Rumor: Ship is shopping for a trade.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Hard to get value for him in a trade until he proves that contract is a worthwhile investment. I'm sure the Knights would be more than happy to spend the money on someone else since their winning probably makes it less likely they go dumping every player they can.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Just waive a damn defenseman... Christ this is getting old.

It's not that. They prefer to play Leipsic over Ship in OT.

Ship might be really upset which I can understand and they give him a chance to understand that there's no market for him.

He might go back to russia.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Haven't been following this.. has Ship been bad or is this purely due to contracts and him being able to go to the AHL?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Haven't been following this.. has Ship been bad or is this purely due to contracts and him being able to go to the AHL?
A mix of the two, it seems. I'd say more waivers related, but he hasn't been lighting the world on fire on the ice.

I don't think it's purely performance.

Reactions: Sir Goose

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
They keep Tuch over Ship. The easiest would have been to send Tuch down so both could play since Ship isn't asked to play AHL.
They downgrade Ship's trade value to win games. That's the opposite of thinking long term.
It seems they have a committee to make decisions because sometimes decisions are long term and sometimes short term.
There is definitely Prior who makes goalie decisions. Gallant might make some decisions too. It seems McPhee isn't deciding alone.

It also could be that they promised Ship not to trade him since he asked for an NTC but couldn't be written into the contract. Allowing him to find another team is giving him another opportunity.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think everyone was expecting this news.

Hopefully GMGM can get something like 2 conditional picks to a team like the Blue Jackets. Panarin could help him get past the language barrier.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
How can he prove himself playing with grinders 10 minutes a night? Truly ridiculous

Exactly. The guy went to an expansion team because they are expected to be willing to let him learn on the job. 3 games? 10 minutes of ice time a game? The guys been on the ice for less time than it takes to watch an episode of the Batchelor! That's not enough time to treat him like this when he was supposed to be a marquee signing.

This situation has been stupid. I hope he gets a trade to a team that will let him play.

Reactions: Morrison and Gerin

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Hard to get value for him in a trade until he proves that contract is a worthwhile investment.

Which is why I don't think anyone will trade for him, especially with that second year at $4.5M cap hit. There's no reason to move him - it's like the Drouin situation - just let it play out and have him work his way back into the lineup. Making matters worse: I doubt McPhee wants to bring back a waiver-eligible player, and it's not worth it to waste a retention slot on him, so the field of potential trade partners could be non-existent under those circumstances.

He’ll probably end up going back to the KHL.

If he wants to walk away from the remaining money on his contract to play in the Olympics, he has every right. I just don't think he and Svoboda will do that, but I could be wrong.

How can he prove himself playing with grinders 10 minutes a night? Truly ridiculous

He played throughout training camp and preseason with Marchessault and Smith, and he wasn't very impressive by all accounts. At first, we all assumed the demotion was related to his waiver-exempt status, but now it seems as though his performance is being called into question. We can nitpick about him only getting three games, but we don't know what the coaching staff thought of his work ethic in training camp.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

He played throughout training camp and preseason with Marchessault and Smith, and he wasn't very impressive by all accounts. At first, we all assumed the demotion was related to his waiver-exempt status, but now it seems as though his performance is being called into question. We can nitpick about him only getting three games, but we don't know what the coaching staff thought of his work ethic in training camp.

That flies in the face of McPhee's statements at the start of the season. He said, in no uncertain terms, that the demotion was not because of performance.

Of course, now that the situation is carrying on longer than expected, the team is suggesting it is based on performance. Nice of them to blame the player for their ineptitude.

Reactions: Morrison

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
On the contrary- Mcphee deflected Shippy's performance being the root of the problem, which is nicer than he should be. It's evident that they don't think highly of his ability and he will have to work his ass off to crack this lineup, just like everyone else. If he stinks, he stinks. Why cling to a guy who stinks?

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
The only teams with cap space that I can see trading for him are Columbus to have him play with Panarin (old teammate) or Edmonton to take a chance on a getting depth scoring. He's got ability to be a good 2nd line scorer, but his trade value should be low now. Vegas can't expect much from a guy who they sent down because they don't want to waive Reinhart.

Hopefully he gets traded or GMGM finally moves some of these useless D and he gets a legit chance. From what I've seen he hasn't been bad. He needs to adapt and stop playing the euro big ice style. He is floating around too much, too passive and looks for only high percentage plays. Watching him you can see his high IQ and moves the puck better than most. Just gotta stop using that big ice chess game style

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The only teams with cap space that I can see trading for him are Columbus to have him play with Panarin (old teammate) or Edmonton to take a chance on a getting depth scoring. He's got ability to be a good 2nd line scorer, but his trade value should be low now. Vegas can't expect much from a guy who they sent down because they don't want to waive Reinhart.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->