Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sheldon made mistakes and learned here. Now that he's learned from them and improved, another team will benefit from us developing him for them
Games 7 was not lost by coaching at all. He did however have them playing an incredibly disciplined defensive system for 5 and 6. This series was about the best series Keefe has coached by a mile.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
^ beat me to itView attachment 870093

I think it makes a lot of sense. The media can't second guess and disparage a proven cup winner. Might give us the inside edge on resigning Edmundson as well.
I mean, the media (rightfully) pilloried Babcock. All it takes is one narrative for the media to pounce. Fortunately I think Chief has thick enough skin to handle it

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Games 7 was not lost by coaching at all. He did however have them playing an incredibly disciplined defensive system for 5 and 6. This series was about the best series Keefe has coached by a mile.
Some of it was who he was coaching against. Who ever lost game 7 the coach was getting fired.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I want no part of a coach who couldn't win with McDavid. Let's hope they look a bit deeper than him.

To be fair, I am not sure any coach can win with that roster.

And if they make the whole team play D, McDavid won't look like McDavid anymore.

Reactions: bax

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Is there any good assistant coaches bouncing around that ran a good PP? Someone from Edmonton? :laugh:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Once all the guns came back he reverted to ice by salary trend. His big weakness
Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 3.00.45 PM.png

game 7 TOI, it's not true.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Your post is predicated on the naive and erroneous belief that they started their search when they fired Keefe. They didn't, they would have been narrowing down candidates long before that.
My belief is predicated on the fact that there will be only two people actually interviewed for the job, and the person who gets the job will be the person that we heard about three months ago.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so they have only interviewed 2 candidates so far, McLennan, and Berube. wonder how many more Brad will interview?

saw this on twitter too. Could be fake but if true Leafs can potentially have two NHL head coaches behind the bench with Berube as HC and another former head coach as his assistant

Am still holding out hope for Quenneville though lol :laugh:

Reactions: Cleetus

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Might just be the two. They've said to the media they're looking to move quickly on things

interesting to the bolded; I missed this bit of nugget. When was this?

I can see the sense why they might wanna do that though...

- get HC and assistants figured out
- game plan the kind of players you want to target and the kind of players you don't want on the roster with HC and assistant coaches inputs so they are not getting players they prefer not to have to play their style of hockey at least in terms of new additions via trades or free agency
- do the best you can given the current limitations (NMCs/NTCs, cap hits, etc...)
- move forward with a plan

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting article, Chase talking about Berube as a good fit here. This part might frighten some, but it’s reality:

“We won the Cup because Chief prepared us like that.”

When it does get to crunch time in April, Chase expects a Berube-coached team to follow Conn Smythe’s beat-’em-in-the alley mentality, or as much as the letter of the law allows in the current NHL.

“Some people won’t like to hear this, but we won the Cup because we got punched a lot less and bullied other teams. It’s hard to do that to a team like Boston, but we won three games in their building”

Hockey will always be a violent sport.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting article, Chase talking about Berube as a good fit here. This part might frighten some, but it’s reality:

“We won the Cup because Chief prepared us like that.”

When it does get to crunch time in April, Chase expects a Berube-coached team to follow Conn Smythe’s beat-’em-in-the alley mentality, or as much as the letter of the law allows in the current NHL.

“Some people won’t like to hear this, but we won the Cup because we got punched a lot less and bullied other teams. It’s hard to do that to a team like Boston, but we won three games in their building”

Hockey will always be a violent sport.

Florida has figured it out so far as well.
Punch, cross check, take liberties but stay right on the line or conceal your misdeeds very well.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Florida has figured it out so far as well.
Punch, cross check, take liberties but stay right on the line or conceal your misdeeds very well.
With the current playoff set up, we’re never getting out of this division without muscle and grit, it isn’t pretty hockey. Skill, augmented with grease and on the edge aggression.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With the current playoff set up, we’re never getting out of this division without muscle and grit, it isn’t pretty hockey. Skill, augmented with grease and on the edge aggression.
The Leafs core 4 should be 2 forwards, 1D and 1G. Then good hockey players that play a strong North/South game like SOBs.

Not what we have. That’s why we are 1-7.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am just concerned at the lack of casting a wide net in terms of interviews. It seems as if we are zeroing in someone before the process has even begun and not really considering any other candidates. This was the case with Keefe, Treliving, and now it appears to be the same with Berube.

Berube may be the right man for the job..I don't have a super strong opinion on the guy one way or the other, though he obviously has some easily identified positives.

I also doubt they underwent an extensive search. It wasn't a coincidence that multiple media guys started talking about him and the Leafs before Keefe was even officially fired.

Doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be a bad hire by any stretch. But the clock starts ticking on Tre and his coach right away

Reactions: Skullz

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The Leafs core 4 should be 2 forwards, 1D and 1G. Then good hockey players that play a strong North/South game like SOBs.

Not what we have. That’s why we are 1-7.
You’re not going anywhere in this league without skill and speed. Also true, you’re not going anywhere in the playoff relying on skill and speed. It’s hockey, just like football, intimidation and contact will always play a role. I don’t know why we can’t accept that, and if you can’t then another sport is a better fit for what you’re after. The days of enforcers and fighting is largely an afterthought, but hard tough, tight, dirty play, it’s there almost every game this playoffs, it’s center stage.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I'm at a loss with people wanting Bertuzzi back. He only scored 20 goals playing on the second highest scoring team in the league, and he took more dumb or careless penalties than I can count. If he came back on another one year deal at a cheaper cost, sure, go for it, but I assume he wants the same or more money and more term.
He is a funny one for me. Hated his game the first half of the season, then he turned it around somewhat especially when him and Domi played with Matthews. In the playoffs he was willing to go to the dirty areas and take some punishment while pushing back which is great and what I appreciated but overall, I am kinda meh. For the right price, sure, but not 5+m.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
One of my concerns if they hire Berube (or any other coach that has a pair) is what will happen the first time he calls the stars out publicly for their lack of passion, not earning their money, etc.

Does he get an immediate call from an incensed Shanahan who orders him to issue a statement fully walking back his comments or does management stand by their coach?

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad