Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If I'm Berube and it came down to the Leafs or Jets, I'd have to pick the Jets, city aside...........
From what people have said here about Berube, the Jets are way closer to his style than we are.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Living in Winnipeg is a pretty big deterrent lol
roger thta, but if your main objective is winning the city shouldn't really matter, besides other than the bone chilling winters and mosquitos, it's just another prairie town..........

From what people have said here about Berube, the Jets are way closer to his style than we are.
yup........

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Screenshot-2024-05-14-150403.png

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They won the f***ing Cup. It worked there.

Um no, it isn't. The players are not in charge; if they don't listen to their boss and play his way then they can be shipped out for players who will.

So in your world Cup winning coaches aren't good coaches? Got it.

Like his Cup ring? Yeah, why bother paying any attention to that eh?
Randy Carlyle and Mike Babcock both won the cup - but please, let's go ahead and make the same mistakes as we've done in the past.

It's concerning to me that Berube rode a super hot goalie to a cup, and since then has accomplished next to nothing as head coach, which ultimately led to his players completely tuning him out and some of that roster's young players being completely broken into submission.

No part of that sounds like the sort of coach, or personality, that the Leafs need here.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If I'm Berube and it came down to the Leafs or Jets, I'd have to pick the Jets, city aside...........
My personal take:

Winnipeg pros
  • Less pressure
    • The Jets have been performing much closer to expectations, and there's a lot less media scrutiny in Winnipeg
    • In Toronto you'll be under the microscope from day 1, having to bear the burden from a history of playoff failures before you arrived
  • Less career risk
    • It's too early to say what this does to Keefe's career, but for our 3 previous coaches, Wilson, Carlyle and Babs, it was borderline career suicide. Wilson never coached in the NHL again, Carlyle did coach again but not for long, Babs will probably never coach in the NHL again
    • The combination of intense scrutiny and a team that just doesn't seem to perform in the playoffs can destroy your reputation as a coach (obviously with Babs it was his mind-games with players too ... but he behaved the same way in Detroit and it got swept under the rug, the media scrutiny in Toronto amplified the impact a lot IMO)
Toronto pros
  • Better compensation
    • We'd probably pay a lot higher than the Jets would, and facilities, perks, etc. would all be better too
  • Better (IMO) city
    • Toronto is a much more fun city for you and your family to live in
  • Legacy
    • Most coaches are largely forgotten by the hockey world a few years after they retire, only a select few legends stay in people's consciousness. Berube, as things stand, is on the "quickly forgotten" career path, and coaching the Jets is unlikely to change that
    • If he does manage to turn things around and lead the Leafs to their first cup since 1967, he'd be an instant hockey legend. Could be attractive if he cares about his legacy

Could go either way, and I think depends a fair bit on your risk tolerance. The upside with Toronto is very high (hockey legend potential, better compensation, more fun), but there's also high risk of being in a brutally stressful situation that literally ruins your career afterwards.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Randy Carlyle and Mike Babcock both won the cup - but please, let's go ahead and make the same mistakes as we've done in the past.

It's concerning to me that Berube rode a super hot goalie to a cup, and since then has accomplished next to nothing as head coach, which ultimately led to his players completely tuning him out and some of that roster's young players being completely broken into submission.

No part of that sounds like the sort of coach, or personality, that the Leafs need here.
so, am I getting this correct, some here would rather have a coach that hasn't won a cup as opposed to a coach who has? If you want success shouldn't your coach have been successful in the past?

My personal take:

Winnipeg pros
  • Less pressure
    • The Jets have been performing much closer to expectations, and there's a lot less media scrutiny in Winnipeg
    • In Toronto you'll be under the microscope from day 1, having to bear the burden from a history of playoff failures before you arrived
  • Less career risk
    • It's too early to say what this does to Keefe's career, but for our 3 previous coaches, Wilson, Carlyle and Babs, it was borderline career suicide. Wilson never coached in the NHL again, Carlyle did coach again but not for long, Babs will probably never coach in the NHL again
    • The combination of intense scrutiny and a team that just doesn't seem to perform in the playoffs can destroy your reputation as a coach
Toronto pros
  • Better compensation
    • We'd probably pay a lot higher than the Jets would, and facilities, perks, etc. would all be better too
  • Better (IMO) city
  • Legacy
    • If you do manage to turn things around and lead the Leafs to their first cup since 1967, you'd be an instant hockey legend

Could go either way, and I think depends a fair bit on your risk tolerance. The upside with Toronto is very high (hockey legend potential, better compensation, more fun), but there's also high risk of being in a brutally stressful situation that literally ruins your career afterwards.
his family live in Philly, have for years, so that isn't a issue, and take it from a guy who traveled with work for 30 years, it doesn't matter where you ar if it's not home it sucks........

Reactions: Evilhomer

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
You might want to go check out what the pens fans feel about Sullivan

Blues fans don't think highly of Berube either. All of these guys worn out their welcome at some point, it's the nature of the gig. Basically everyone in the game but Cooper and Rod are either disliked by their fans or too new and will be disliked by their fans in the future.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
My personal take:

Winnipeg pros
  • Less pressure
  • Less career risk
    • The combination of intense scrutiny and a team that just doesn't seem to perform in the playoffs can destroy your reputation as a coach (obviously with Babs it was his mind-games with players too ... but he behaved the same way in Detroit and it got swept under the rug, the media scrutiny in Toronto amplified the impact a lot IMO)
Toronto pros
  • Better compensation
  • Better (IMO) city
  • Legacy
    • Most coaches are largely forgotten by the hockey world a few years after they retire, only a select few legends stay in people's consciousness. Berube, as things stand, is on the "quickly forgotten" career path, and coaching the Jets is unlikely to change that
    • If he does manage to turn things around and lead the Leafs to their first cup since 1967, he'd be an instant hockey legend. Could be attractive if he cares about his legacy

Toronto is an absolute cesspool of a city. I know Winnipeg has its fair share of problems, but at the very least it's smaller and more tolerable than a huge megalopolis like Toronto.

horner

May 22, 2007
My personal take:

Winnipeg pros
  • Less pressure
  • Less career risk
Toronto pros
  • Better compensation
  • Better (IMO) city
  • Legacy

If he didn't want the pressure he wouldn't have had a 2nd interview.

Reactions: Buds17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't get why people consider his cup run "magic" or a "fluke".

Does he not get any credit at all for taking over a St. Louis team in last place and coaching them to a cup?

Well, the longer he had the team to teach them his systems, the worse they got.

It is like people claiming Lou is some genius GM with the Islanders, the longer he has the team, the worse they perform.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto is an absolute cesspool of a city. I know Winnipeg has its fair share of problems, but at the very least it's smaller and more tolerable than a huge megalopolis like Toronto.

If you're a young multi-millionaire, Toronto is pretty great (long winters aside).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kyper says he knows that Berube's # 1 choice is the coach Philly

I think its pretty well known that our organization is a joke. They pay well because they have to convince people to stay. Unlike the Detroit Red Wings of the 90s and 00s or Leafs of the 90s and early 00s under Stavro.

Good owners make a big difference.

Reactions: PromisedLand

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think its pretty well known that our organization is a joke. They pay well because they have to convince people to stay. Unlike the Detroit Red Wings of the 90s and 00s or Leafs of the 90s and early 00s under Stavro.

Good owners make a big difference.

I have no idea how this relates to what you quoted, which is that Berube prefers Philly because he lives there

• Haha
Reactions: Albz and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad