Rumor: Ship is shopping for a trade.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Shipachyov headed back to Russia?

After forward Vadim Shipachyov was assigned to the AHL's Chicago Wolves on Tuesday, the Vegas Golden Knights allowed Shipachyov's agent to shop the 30-year-old, and the question now becomes where the forward will end up? Will he be traded or could he end up back in Russia?

Bob McKenzie: “It’s possible [that Shipachyov gets traded], but by no means guaranteed. Some teams are concerned that Shipachyov hasn’t been able to secure a full-time spot with the Vegas expansion team right out of the gate. Some teams are also concerned because he’s on a two-year deal that pays him $4.5 million in the second year – the financial commitment is a little troubling."

By sending Shipachyov to the AHL, McKenzie adds that the Golden Knights hope he can develop into a player for the team down the road, but it's unlikely that at Shipachyov's age he'll play for the Wolves. "A 30-year-old Russian doesn’t want to go to the minors, he’ll get suspended and perhaps ask the team, ‘Hey, I just want to go back and play in Russia, play in the KHL, play for the Olympic team at which point Vegas says, ‘Sure, if you want to mutually agree to terminate the contract,’” McKenzie said. “The motivation for Vegas here is have [Shipachyov] go the minors and maybe become a player for the team down the road, which the player doesn’t want to do, or mutually agree to terminate the contract and there’s no more commitment.”

LeBrun: “And [Shipachyov’s agent] Petr Svoboda has spoken to about a dozen teams in the last 24 hours trying to establish that trade market, if there is one at all. I don’t sense that there’s huge interest. I know at least one team told me they’re mildly interested and why? Because that $2 million signing bonus has already been paid, but like Bob, I’m not sure there’s a trade here.”

Reactions: Nevada Jones

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Finally some sense has been talked into him. If I am a GM of another team do I want a guy who hasn't proven himself saying he's too good to go play in the minors? I mean for goodness sakes he's getting paid $4.5m to play where they tell you. I'd get it if he had a two way deal and was losing a lot of money to play in the AHL. But to act like you are just better than that and refuse to go screams a guy who is going to be a problem for the locker room. And this nonsense about not wanting to leave his wife because she doesn't speak English. Umm deal with it, that's the athletes life. You get paid a lot and don't live a normal life during your pro sports career.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
this is crazy. I was hoping the panthers would get him, dadonov, and kovalchuk and form a sort of russian olympic line :) but alas our dumb internal cap didn't allow us to really get any kind of roster at all. I mean hell, we seem to have even given u guys half our organization :) weird that ship didn't work out. I wonder if u guys retain some salary if the panthers can take him off ur hands. we badly need a 2nd line lw with skill assuming he could play there.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->