Shenmue 1 and 2

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Did anybody else pick this up Tuesday? I remember back in the day loving this game, but it's definitely part of that older generation of titles. I am slowly trying to get through it the biggest complaint is the controller movement. They didn't do anything to update or make it better so its not unusual to not go where you want to go, and on the QTE's you have to hit the button atleast 3 times for it to register.

Not sure if the graphics are better, they did look better to me but this is a pretty old game and my memory isnt as good as it once was. But if memory serves #2 was a little better in the control department.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I mentioned in another thread that I was intrigued. I enjoy games that are unabashedly Japanese with all their quirks.

I love Yakuza, which seems different in some ways but is also a very Japanese Sega experience.

You sort of touch on the things I'm worried about though. Longtime fans can look past issues in the game via nostalgia, but I'm worried as a new player I won't be able to fully appreciate its charms in this dated package.

I'll probably end up waiting for a sale to dip my toe in.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mentioned in another thread that I was intrigued. I enjoy games that are unabashedly Japanese with all their quirks.

I love Yakuza, which seems different in some ways but is also a very Japanese Sega experience.

You sort of touch on the things I'm worried about though. Longtime fans can look past issues in the game via nostalgia, but I'm worried as a new player I won't be able to fully appreciate it's charms in this dated package.

Honestly, the Yakuza series is kinda just the good version of Shenmue. Shenmue was ambitious but did almost nothing right.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA

You sort of touch on the things I'm worried about though. Longtime fans can look past issues in the game via nostalgia, but I'm worried as a new player I won't be able to fully appreciate its charms in this dated package.

Yeah if you are a new player to the franchise definitely don't get it or wait until it drops down a bit. Unless you want are into retro stuff, then you would maybe enjoy it. I was hoping it was a remaster, even though it didn't say it, I never thought they would release pretty much a direct port of a dreamcast game to a new console.

As I play the game I am remembering how bad the controls were even then, I pretty much enjoyed the game for the story and that was about it. It's actually making me question buying Shenmue 3.

Yakuza though, love that game. I remember buying the first one when it came out on PS2 and being surprised how good it was. I don't buy many games, but Yakuza is one I will always buy.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well this was a pretty savage takedown.

That's harsh but probably fair. I never played Shenmue but the concept was really advanced for it's time, so it makes sense it could have a huge nostalgia factor for those who played it but basically being the beta version seem like complete when compared against modern versions of the genre.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Honestly it's really fair. I hate to admit it but yeah he was pretty spot on. I do have really good memories of the game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad