"Shin tight" instead of hockey socks? & What's the purpose of hockey socks?

snizzbone*

I believe lots of people do not have straps on their shin pads so socks are used and taped to keep them in place. Also they are part of the uniform. Would look stupid to see someone with shin pads on and no socks.

Yes you wear socks over those tights.

Don't see how hockey socks would make you sweat more.. you're playing an extremely physical sport, youre gonna sweat a ton no matter what.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
They're supposed to, as the name says, keep your shins snug. A good replacement for clear tape and a good product for those, like Flowzie said, who might not have good enough strapping.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
The primary reason for hockey socks are pretty much aesthetics and it's part of the uniform. However, their secondary purpose is to keep you from sliding too much on the ice.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
There are no straps on my shinpads, so I use these, no need for tape.
I like the feel of...or better said the no feel of them.
There are no pressure points with these like there are with straps or tape.
....and like others said you wear your socks over them.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I might look into these for refereeing. I prefer using tape over my socks when I play because sometimes the velcro tab up top comes loose and the tape keeps my sock from falling very far down, but I can't put tape over my referee pants. When I tape my shinguards up under them, sometimes the tape digs into my skin when I'm skating.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I've always been using velcro straps. They are convenient and does the job well.

The velcro stays good for about a year, price ranges from $10~$20 depending on quality.

Saves all the tape buying and burrow. Only downside is you're saving the environment and looking like a complete hippie too :sarcasm:

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
shin tights are mostly used by refs. most folks who don't have straps on their shin guards use the elastic straps. the elastic ones do pretty well but eventually stretch out. if you can find the neoprene ones they last 10 times as long. the T3K straps are the best but only a few places still have them.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
shin tights are mostly used by refs.
This is probably true....but I actually use them to play but not to ref. My ref shin pads have straps but my playing shins got stretched out and were useless since I bought them in the mid-late 90s. :laugh:

Anyway, I use them (on my 2nd pair) but I found they tear/wear out pretty fast. I still like them and will continue to use them because I think they're the best option out there.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I might look into these for refereeing. I prefer using tape over my socks when I play because sometimes the velcro tab up top comes loose and the tape keeps my sock from falling very far down, but I can't put tape over my referee pants. When I tape my shinguards up under them, sometimes the tape digs into my skin when I'm skating.

I'm a ref and use them myself, they're great!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00