Shelflife of Dan Fritsche?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
How long do you think this kid is going to play?

I read over on the BJs forum that he has to go under the knife again to surgically repair one of his shoulders again. (3 surgeries altogether on both of his shoulders, and he's what 19-20?)

give me your best guestimates of how long you think he will play in the NHL? (If he makes it at all)

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Joe_Strummer said:

I read over on the BJs forum that he has to go under the knife again to surgically repair one of his shoulders again. (3 surgeries altogether on both of his shoulders, and he's what 19-20?)

give me your best guestimates of how long you think he will play in the NHL? (If he makes it at all)

This is a pretty big question mark. However, if anyone can comeback from repeated shoulder surgeries, its this kid. His shoulder was basically hanging by a thread in the Memorial Cup finals and he scored the winner and assited on a couple. I wish this kid all the best and hopefully once he gets healthy this time, he stays healthy.

mad chemist

Jun 24, 2004
quebec city
Do you know if his brother tom has the same problem of being injured alot?
Because some people think he's as good but more of a goal scorer.

Thanks

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
People also say Dan is as good as Mike Ryder, and he just isn't. Same thing with the Fritsche's. Dan could've been a top center, now I doubt him more than Horton, Michalek, Grigorenko, anyone.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
It sucks because I really like him as a player and he could have a great career as a 2nd line center or maybe even a 1st line center in Columbus. If he can stay away from injuries for a while he might be able to have a great career.

X0ssbar

mad chemist said:
Do you know if his brother tom has the same problem of being injured alot?
Because some people think he's as good but more of a goal scorer.

Thanks

Tom doesn't have the same shoulder problems as his brother.

I was fortunate enough to watch Tom quite a bit last year while he played for Ohio State - while he is a fantastic player I don't think he has the upside of his brother assuming he's healthy.

With that said I think Tom will definitely be a top 60 pick in this year's draft. He had a great year for OSU (at times carrying the team) and stayed relatively injury free.

I'm looking very much foward to what he can do his sophmore year for the Bucks.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Joe_Strummer said:

I thought its been more than 3 surgeries

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
People also say Dan is as good as Mike Ryder, and he just isn't. Same thing with the Fritsche's. Dan could've been a top center, now I doubt him more than Horton, Michalek, Grigorenko, anyone.

actually, grigorenko regained his form, he's playing damn well and has been for 3/4 of the season. He spent the 1st quarter getting his strength back in his leg...once he did, he exploded.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Dan Fritsche reminds me of Jeremy Roenick.

If he can overcome, mentally at least, the shoulder issues, hopefully in time the physical problem will heal, and everyone will see just how good he is. Remember in the '02-'03 season when everyone ranked him right next to Staal and Horton? The injuries are the only thing that knocked him out of the 1st round, and I still thought L.A would take him before he was available in the 2nd round for Columbus.

I would project him as a top 20 NHL center if he can get healthy enough to make it happen.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Part of the problem with Fritsche's injuries as well is the fact that he plays hard all the time - he never tries to protect himself on the ice, rather he throws the checks and worries about the shoulders later. If he stays healthy he will have a long and successful NHL career... but that is a big if.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:
Dan Fritsche reminds me of Jeremy Roenick.

If he can overcome, mentally at least, the shoulder issues, hopefully in time the physical problem will heal, and everyone will see just how good he is. Remember in the '02-'03 season when everyone ranked him right next to Staal and Horton? The injuries are the only thing that knocked him out of the 1st round, and I still thought L.A would take him before he was available in the 2nd round for Columbus.

I would project him as a top 20 NHL center if he can get healthy enough to make it happen.

I love Fritsche's heart and style of play, but I guarantee you are overestimating his offensive upside.

Fritsche has been only slightly more than a point per game player in the OHL. He has never dominated the OHL with skill - he dominates with hustle. I have seen him play a LOT, and the vast majority of points he gets are not from smart or creative playmaking, or from natural dangling or sniping, but instead from outworking and outcompeting his opponents.

Obviously every NHL team would want a player like that, but it doesn't make him a top 20 center in the league, especially when EVERYONE competes hard at the next level. I expect Fritsche to be a very solid third line C/RW with his ceiling being an occasional winger on a second line. I also see him getting some PP time as the guy who takes the beating and causes havoc in the slot.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
pavel datsyuk said:
actually, grigorenko regained his form, he's playing damn well and has been for 3/4 of the season. He spent the 1st quarter getting his strength back in his leg...once he did, he exploded.

While writing him off is foolish, I do think there is no problem in being concerned with how his leg will hold up over the long haul. I don't think he's at the injury risk of a Horton, Fritsche, or Michalek simply because he hasn't shown that propensity (to my knowledge), but there's an untold number of future complications that can arise from this past injury.

That being said, my biggest fear with Grigs has to do with the fact that he missed a good year or two of development. Towards the end of last year, he just began returning to the form of two years ago. In other words, numbers-wise (and from what I've read/heard play-wise) he's just now, as a 21-22 year old, catching up to his form as a 19 year old. The fact that he hasn't been able to take his game to that 'next' level, though no fault of his own, is of some concern. Next year, I expect him to take the next step with Severstal, that is if he's not coming over. Have you heard any news on this front?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
While writing him off is foolish, I do think there is no problem in being concerned with how his leg will hold up over the long haul. I don't think he's at the injury risk of a Horton, Fritsche, or Michalek simply because he hasn't shown that propensity (to my knowledge), but there's an untold number of future complications that can arise from this past injury.

That being said, my biggest fear with Grigs has to do with the fact that he missed a good year or two of development. Towards the end of last year, he just began returning to the form of two years ago. In other words, numbers-wise (and from what I've read/heard play-wise) he's just now, as a 21-22 year old, catching up to his form as a 19 year old. The fact that he hasn't been able to take his game to that 'next' level, though no fault of his own, is of some concern. Next year, I expect him to take the next step with Severstal, that is if he's not coming over. Have you heard any news on this front?

Why yes i do...
http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwings/stories/2005_05/30_Grigorenko.html

he'll be playing in russia. If you're interested, look up the "prospect reports". The back in early april/late march talk about his game.

Detroit has a scout over there a lot to watch him and see how he's doing. They said by the beginning of this year he should be top form and progressing.

Remember, before the accident, he was ready to come over and play on the top 2 lines.

A Good Flying Bird*

pavel datsyuk said:
Why yes i do...
http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwings/stories/2005_05/30_Grigorenko.html

he'll be playing in russia. If you're interested, look up the "prospect reports". The back in early april/late march talk about his game.

Detroit has a scout over there a lot to watch him and see how he's doing. They said by the beginning of this year he should be top form and progressing.

Remember, before the accident, he was ready to come over and play on the top 2 lines.

I think you're overplaying how ready Grigorenko really was.
There was hope that he could come over and contribute immediately, like Datsyuk and Zetterberg had done in the previous years.
And Grigorenko had shown great skill in the WJCs, World Championships and with Togliatti.

However, there is no guarantee that he'd have made the Wings out of camp, let alone played on the top two lines.

I still have worries about his legs (wasn't his shin absolutely shattered?) And I worry that he came back too soon (he came back far earlier than anyone expected, only to find out that surgeons had put the wrong sized rod in his leg, which caused even more problems).

Still, last season was a great sign. The kid has a ton of heart. He's made it back this far, which is amazing. I've heard good things about his recovery. He still has good puck skills.
But what I haven't heard are reports about his speed/agility/balance/strength.

If you remember, Scotty Bowman once called him a power forward, which shocked people because he's only 5-11. But was strong on his skates and fast.
He'll need to regain those assets before coming to North America.

I would be completely shocked if he played in Detroit or Grand Rapids next season.

This next season in Russia will be telling.

Matt Foley*

Here's an update on Fritsche: Doug MacLean noted on a radio interview from Thursday afternoon that it currently appears that Dan will not need surgery on his shoulder after all; in addition, DM expects Dan to make the team when play resumes. See post #5 of the link below.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=146126

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Matt Foley said:
Here's an update on Fritsche: Doug MacLean noted on a radio interview from Thursday afternoon that it currently appears that Dan will not need surgery on his shoulder after all; in addition, DM expects Dan to make the team when play resumes. See post #5 of the link below.

Here's hoping that the shoulder is all healed up and ready to go. Columbus is going to need his gritty play every chance they get when the BJ's butt heads with Nashville for the next decade or so :handclap:

X0ssbar

SmokeyClause said:
Here's hoping that the shoulder is all healed up and ready to go. Columbus is going to need his gritty play every chance they get when the BJ's butt heads with Nashville for the next decade or so :handclap:

DM also noted that teams will play their conference opponents 8 times now instead of six under the new sched. So it looks like the CBJ will be batteling the Preds an additional 2 times - gotta love that :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad