[Shift-by-Shift Video] Jake Virtanen: How The Canucks Are Destroying His Development

JA

This is a shift-by-shift video documenting the performance of 20-year-old Jake Virtanen of the Vancouver Canucks in October 2016, the first month of his sophomore NHL season. Virtanen was selected 6th overall in the 2014 NHL Draft, and was regarded as a speedy, powerful, aggressive, goal-scoring power forward who possessed a complete arsenal of excellent physical tools, including a powerful, accurate shot, impressive straight-line speed, and a sturdy, heavy body that could deliver seismic bodychecks. Scouts emphasized his high offensive upside, his proficiency as a goal-scorer at every level he had played at up to that point, and his physical maturity. Hence, he was the first overall pick in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft and subsequently scored 45 goals in the 2013-14 WHL season with the Calgary Hitmen.

The game featured in the footage was played on October 23, 2016 against the Anaheim Ducks. He wears #18 in this footage.

Throughout his first two years in the NHL, criticism has been placed on his struggle to adjust to the NHL level. For a player who has always played a very aggressive, confident offensive game, Virtanen has looked extremely tentative, afraid to make mistakes and uncertain of how to use his talents -- size, speed, and a powerful shot -- in the NHL.

Unfortunately, as a result of his disengaged, lackluster, uninspired play on the ice, Virtanen has been limited to an average of 10 minutes of ice time per game, and has at times been a healthy scratch under Canucks coach Willie Desjardins. Against Toronto on November 5, 2016, he was relegated to the fourth line and replaced by Derek Dorsett on the Horvat-Baertschi line; he was scratched for two consecutive games after that. The Canucks' management seems to have no idea of how to manage this player, as instead of playing at a level where he can develop his offensive game, learn at a more gradual pace, as well as receive lots of ice time to experiment and gain confidence, he is being benched. He is effectively in Desjardins' proverbial "dog house," and thus he is rotting away.

This video illustrates the exact game that VIrtanen has played all season so far. Even during his rookie season, he was a healthy scratch quite frequently; for a brief time during the 2015-16 season, he improved his rate of production, but that was short-lived, as he is once again playing very tentatively.

It is quite clear that Virtanen was rushed into the NHL. His development after the 2014 NHL Draft began poorly, as he returned to the WHL for his 19-year-old season after suffering a left-shoulder injury; the following season, he was in the NHL despite not being ready; this season, his ice time has decreased and he has played very little, under-performing the expectations of the Canucks' management group that he would score 15 goals this season,. He would be better suited in Utica refining his game and adapting his skills more gradually for the NHL. As of now, the game is too quick for him to be effective.

He possesses the tools to be a very effective NHL player, but he lacks a sense of comfort to play at that level right now. His development will stagnate if he does not refine his skills and develop strategies as well as positive tendencies to be an effective scorer in the NHL. This comes from ice time and the mentorship of the Canucks' AHL coaching staff. He needs to learn strategies, adopt new on-ice techniques to enhance and diversify his play, have ample opportunity to practice and execute plays with the puck in-game, gain confidence creating offense, and become accustomed to processing situations more quickly in order to dictate the pace of the game and feel that he is in control.

This can not be accomplished when one is primarily concerned with just keeping their head above water and trying to survive, which is what he is centered on right now. It is impossible to learn in his current circumstance.

One of the greatest criticisms of his game is that he generates no offense. He has 7 goals, 7 assists in 65 career NHL games, and just one assist all season so far.

He will never learn how to generate offense if he continues to play as he has this season. This is the reason he has become a healthy scratch.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-game-day-virtanen-larsen-sit-stecher-adds-grit-grabner-a-big-hit
Canucks Game Day: Virtanen, Larsen sit; Stecher adds grit; Grabner a big hit
Ben Kuzma
Published:
November 8, 2016
Updated:
November 8, 2016 11:44 AM PST

VIRTANEN SITS FOR SECOND STRAIGHT GAME

It has come to this with Jake Virtanen.

Willie Desjardins wants to see more consistency in the second-year winger and Virtanen wants the opportunity to prove he can be that guy who can skate, shoot, hit and play a responsible two-way game.

After Virtanen sat Monday in a 4-2 loss to the New York Islanders, there was some thought that a lineup change in Manhattan would include him.

Apparently not.

“I definitely wanted to play tonight — it’s tough to sit out,” said Virtanen. “It would nice to play and show him (Desjardins) what I can do, but we’ve lost nine straight and Willie believes the guys playing are going to help us win. And he’s got to go with his gut feeling. I’ve got to show each and every shift that I can go out there and be physical throughout the whole game.”

The Canucks could assign Virtanen to the AHL’s Utica Comets for ample playing and instructional time, but the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft believes he’s not only better off in the NHL, he can contribute in the bigs.

“I know I can play at this level,” added Virtanen. “I’ve just got to show it and when I do get the opportunity I will go and show him (Desjardins).”

The Canucks coach sang a familiar refrain when asked about Virtanen’s shortcomings. He has logged 11:13, 8:33 and 7:13 in his last three outings and it’s obvious that Desjardins has a trust issue with a player he needs in his mix, but who hasn’t earned it, and seldom sees the ice in the third period.

“It’s not that I don’t think Jake is a good player and a spot you look for him is top nine or top six, but he’s not consistent enough and until he gives you that, he can’t play. Somewhere down the line, we have to get to that spot because he does stuff that’s unique, that makes him a very good player for the organization.

“But right now, I’ve got to get him to play the way I want. I don’t know about the part where he hasn’t had a chance. For us, it’s how can we get him to go where we need him to go to? Because we need him to get there.

He can't play an offensive game if there are trust issues with the coach and he receives very little ice time. One mistake, and he's sitting; no mistakes at this stage of his development, and he plays a passive, ineffective game. If he can't take risks, no offense comes from him.

The Canucks should have sent him down, but they haven't.

This line from Willie Desjardins defies logic: “It’s not that I don’t think Jake is a good player and a spot you look for him is top nine or top six, but he’s not consistent enough and until he gives you that, he can’t play. Somewhere down the line, we have to get to that spot because he does stuff that’s unique, that makes him a very good player for the organization."

How can he learn to be consistent when he's not allowed to play due to his inconsistency?

Last edited by a moderator:

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
And this follows your previous montage of him called "Rookie highlights". All clips where he is shown very belonging and developed in the NHL for his age. Thanks though.

Reactions: pettersson

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
You can blame the shoulder injury but his draft + 1 season was a big disappointment. I just don't think he was as good as he was touted as being.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Jake acts like the puck is a live grenade on his stick and is scared to handle it. Just gets rid of it the moment it touches his stick.

If you watch some vids of his time in Calgary he explodes up the wing bruising any player that gets in his way, then proceeds to blast the puck top shelf

Willie is scared he is going to lose his job, so he can't afford rookies to make any mistakes, we need a new coach who will just tell Jake to get out there and play your Game. But Jake has to make the most of the limited time he is getting now. Dude is shooting low % soft as **** wristers at the net, not hitting anyone and floating every shift. It's actually ridiculous to watch. I put alot of it on Willie, but Jake has to play better. Willie put him on the 2nd line with no results. So how's that on Willie?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
All I see here is a bunch of Canucks defensemen that can't execute clean breakout passes. Virtanen really doesn't look too bad here.

JA

And this follows your previous montage of him called "Rookie highlights". All clips where he is shown very belonging and developed in the NHL for his age. Thanks though.
I never claimed that he was developed at the NHL level. I simply assembled a standard goal reel to showcase the strongest moments of his rookie season. I was very transparent about that.

He had a strong second half last season relative to his age and circumstances; most of the highlights are from that portion of the season. I referenced that brief period in the OP above.

This is the description I posted alongside the rookie season highlight video I compiled.
Published on Jun 13, 2016

This highlight reel features all of Vancouver Canucks rookie Jake Virtanen's 2015-16 highlights, including all goals, assists, fights, and notable hits. Virtanen is a 6'1'', 210 lb, north-south power forward with terrific top speed, excellent acceleration, and a great shot. He was drafted sixth overall by his hometown Vancouver Canucks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. All of Virtanen's goals in this package are featured in chronological order.

In 2015-16, Virtanen's rookie season, he scored 7 goals and 6 assists in 55 games, but scored the majority of those points after the 2016 World Junior Championship tournament. Despite criticism from his naysayers, Virtanen shows tremendous upside. He possesses great strength, physical tools, advanced skating ability, and an offensive skill set that, if harnessed, will allow him to become an extremely intimidating presence on the ice for the opposition.

He was born on August 17, 1996, which means that he played his entire rookie NHL season as a 19-year-old. He is very much still a kid.
If one has to consider a long-term projection based solely on his rookie season highlights, it is that at his best he can potentially look like he did in the brightest moments last year. His point production highlights from last February through March may serve as an insight into his upside.

It takes further development to become consistent and to make effective offensive play both more intuitive and routine.
All I see here is a bunch of Canucks defensemen that can't execute clean breakout passes. Virtanen really doesn't look too bad here.
One of the greatest criticisms of his game is that he generates no offense.

He will never learn how to generate offense if he continues to play as he has this season. This is the reason he has become a healthy scratch.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-game-day-virtanen-larsen-sit-stecher-adds-grit-grabner-a-big-hit
Canucks Game Day: Virtanen, Larsen sit; Stecher adds grit; Grabner a big hit
Ben Kuzma
Published:
November 8, 2016
Updated:
November 8, 2016 11:44 AM PST

VIRTANEN SITS FOR SECOND STRAIGHT GAME

It has come to this with Jake Virtanen.

Willie Desjardins wants to see more consistency in the second-year winger and Virtanen wants the opportunity to prove he can be that guy who can skate, shoot, hit and play a responsible two-way game.

After Virtanen sat Monday in a 4-2 loss to the New York Islanders, there was some thought that a lineup change in Manhattan would include him.

Apparently not.

“I definitely wanted to play tonight — it’s tough to sit out,” said Virtanen. “It would nice to play and show him (Desjardins) what I can do, but we’ve lost nine straight and Willie believes the guys playing are going to help us win. And he’s got to go with his gut feeling. I’ve got to show each and every shift that I can go out there and be physical throughout the whole game.”

The Canucks could assign Virtanen to the AHL’s Utica Comets for ample playing and instructional time, but the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft believes he’s not only better off in the NHL, he can contribute in the bigs.

“I know I can play at this level,” added Virtanen. “I’ve just got to show it and when I do get the opportunity I will go and show him (Desjardins).”

The Canucks coach sang a familiar refrain when asked about Virtanen’s shortcomings. He has logged 11:13, 8:33 and 7:13 in his last three outings and it’s obvious that Desjardins has a trust issue with a player he needs in his mix, but who hasn’t earned it, and seldom sees the ice in the third period.

“It’s not that I don’t think Jake is a good player and a spot you look for him is top nine or top six, but he’s not consistent enough and until he gives you that, he can’t play. Somewhere down the line, we have to get to that spot because he does stuff that’s unique, that makes him a very good player for the organization.

“But right now, I’ve got to get him to play the way I want. I don’t know about the part where he hasn’t had a chance. For us, it’s how can we get him to go where we need him to go to? Because we need him to get there.

He can't play an offensive game if there are trust issues with the coach and he receives very little ice time. One mistake, and he's sitting; no mistakes at this stage of his development, and he plays a passive, ineffective game. If he can't take risks, no offense comes from him.

The Canucks should have sent him down, but they haven't.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
The one thing that really grinds my gear is this kid showed up to camp out of shape, yet he still made it to opening night. He didn't deserve it right from the get go yet management doesn't care. This kid needs a reality check and be sent down before it's too late.

JA

This line from Willie Desjardins defies logic: “It’s not that I don’t think Jake is a good player and a spot you look for him is top nine or top six, but he’s not consistent enough and until he gives you that, he can’t play. Somewhere down the line, we have to get to that spot because he does stuff that’s unique, that makes him a very good player for the organization."

How can he learn to be consistent when he's not allowed to play due to his inconsistency?

JA

And just like that, a few hours after this thread was posted, the Canucks do something that they should have done long ago.

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
The one thing that really grinds my gear is this kid showed up to camp out of shape, yet he still made it to opening night. He didn't deserve it right from the get go yet management doesn't care. This kid needs a reality check and be sent down before it's too late.

Not sure where this narrative came from that he showed up out of shape. He was working out 5 days a week this summer with Canucks trainers and they were parading him around doing charity work.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Watching that video it's obvious he has little to no confidence. Instead of handling the puck and skating he tries to get rid of it to the first open stick he sees. It looks like he is scared to make a mistake out there which is the worst thing you can do. Glad he is going to the AHL, hopefully he can get his game back and regain some confidence. Being from Calgary I watched him a few times and he looked like a completely different player. I never thought he was going to be a top 6 guy but I thought he'd be a regular NHLer. I know it's only his second year but he looks awful and if I was Willie I would be scared to play him too.

JA

It took the Canucks far too long to send him down. This was a ridiculously obvious move that the team absolutely needed to make for the sake of his development; they strung him along on an uncertain path for far too long up to this point.

This decisions today is being universally celebrated by Canucks fans. This is the right move for Jake's future. He now has an opportunity to develop his offensive game at a level where he can actually make progress.

Based on his play at the NHL level thus far, I think it would be best for him to stay in the AHL for at least the full 2016-17 season, and potentially the following season as well. The AHL is a development league -- Virtanen can now develop.
finally sent down to Utica
About time. Needs to learn to play the game. Needs to learn to be a professional. Simple as that. Based on the discussion 1040 was having the other day the consistency isn't jus during the game on a shift by shift by shift basis but during practice days and off days etc. It's an attitude/lifestyle thing I think.

Perhaps this gives him the kick for him to figure it out.
Finally

Anything to get him away from WD
Thank god.

Hopefully he can start to rebuild his game down there. I expect he'll struggle to produce offense even at that level initially.
finally a step forward

YESSSSSSSS

:5: :hyper:

He should spend the entire year there, and maybe some more next year
Finally is right.... Now leave him there until next September
Holy crap, great news for once. Hopefully he can still develop into a solid 2nd/3rd line tweener, because I just don't see him becoming a top 6 forward at this point. They messed with his development too much for too long.
About time. Now he needs to play hard to earn a spot back. Lets see what he does down there.
Finally. This is absolutely what is best for his development at this time - stunned that it took this long to get here.

Here's hoping 1) Utica can work with him, and 2) that he can hopefully be a shot in the arm for Utica.
Great news!!

Excited to follow his progress under the tutelage of Travis Green. Absolutely the right move and now we just hope that we may still have something with Jake.
Finally they make the blatantly obvious move. I'm concerned that Jake right now won't even be an impact player in the AHL. Hopefully he takes this demotion seriously.
Did they just do something....correct?
Well, if you call finally coming round to a decision that should have been obvious a month ago, only after it's potentially done significant damage to the player and cost the team the chance to improve itself via the waiver wire 'correct', then sure.

Virtanen probably shouldn't have played a single NHL game yet at this point.
Long over-due. Hopefully Green can savage whatever's left of Jake. (No, I've never been a fan of the pick).

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
It took the Canucks far too long to send him down. This was a ridiculously obvious move that the team absolutely needed to make for the sake of his development; they strung him along on an uncertain path for far too long up to this point.

This decisions today is being universally celebrated by Canucks fans. This is the right move for Jake's future. He now has an opportunity to develop his offensive game at a level where he can actually make progress.

Based on his play at the NHL level thus far, I think it would be best for him to stay in the AHL for at least the full 2016-17 season, and potentially the following season as well. The AHL is a development league -- Virtanen can now develop.

Except the Canucks have told him hes going to Utica to play 2 games..and will be back in Vancouver right after...

JA

Unbelievable.

Does Jim really think that sending Jake down for two games will have any significant impact on his development? He's also blaming the fans for his reluctance to send players down to Utica.

(Update: November 10, 2016)

Willie Desjardins' comments:

Linden:

Elliotte Friedman:

Ray Ferraro and Ken Campbell (of The Hockey News):

Jake Virtanen:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad