Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I hear you brother, I had the misfortune of living through the Ballard years. Dark times indeed.

One of the craziest things this team did was not signing Wayne Gretzky in 1996 (only the second best player in the history of the NHL, Orr is first) when he wanted to come here, Fletcher wanted him here, but the cost cutting people in charge at the time (I believe it was Stavro who nixed it) decided they couldn't do it. In the next 2 years only Jagr and Selanne had more points. Mindboggling.

So the Steve Stavro thing.

He wouuld actually talk to the people that were at the bar drinking at one of his knob hill farms location. I believe it was the lakeshore queens quay location. And the drunks didn’t want Gretzky. These drunks were the ones who advises stavro to get Clark back too.

Omg the good old days.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Berube is a good option.

People do a real disservice to him by saying he just rode Binnington and Petro to a cup win. He's a solid coach and did good work before things fell apart for them including getting rid of Petro.

Quenneville (assuming he clears), Berube, and Brind'Amour should be the top three.

And if it's McLellan, I'm out. There's only so much torture someone can handle.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Berube is a good option.

People do a real disservice to him by saying he just rode Binnington and Petro to a cup win. He's a solid coach and did good work before things fell apart for them including getting rid of Petro.

Quenneville (assuming he clears), Berube, and Brind'Amour should be the top three.

David Pagnotta reported Quenneville was not cleared to coach. Likely won't be either. Teams have asked and reached out for his availability but not the Leafs (yet anyway)

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I wish we still had Paul Maurice as our coach, as he is doing a fantastic job in Florida. Love his system and physical style and always been a fan and believer.

"Never say never to a Paul Maurice coached team" was my motto when he was behind the Leafs bench.
I dislike the Panthers as an org but wouldn't mind seeing Paul Mo hoist the cup. The guy deserves it more than any other coach in the NHL. Always been a fan.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
David Pagnotta reported Quenneville was not cleared to coach. Likely won't be either. Teams have asked and reached out for his availability but not the Leafs (yet anyway)

Interesting.

That should remove his name then.

I'm guessing the top candidates are going to be Berube, Sullivan, Gallant, and then Brind'Amour depending on his desire to leave Carolina.

Just hoping they don't do something atrocious like signing McLellan for the next 3-4 seasons.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

He wouuld actually talk to the people that were at the bar drinking at one of his knob hill farms location. I believe it was the lakeshore queens quay location. And the drunks didn’t want Gretzky. These drunks were the ones who advises stavro to get Clark back too.

Omg the good old days.
The young'uns have no idea what being a Leafs fan was like in the 80s. Spoiler: it was bad. Very, very bad.

Berube is a good option.

This is the Leafs we're talking about. They will go for the biggest name available. Right now, that is Berube, so it will be him.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Omg the good old days.

Right..............

If MLSE were to flex their muscles for a change, Gary Butthead would clear Q right away.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Right.............

“Wendel Clark (again) – Leafs owner Steve Stavro has had enough of the daily onslaught of fans’ – many of them being his Knob Hill Farms grocery customers – constant suggestions that he bring back Wendel Clark.”

You may not know this but Stavro would always talk to employees and customers at the knob hill farms location at the lakeshore queensquay location. I don’t know the exact location but it was near the harbour in Toronto when I used to see him.

It would be hard to find an old article that explained why he didn’t want Gretzky either than him being cheap. But I saw the conversations he would have at the bar at that knob hill farm location

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What difference does it make who the coach is when we are on the verge of 1 of 2 things:

1. A re-tool
2. Blowing the team up

Both will likely result in another firing of a coach.

Does anyone really think that hiring just the right coach will make this shit team better?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
What difference does it make who the coach is when we are on the verge of 1 of 2 things:

1. A re-tool
2. Blowing the team up

Both will likely result in another firing of a coach.

Does anyone really think that hiring just the right coach will make this shit team better?

Seemed to work for the Oilers and Canucks.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Doubt that and I honestly don't want him leading our team either.

Well thankfully you have no input on the decision.

“Wendel Clark (again) – Leafs owner Steve Stavro has had enough of the daily onslaught of fans’ – many of them being his Knob Hill Farms grocery customers – constant suggestions that he bring back Wendel Clark.”

You may not know this but Stavro would always talk to employees and customers at the knob hill farms location at the lakeshore queensquay location. I don’t know the exact location but it was near the harbour in Toronto when I used to see him.

It would be hard to find an old article that explained why he didn’t want Gretzky either than him being cheap. But I saw the conversations he would have at the bar at that knob hill farm location

Anyone who thinks that he let fans at his store convince him not to bring in Gretzky is an idiot. He didn't bring him in, but that wasn't why.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
My outside pick is Boudreau. I think he almost joined the team last year in some capacity.

"Boudreau has been a supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs since childhood, and admits that he still cheers for the club when the team does not face off against a squad that he is actively coaching, and watches Maple Leafs games on television when he is able to.["

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My outside pick is Boudreau. I think he almost joined the team last year in some capacity.

"Boudreau has been a supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs since childhood, and admits that he still cheers for the club when the team does not face off against a squad that he is actively coaching, and watches Maple Leafs games on television when he is able to.["

I have always liked him. Boudreau would probably go the extra mile and be very passionate if he got the job.

He is a far better coach than Keefe was as well.

Reactions: trellaine201

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
No to Boudreau. I love Bruce. Wanted him here maybe 4 -5 years ago. Not now, not with this team. We'd be the Cunucks before Tocchet took over. Bruce is easy to tune out, I'm sorry to say. He's retirement age Keefe.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad