Sheldon Keefe "The Chief" Discussion Thread

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Its hard to say really.

I personally think the Avs and Vegas are legit teams but their division is the most suspect of all as its very top heavy with 4 dud teams and an inconsistant Blues team that just lost their captain in the offseason. I'm also not quite sold on the Wild and their insane turnaround as they too might have an inflated record feasting on the bottom feeders. (25-6-1 against them).

How good are the top teams there?

What do you think of the East with the resurgent Pens getting massive help from Kapanen and Ceci being a stud on their 2nd pairing? Is the other team with an aging core, the Caps, gonna go on another run this year?

Are the top 2 teams in the Central, the Canes and the Cats, any better than Toronto and Edmonton? Leafs and Oilers big issues the last couple years have been goaltending and with Campbell and Smith leading those teams, do they have an edge now? Tampa is in the mix too of course but has injury issues that might make things difficult.

The unpredictability of the postseason is one of the best parts of this odd year.

In simple terms the East, Central & West all sent 3 teams to the Top 10....the North sent 1.

(and 3 in the bottom 10)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I have been saying this since day 1 this team will be judged soley on playoff results, most of those numbers you posted Zeke are great but they don't mean shit if this team goes out in round 1 or 2.
Through 56 games in which every team in Canada was beaten, every team participated, and the Leafs were victorious. The NHL will acknowledge them as division champions (Canadian champions). There are no banners for winning 2 rounds of playoffs nor should there be. Now that the Canada cup has been won, it's time to focus on the Stanley Cup. Upsets do happen in the short best of 7 series so keeping my fingers crossed and very happy with how the team played the 20/21 season. We are the Canadian champions.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Its hard to say really.

I personally think the Avs and Vegas are legit teams but their division is the most suspect of all as its very top heavy with 4 dud teams and an inconsistant Blues team that just lost their captain in the offseason. I'm also not quite sold on the Wild and their insane turnaround as they too might have an inflated record feasting on the bottom feeders. (25-6-1 against them).

How good are the top teams there?

What do you think of the East with the resurgent Pens getting massive help from Kapanen and Ceci being a stud on their 2nd pairing? Is the other team with an aging core, the Caps, gonna go on another run this year?

Are the top 2 teams in the Central, the Canes and the Cats, any better than Toronto and Edmonton? Leafs and Oilers big issues the last couple years have been goaltending and with Campbell and Smith leading those teams, do they have an edge now? Tampa is in the mix too of course but has injury issues that might make things difficult.

The unpredictability of the postseason is one of the best parts of this odd year.

I'd say the Avs, VGK, are probably similar to Toronto as far as contenders and the only difference is there isn't a second team in the North to rival Toronto. Minnesota is also a nice resurgent story in that division led by Kaprizov.

Extremely impressed with the quality of play of the Hurricanes, and I like what Florida has done, though haven't watched the Panthers too much other than the fact that they're more than holding their own vs Tampa (depleted Stanley Cup champions).

The one division I don't really care about is the East. I find the Pens, Caps, Bruins and Islanders are all kind of old hat with similar cores as we've seen over the past decade, so who cares what they do. Just known quantities, veteran teams doing the same thing over and over against each other.

In terms of crap teams, it seems like every division is blessed with a handful to beat the crap out of.

All in all, who cares if your team wins and takes the path of least resistance? They don't give out extra bonus points for a harder path. If the other divisions want to annihilate each other and Toronto can have an easy path to the semi finals and beat up the two remaining teams? Suits me just fine.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In simple terms the East, Central & West all sent 3 teams to the Top 10....the North sent 1.

(and 3 in the bottom 10)

Hmm sounds simple. Let me try.

North has 1 team in the top 5 and 0 in the bottom 5.

East has 0 teams in the top-5 and 2 in the bottom 5.

Central has 2 in the top 5 and 2 in the bottom 5.

West has 2 in the top 5 and 1 in the bottom 5.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Through 56 games in which every team in Canada was beaten, every team participated, and the Leafs were victorious. The NHL will acknowledge them as division champions (Canadian champions). There are no banners for winning 2 rounds of playoffs nor should there be. Now that the Canada cup has been won, it's time to focus on the Stanley Cup. Upsets do happen in the short best of 7 series so keeping my fingers crossed and very happy with how the team played the 20/21 season. We are the Canadian champions.

That's fantastic, I don't give a f*** about being the Canadian champions, there is ONE Championship I want

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

(and 3 in the bottom 10)

Toronto and Edmonton with their playoff goaltenders make the teams look quite different though no?

...and the standings during the Leafs good run look very interesting to say the least (since March 20th)

Top 10 teams since then:

1. Leafs (.783)
2. Pens (.769)
3. Avs (.760)
4. Wild (.731)
4. Canes (.731)
6. Knights (.712)
7. Oilers (.700)
7. Preds (.700)
9. Panthers (.673)
9. Bruins (.673)

The Leafs and Oilers finally getting solid goaltending really makes them as scary as any of the teams in the playoffs, thats for sure.

Reactions: stopclickbait

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hmm sounds simple. Let me try.

North has 1 team in the top 5 and 0 in the bottom 5.

East has 0 teams in the top-5 and 2 in the bottom 5.

Central has 2 in the top 5 and 2 in the bottom 5.

West has 2 in the top 5 and 1 in the bottom 5.

You sure love those small sample sizes. 4 divisions and you go with Top and Bottom 5 :thumbu:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Toronto and Edmonton with their playoff goaltenders make the teams look quite different though no?

...and the standings during the Leafs good run look very interesting to say the least (since March 20th)

Top 10 teams since then:

1. Leafs (.783)
2. Pens (.769)
3. Avs (.760)
4. Wild (.731)
4. Canes (.731)
6. Knights (.712)
7. Oilers (.700)
7. Preds (.700)
9. Panthers (.673)
9. Bruins (.673)

The Leafs and Oilers finally getting solid goaltending really makes them as scary as any of the teams in the playoffs, thats for sure.

Well your chosen sample size certainly enhances your argument.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sounds a lot like draft shmaft. I enjoy the little victories, there should be quite a few compared to the number of BIG victories.

I don't care if they draft a single player in this draft nobody has been able to scout properly anyway because barely anybody played.

They could punt this entire draft, take whatever picks they have left and flip them at the draft

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't care if they draft a single player in this draft nobody has been able to scout properly anyway because barely anybody played.

They could punt this entire draft, take whatever picks they have left and flip them at the draft
I get it some are all or nothing, too bad they will only rarely be happy.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well your chosen sample size certainly enhances your argument.

...and its a hugely relevant one. How teams are performing close to the full 2nd half of the season headed into the playoffs? The Oilers playing almost all their games with their #1 .924 save% goalie instead of the .899 save% one? The Leafs playing most of their games with their #1 .923 save% goalie instead of the .897 save% one?

Don't you think this sample would be a more accurate representation of what their teams are or do you think the Andersen/Koskinen versions are more accurate? Are a post deadline rosters a better reflection or pre-deadline?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
So, about that Keefe guy, I like him, and more importantly it seems like the players like him as well. I like that he challenged Tavares to lead the charge towards being more defensively responsible and to drag the team along with him. It's worked. I like that he's utilized as many players as he has, keeping as much of the team engaged as possible during this wacky year when I'd think it is difficult to be focused throughout, and a tip of the cap to Brandon Pridham for giving him the financial flexibility to do so. I like how he's benched or sat players who have lost the plot in a game, holding them to a degree of accountability that has helped the team recognize they need to play at both ends of the rink. I like that he's played Matthews and Marner together for the year, Tavares and Nylander too. I like how he's allowed: Thornton, Simmonds, Bogo, and of course Vintage, the chance to help reduce the 'panicky' nature of the team, to a point where if the Leafs have the lead I expect them to hold it; of course this is a reflection of those players and their personalities, but Keefe has kept them playing when he might not have, and their infectious relaxed natures have rubbed off on the team to it's benefit. It appears that Keefe is very good at communicating with players on an individual basis, consistent with a Dubas approach, and one that I think is vital with the younger players of today, I like that too.

About the only thing I don't like about Keefe is the approach the team has demonstrated on the PP, and that, apparently, is the responsibility of Malhotra. Please put JT down low, with Nylander and Matthews on their off sides allowing them both to 'Ovi' it, and please, please, please reduce the reliance on the drop pass when breaking through the neutral zone.

Oh, one last thing, I hate how Keefe allowed Matthews wrist to get fu...messed up, cost #34 5 goals minimum on the year, stooopid coaching ;)

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I get it some are all or nothing, too bad they will only rarely be happy.

No you don't why did I say I didn't care about this draft? because it couldn't be properly scouted because barely anybody played, in fact the OHL didn't play as far as I'm aware.

If if leagues can't play what does the draft matter?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No you don't why did I say I didn't care about this draft? because it couldn't be properly scouted because barely anybody played, in fact the OHL didn't play as far as I'm aware.

If if leagues can't play what does the draft matter?
I only used the term draft shmaft as an analogy. So that I could compare, the I want to win it all now attitude some such as yourself have. As you stated you are not interested in the little successes. They mean nothing to you. Well winning the division meant a lot to me. I'm thankful for it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I only used the term draft shmaft as an analogy. So that I could compare, the I want to win it all now attitude some such as yourself have. As you stated you are not interested in the little successes. They mean nothing to you. Well winning the division meant a lot to me. I'm thankful for it.

The little success means nothing to me because this team is capable of the ultimate success

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

(and 3 in the bottom 10)
Mhm, interesting how you chose top/bottom-10 to specifically manufacture that result. The North is the only division without a team in the bottom 5. And the East is the only division without a team in the top-5. So by your same logic, East would clearly be weakest. Or that's just a horrible way to determine divisional strength.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
North has relatively more teams that can contend to make the playoffs in a regular year. That’s great, but not a lot of the types of teams that contend for a top spot in their division (we are that team in North, and no the fact that we have struggled to do so before doesn’t change that we are that quality of team).

When a top team ends top in their division, they play fringe playoff teams in the playoffs the first couple of rounds. That is what playoff seeding is designed to do.

So we are a top team playing fringe playoff teams in the first couple rounds.

But let’s not pretend that the previous division alignment was completely even, ours has just been brutal. In a perfectly league average alignment, Leafs are still a top divisional team playing fringe playoff teams in the first couple of rounds.

Reactions: Confucius

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You can't compare this season's results to any previous season for obvious reasons. Even rating teams on an overall NHL basis is questionable as well considering the season was played like four separate leagues. You gotta play the best to be compared to them.
It's great they won the North league, but now the real competition begins.

Reactions: ACC1224 and egd27

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Any chance he is in the top3 for Adam's voting?

Leafs were already a good team before he stepped in, but the improvement in defensive play has been stark, going back to the CBJ play-in series it looked like a completely different Leafs team. Based on that improvement, if the team makes it to the SCF, I could see Keefe take home the Adams.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs were already a good team before he stepped in, but the improvement in defensive play has been stark, going back to the CBJ play-in series it looked like a completely different Leafs team. Based on that improvement, if the team makes it to the SCF, I could see Keefe take home the Adams.
Isn’t voting usually conducted before the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->