Shipping equipment

Taz

Sep 18, 2004
Letchworth
Anyone from the UK brought equipment from the USA, if so did u buy alot at once and how much was the shipping, the USA prices are ALOT cheaper but im really worried shipping will be like 200$ +++ on top

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Anyone from the UK brought equipment from the USA, if so did u buy alot at once and how much was the shipping, the USA prices are ALOT cheaper but im really worried shipping will be like 200$ +++ on top

I had to read that a few times to understand what you were asking, let me rephrase that for you(not being a grammar nazi or anything, it seriously took me four times of reading your post to understand what you were saying):

Has anyone from the UK brought equipment from the US? If so, did you buy a lot at once? and how much was the shipping? The US prices are a LOT cheaper but I'm worried that shipping will be like $200+

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
I was in Scotland for university last year and ordered a couple of times off Hockey Monkey. Yes, the prices are much cheaper in America and Canada but the UK being the craphole it is will charge the sh*t out of you for customs and excise tax. I once ordered a fulls set of Pro Tacks gear and got charged an extra 100 quid... I think overall, you will still get things cheaper, but not by much. Hope that helps.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
I've ordered various bits of kit and jerseys from North America in the past. If its a piece of equipment you really want/need you can still get an okay deal, but you have to be prepared to cough up the money for that import tax, the shipping isn't so bad. For example, I ordered some Innovative Novius shafts from epuck.com. They flat out weren't available in the UK (as far as I could tell, and I spent plenty of time looking) so I got them from America. The price of the shafts was fine, the shipping was very reasonable, but I think it was upwards of £30 tacked on for import tax. I also bought an NHL game worn jersey through the NHL.com auctions. The jersey was fairly expensive, but not close to being at a similar cost to what the top player jerseys go for. Shipping was quite expensive, but bearable. The £120+ import tax was a ***** though.

On the whole, it's like vexXed said, you can still get things cheaper, but you will not get a huge saving on the majority of items. If you can find any fantastic deals where you make a killing over the original price, you can get a good deal though. Or if there is that piece of kit you want that just isn't available over here, it can still be worth it. Best advice I can give, decide what you want and do a thorough search of the UK to see if you can find it for a decent price first. If not, then think about getting it from overseas. Most times, I've found myself looking overseas in the end, but a few months ago, I was about to buy some of the new Mission Wicked 1 skates from N. America, probably would have cost around or above £450 in the end, probably above. But I found a place in the UK selling them for £300 + £8 shipping, so I've ordered from there.

Is there any specific items you are looking for? Also, what shops in the UK have you checked out?

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Im looking to buy a full set of equipment:

I have checked out:

http://www.crazykennys.com/acatalog/index.html (UK)
http://www.iceisus.co.uk/store/shop/index.php (UK + no charge for postage as i can pick them up)
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/index.html (USA)

3 more places in the UK I can recommend:

Just Hockey Our team gets orders though them and they helped us get our jerseys done. Ordered from them on and off for a few years now, they always seem friendly and have emailled back to answer any questions I've had about equipment in stock or items I've wanted that weren't stocked. This is where I've ordered my new skates from.

Hockey Range I can't recall ordering anything large form them, just little bits and pieces, tape, stick blades, laces, etc. They always ship stuff out quickly and are very pleasent to talk to on the phone. On one order I placed for a stick blade, the one I wanted had been replaced by a newer, more expensive version. They sold me the new one for the cost of the cheaper, old one.

Proline skates Again, only ordered bits and pieces from them but they provide a good service. Well worth checking out.

And from overseas, I can recommend:

Epuck who have always answered my many questions sent by email, and provided a service which I would be happy to use any time in the future. Usually, once I have placed an order, I have the kit in my hands within about 5 days.

Inline Warehouse and Ice Warehouse Ordered some kit from them a few months ago just to try them out and again, like epuck, very good service. All questions answered and almost all kit arrived within a week of order.

From the places you mentioned, Crazy Kennys have been good on the 2 occassions I ordered from them. Iceisus were a little less impressive. I heard about them from a friend who placed an order for a Warrior stick blade, which took over a month to arrive. That could be due to them or the availability of Warrior products, not sure. I tried emailling them about some products and it took them over 2 weeks to reply. Of course, if you can pick things up from them, there might be no trouble whatsoever.

A few more places you may want to check out (im not familiar with these places):
http://hockeyoutlet.com/main.php
TA Sports (from the NASN site)
Hockey Office
Demon Xtreme

Best of luck getting your kit, hope it all goes smoothly for you

Taz

Sep 18, 2004
Letchworth
cheers for your help :)

also though how do they work out the Tax on the items coming in? is it a percent?

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
cheers for your help :)

also though how do they work out the Tax on the items coming in? is it a percent?

No problem.

I have no clue how they work out import tax. But at a guess, from my experience, it tends to be somewhere around 20% - 25% of the cost of the item(s) you ordered, shipping not included.

Taz

Sep 18, 2004
Letchworth
The main item i want from abroad is a package deal

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-pc4ksr.html

104$ for shoulder/body elbow and shin + 23% = 128 (roughly) + 95 shipping = 223

coverted into pounds = 115 ish

hmm thats about 13 pounds cheaper then UK.

Another thing, I can get someone I know from the USA to receive the package(which would be free shipping over $150) Then have them send it to me under a gift, would that mean it would take out the tax from the situation? I have worked out it would save me 70$ in total from the overall.

Last edited:

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Another thing, I can get someone I know from the USA to receive the package(which would be free shipping over $150) Then have them send it to me under a gift, would that mean it would take out the tax from the situation? I have worked out it would save me 70$ in total from the overall.

I have heard that doing so would work but am unable to try it out. Could well be worth a try as it could make ordering from overseas very benefical. If you go for that, I hope it works out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->