Speculation: Sheldon Keefe

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Keefe in 2015 (when he was hired)

“The biggest change for the Greyhounds was in the style of player which was appealing to Kyle. The way it worked out, it’s become the same type of player I’m attracted to and see value in. So our visions aligned,” says Keefe.

“For us, the value of speed and skill and hockey sense would far outweigh any physical attributes. We wanted people who have the ability to make plays and have speed.

“The foundation is the understanding that when we carried the puck over the blue line offensively, we created more offence,” he says. “Within that, we understood there was a correlation between carrying puck over our own blue line and how it influenced what we could do at the other team’s blue line, so we worked on different schemes and mechanisms to do that.

“After that, it just made sense we had to try and prevent the opposition from doing the same. I’ve enjoyed watching it a lot. It’s been fun to see the whole thing develop.”

No Stupid freakin' stretch passes down the middle for hail mary plays

That's the one thing I really like about Keefe's schemes. He knows he has speed, puck-handling, skill and smarts to use, so he uses it. For some reason Babcock decides the best way to move the puck with a team that is also good with puck-handling is to throw a bunch of hail-mary passes that rarely work and make them not use their speed at all, so even if they do connect they are caught flat-footed most of the time and lose it a short time later (or dump it in).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

“The biggest change for the Greyhounds was in the style of player which was appealing to Kyle. The way it worked out, it’s become the same type of player I’m attracted to and see value in. So our visions aligned,” says Keefe.

“For us, the value of speed and skill and hockey sense would far outweigh any physical attributes. We wanted people who have the ability to make plays and have speed.

“The foundation is the understanding that when we carried the puck over the blue line offensively, we created more offence,” he says. “Within that, we understood there was a correlation between carrying puck over our own blue line and how it influenced what we could do at the other team’s blue line, so we worked on different schemes and mechanisms to do that.

“After that, it just made sense we had to try and prevent the opposition from doing the same. I’ve enjoyed watching it a lot. It’s been fun to see the whole thing develop.”

"just fire the puck up the middle whenever you get it and pray one of our boys can get it and do something. also, big hits matter more than possession metrics" - DJ Smith, probably

Smith should have cost himself his job with his awful performance this year. He rode Hainsey and our PK into the ground so that it was ice cold heading into and including the playoffs. He failed to implement a proper breakout scheme against Boston and it burned us. and the defensive coverage is still lousy, with so many missed assignments and stuff. I really don't see the need to keep him

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think Keefe sticks around with the Marlies. The Islanders are going to be a mess next year and I doubt he's going to want to be the one tasked with fixing it. I do not think he wants to be an Assistant Coach in the NHL either. That's really a downgrade. He's running things in the AHL.

He may have to wait a bit, but the Leafs are going to be an amazing team when he takes over. If he wins a Calder this year, and then maybe another one next year, then we may risk losing him. It depends on his relationship with Dubas, and how much we are willing to pay to keep him. Keefe is not an elite coach, so it's not a desperation situation.

Not claiming that Keefe is an "elite" coach; however, I have seen may claim that Babcock is an "elite" coach.

Below is Babs' coaching record

2brji1.jpg

What about Babs' record (purely based on stats) indicates elite compared to Keefe? especially if we just compare minor league coaching record since Keefe hasn't coached in NHL yet

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not claiming that Keefe is an "elite" coach; however, I have seen may claim that Babcock is an "elite" coach.

2brji1.jpg

What about Babs' record (purely based on stats) indicates elite compared to Keefe? especially if we just compare minor league coaching record since Keefe hasn't coached in NHL yet

Absolutely nothing, and who knows maybe we fire Babcock? But we are paying him like an elite coach so clearly Shanny feels differently. I definitely feel like Babcock is one of the more overhyped coached out there.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe is a solid coach, has really improved as a coach. However he isnt on Babcock's level. Babcock is a much better coach then Keefe. Babcock is elite, while Keefe is just good.
If Keefe is our coach, we possibly miss the playoffs 2 years ago.
I would like to keep him though. 2 more successful seasons later by Babcock however, we lose Keefe.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Absolutely nothing, and who knows maybe we fire Babcock? But we are paying him like an elite coach so clearly Shanny feels differently. I definitely feel like Babcock is one of the more overhyped coached out there.

I really wish we could separate the team building/development and in-game tactics sides of coaching. I like what Babcock brings in terms of being the team dad for lack of a better word, but his in-game decisions aren't my favorite. I won't even bother beating the lines/ice time dead horse, it's the lack of a breakout and dependence on line-matching that hurts us.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Keefe is a solid coach, has really improved as a coach. However he isnt on Babcock's level. Babcock is a much better coach then Keefe. Babcock is elite, while Keefe is just good.
If Keefe is our coach, we possibly miss the playoffs 2 years ago.
I would like to keep him though. 2 more successful seasons later by Babcock however, we lose Keefe.
Babcock vs Keefe isn't really up for debate. Babcock will be the HC of the Leafs for the foreseeable future whether you like him or not. Smith vs Keefe makes more sense in my opinion. If Keefe wants a taste of NHL coaching, he would be a very deserving assistant coach. He's a great motivator and developer, and his strategy and approach to the game look very impressive. Losing Keefe would be pretty unfortunate, so I hope he's afforded an opportunity on the Leafs if he wants it

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't get all the love for Babcock. Certainly his game inane line match ups actually hurt the Leafs. Maybe the best thing would be Babcock is to coach practices and stay away from the games.
Not saying Keefe is the best AHL coach though his team looks it. The Marlies look organized and good ,game and and game out, so maybe that has to do with Keefe.
Keefe you would think deserve an NHL HC job as much as anyone.

Reactions: Al14

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

the bolded kind of shows the giant dmen were Hunter's decision, which knocks him down a notch for me in terms of him being a super scout. 2 or 3 of them have already gone (middelton, deroscher and mattinen right?). I expect to see a draft similar to 2015 next year, I assume this years plan and player targets may be set, high skill and high IQ players

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Babcock vs Keefe isn't really up for debate. Babcock will be the HC of the Leafs for the foreseeable future whether you like him or not. Smith vs Keefe makes more sense in my opinion. If Keefe wants a taste of NHL coaching, he would be a very deserving assistant coach. He's a great motivator and developer, and his strategy and approach to the game look very impressive. Losing Keefe would be pretty unfortunate, so I hope he's afforded an opportunity on the Leafs if he wants it

don't be so sure, if we miss or lose in round 1 next season and follow that up with another round 1 or miss there definitely should be a lot of pressure on Babcocks position. so if no progress in 2 seasons time im not sure how you justify keeping him. Can't keep burning through the cores prime if just doesn't work with babcock. now will Keefe be here in 3 seasons, probably unlikely but point still stands babcock cant be guaranteed a job for the foreseeable unless the team progresses.

edit: assuming health of the team of course, if we miss the playoffs because Matthews or Andersen or Rielly miss an entire season he cant be held accountable for that especially andersen

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would think Keefe has huge loyalty for Dubas and I think that would keep him here for a long term organic growth period in the organization.

Loyalty only goes so far. I'm not sure what Keefe gets paid, but if he gets an NHL coaching job, presumably it'll be for ~1M-2M per season. Plus if he's a competitive guy, which presumably he is, he'll want to be in the top league in the world with a chance to chase a Stanley Cup.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don't get all the love for Babcock. Certainly his game inane line match ups actually hurt the Leafs. Maybe the best thing would be Babcock is to coach practices and stay away from the games.
Not saying Keefe is the best AHL coach though his team looks it. The Marlies look organized and good ,game and and game out, so maybe that has to do with Keefe.
Keefe you would think deserve an NHL HC job as much as anyone.
There is love because the last 2 were terrible....really terrible.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not worried here. I mean inevitably Keefe will move on eventually, but Lou doesn't tend to go young, nhl inexperienced coaches, and arguably that isn't what's best for the Islanders right now either. Be it DJ Smith or Keefe.

I fully expect Lou to get a veteran coach.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There is love because the last 2 were terrible....really terrible.

You're right. But if you have had two terrible, really terrible wives, you shouldn't be paying top price for your third attempt and get an "average" wife.
Initially I really liked the Babcock signing. The eight year contract really gave the organization stability. But his stubborn, inane, poor game. time coaching hurts the team, costing them wins. To me that is causing the rifts between Matthews (and maybe others) with Babcock.
Again it's my opinion, Babcock doesn't put in as much effort and thinking into his coaching as he expects from his players. His "thinking" of the game. is on cruise control from his past experiences, and he doesn't adapt to the game being played.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's a coach that gets it. Part of the new and future wave of coaches. Very open minded and a great communicator.

No idea how he'll do at the NHL level but I think he'll get there eventually.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Loyalty only goes so far. I'm not sure what Keefe gets paid, but if he gets an NHL coaching job, presumably it'll be for ~1M-2M per season. Plus if he's a competitive guy, which presumably he is, he'll want to be in the top league in the world with a chance to chase a Stanley Cup.
I would have to agree with that but I do think if it's money, we can pay him. I do also think he is happy at the moment and also willing to pay his dues and come up through the organization but this is just me speculating

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You're right. But if you have had two terrible, really terrible wives, you shouldn't be paying top price for your third attempt and get an "average" wife.
Initially I really liked the Babcock signing. The eight year contract really gave the organization stability. But his stubborn, inane, poor game. time coaching hurts the team, costing them wins. To me that is causing the rifts between Matthews (and maybe others) with Babcock.
Again it's my opinion, Babcock doesn't put in as much effort and thinking into his coaching as he expects from his players. His "thinking" of the game. is on cruise control from his past experiences, and he doesn't adapt to the game being played.
Interesting - I always got the impression that Babcock was one of the absolute hardest-working guys in the locker room.

I see a lot of his decisions as 'coaching for the future' as he develops a bunch of up-and-coming superstars to try and teach them to be NHLers, rather than making decisions just to win tonight's game. I find that most of the time I disagree with people about Babcock it's because they're expecting more out of him right now, whereas I'm expecting the dividends to be paid in years 5-20 instead. Perhaps my patience is misplaced, but I often get the sense that many people around here are unable to see the forest for the trees.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am not one bit concerned about losing Keefe because there is 1 coaching spot open and Alan Veinualt doesn't have a job and Barry Trotz doesn't have a contract in about 3 weeks either.

Barry Trotz and Alan Veinualt get hired before Keefe lets be realistic he's not going anywhere

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Probably won't need to fire DJ Smith, but Keefe would be a good replacement in his assistant spot.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

2brji1.jpg

Twenty-six consecutive seasons as a head coach at all levels -- junior, college and pro -- is impressive. He has one Stanley Cup championship, two other Stanley Cup Finals, and missed the playoffs only twice in a 16-year NHL head-coaching career.

You didn't mention his 1997 WJC gold medal, his back-to-back 2010-14 Olympic gold medals (if thats so easy, why is he the only Canadian coach to do it?), and his 2016 World Cup gold medal.

He is the only coach ever to win a Stanley Cup, an Olympic gold medal and an IIHF World Championship.

You don't see anything in his resume that suggests he is an elite coach?

Who exactly would you have in mind as a comparitor?

Reactions: stickty111

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If Babcock is not an elite hockey coach, who is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad