Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Call me crazy, but Keefe is a better coach than Berube. It should have been Shanahan who was fired, Keefe was just the scapegoat for Shanahans incompetence. The team is heavily flawed from the net out.

Samsonov, Woll, Tavares, Marner and Rielly all need to go. That is the problem. It was not the coach.

Woll needs to go? The guy makes less than the league minimum salary what the hell are you talking about. He could be one of the best value contracts in the league next season.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Because Stickty likes none aggressive Nu-Hockey. Ignore him.
woodcroft's teams actually played with speed and aggressiveness. not my number one choice but you're definitely not watching his system if you think his teams weren't aggressive. His team's goalies and defense sucked lol.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1715588297297.png

This PP1 is the epitome of Keefe.

Q: what's a good PP line ? A: the top 5 paid guys.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My outside pick is Boudreau. I think he almost joined the team last year in some capacity.

"Boudreau has been a supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs since childhood, and admits that he still cheers for the club when the team does not face off against a squad that he is actively coaching, and watches Maple Leafs games on television when he is able to.["

I would like him as an assistant to run the PP, I want as many people That have won championships as possible but he is an exception so long as he is strictly the PP coach

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What difference does it make who the coach is when we are on the verge of 1 of 2 things:

1. A re-tool
2. Blowing the team up

Both will likely result in another firing of a coach.

Does anyone really think that hiring just the right coach will make this shit team better?

Yes having a coach that is not an idiot would make this team better.

Sheldon Keefe is the worst coach in the league, he's proven that over and over again.

Reactions: BM14

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Samsonov, Woll, Tavares, Marner and Rielly all need to go. That is the problem. It was not the coach.
Yes the team is poorly constructed.

Did you lump Woll in that problem list ?
He was 2-0 with a GAA 0.86 and a SV% of .964 with being thrown in with little notice.

It's also true no one can coach this deeply flawed team to playoff success. But you cant change the players ... so you ....

Keefe also adds very little. He's still learning the NHL game. He's also failed to find special teams coaches that are useful. The blame falls on him.

He wasn't able to see Sammy wasnt a playoff performer and Woll is. He forgot what happened last year (and it happened again this year). He forgot Brodie isnt a legit NHL D anymore ... played him in game 4 and it was a disaster. Keefe can't ice the best team and the best lines. For that alone, he needs to go. EVEN more importantly, the players need fresh eyes and new atmosphere that new coaching staff brings.

Keefe and Marner need to go. JT is expiring and signing him cheap may work but it's LOW priority. No team will take JT's anchor contract - not worth discussing.

Marner needs to go so we can bolster the D and CHANGE the dynamics of the forwards. The team needs to learn how to score playoff goals not regular season pond hockey goals when shot blocking is low everyone is working at 85%.

Mitch can have success, even playoff success, elsewhere. It's just the Leafs will not have success with him and his contract.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Woll needs to go? The guy makes less than the league minimum salary what the hell are you talking about. He could be one of the best value contracts in the league next season.
He cannot stay healthy -the GM literally said this at the press conference.

If you roll with Woll as your #1/1A, you’re not going anywhere. As a 1B/2A? I can buy that.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You honestly think Keefe was the problem?

With the worst goaltending in the NHL and guys like Marner on the team what did you
Absolutely. I have never seen players discuss amongst themselves about what they will do on critical faceoffs. This team just seemed to do it all the time. Keefe’s input was looking on from the bench left to wonder what the players will try. Was there zero structure in place?

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Seems like the candidates mentioned wont be much better then Keefer.

especially if we keep our assistants.

Keefer will do well in NJ

As in the NFL ..to win you need a QB
MLB is about pitching
NBA is all about Stars
NHL is about having a goalie and what you can get away with in playoffs.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You honestly think Keefe was the problem?

With the worst goaltending in the NHL and guys like Marner on the team what did you expect.
Keefe wasn't the main problem, but he definitely was a problem. Toronto sticking to same game plan and hoping they break through eventually in the series is a pure coaching decision. That's been the organization game plan this entire era so far.

Realistically, Shanahan should have been fired, same with Keefe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad