worked out for both parties in the long run. Hope he can rebuild his career moving forward.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Agent should get large share of blame for not explaining how things might be/are.

There was also a big question mark about what the VGK culture would be like, locker room and front office procedures.

He really should have gone somewhere where there were other Russians so he could get things explained better. Major culture shock in LV, and no real support system in place to help adapt/adjust.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I'm sure Gallant has gained so much respect so that nobody questions him anymore. Year ago it must have been GMGM scratching his head and doubting least once..

At the time Shipachyov story was going on, it just felt so surreal. After one year, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Can't disagree with any of the above, but Shippy never gave himself a chance to get acclimated. How long was he here, six weeks or so? Plenty of changes to adapt to and not much time.

Also, I remember after one of the preseason practices last year there were about a dozen or so Russian speakers huddled around outside the ice at CN, furiously debating something. Don't know if this was Shippy's family (very extended!), posse, crew, entourage or whatever. Assume they were attached to him, as he was the only Russian on the team. Anyway, I have a hunch he might have been getting all manner of advice (bad) from every which way when he likely would have been better off dealing only with his agent and VGK management.

Plus, based on his issues after going back to Russia I think it's pretty obvious he's a bit of a headcase. :laugh:

A GMGM mistake, but worked out well for VGK. Shippy might have poisoned the room.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I think he came in with the wrong tude. Turk fits better with guys who will do the work and take coaching, and I seriously doubt Shippy had that approach. The moment the staff decided that he needed time to adjust to the game it was over.

And I give the staff a lot of cred too, btw, for not bowing to the pressure of "hey we signed this guy as a key piece, he needs playing time." As well as GMGM for not pushing things that way. That entire evolution demonstrates why VGK won so quickly, because of good people up and down that org chart. And it's why they'll be an elite franchise moving forward.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oh and btw I am that fan who bought a bunch of jerseys to include a Shippy 87. Gotta take that thing in and get it renumbered sigh.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
This probably finished us with Gusev. We should have taken Koekkoek or Dotchin from Tampa in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->