Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
*Trigger Warning* I have zero interest in Rod. Canes are a slightly better Leafs both in performance and on paper, and he still has failed quite badly with a very solid team.

My list worth $0.02:
  1. Q
  2. ----------- Grand Canyon-sized gap
  3. Berube
  4. Gallant
  5. Sutter

Please no Brucey, Woodcroft (Sheldon 2.0), or any other friendly/"progressive" type.
"friendly/progressive type" lol.

Yeah, they need a taskmaster, but it Keefe came in more dependent on his stars that coaches would like, succeed or fail. Basically, he was the new coach and the inmates ran the asylum. Some of the DNA on the Leafs is just awful soft and he has to go out and defend it somehow in interviews. Not a job everyone can do though he was becoming a little more outspoken of late.

In his next gig he will be more comfortable in the NHL and the team will tell him to do what he must, no one is above the team.

NJ does seem like a very good fit after where he came from. I'm sure he wants a break but if he can negotiate an extra year or two extension, he should take it and get right back in.

In the end, as I said, he may not have been the solution but he wasn't the problem.

Reactions: danny90

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
"friendly/progressive type" lol.

Yeah, they need a taskmaster, but it Keefe came in more dependent on his stars that coaches would like, succeed or fail. Basically, he was the new coach and the inmates ran the asylum. Some of the DNA on the Leafs is just awful soft and he has to go out and defend it somehow in interviews. Not a job everyone can do though he was becoming a little more outspoken of late.

In his next gig he will be more comfortable in the NHL and the team will tell him to do what he must, no one is above the team.

NJ does seem like a very good fit after where he came from. I'm sure he wants a break but if he can negotiate an extra year or two extension, he should take it and get right back in.

In the end, as I said, he may not have been the solution but he wasn't the problem.
It's interesting the journey Keefe took. He very much started out as the rah rah locker room guy and you see it in the MTL series clips.

He ends here as the calm, collected, enjoy the ride guy we saw in the Boston clips.

In the media, it was a little flipped, but with the team the above seemed to be the script.

Felt like the more he saw the team, the more he saw they struggled with pressure and played overly tight in key moments

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Hard to say. I don’t know what went on behind closed doors and I’m not going to slander anyone on an ultra sensitive issue but out of Bowman, Q and Chevy, only Chevy is still working in the league. Take that as you will. They couldn’t even be hired without clearance and reinstatement by the NHL. This is a road I would avoid.
I think MSLE can afford the lawsuit.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's interesting the journey Keefe took. He very much started out as the rah rah locker room guy and you see it in the MTL series clips.

He ends here as the calm, collected, enjoy the ride guy we saw in the Boston clips.

In the media, it was a little flipped, but with the team the above seemed to be the script.

Felt like the more he saw the team, the more he saw they struggled with pressure and played overly tight in key moments
Or the more he felt they were all growing and deep down he probably realized that they didn't have the stuff to win it all. Better to stay professional, not burn any bridges and use the Leafs for the catapult it always is for players and coaches.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He was calm at the end because he just saw the Priest, had his last meal and knew he was walking the Green Mile.
They knew the things they couldn’t say. From Keefe to Tre to Shanny, they knew the core as a whole wasn’t playoff warrior material.

Tre saw that Keefe could use the guys he brought in, but the not the core.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
f*** it, if the alternative is Todd McLellan, bring on Bruce.

bruce-bruce-boudreau.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is going to get wrapped up next week by Tre's words
but they should really do a thorough search and wait to hear 100% on Cooper / Brind Amour

The organization is haphazard by nature. They rush things and spend money like they own the printer. How can they spend all this time and basically cant develop a good D or tender. No contingencies. Its a poorly run organization.

Reactions: The Masters

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Or the more he felt they were all growing and deep down he probably realized that they didn't have the stuff to win it all. Better to stay professional, not burn any bridges and use the Leafs for the catapult it always is for players and coaches.
You think another speech like the MTL one going viral would have hurt his image? He was professional in both examples I used btw

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Rod the Bod is an interesting but probably unfeasible candidate. Let's say there's an actual chance he leaves the team he's an icon of. Rod has had much more playoff success than Keefe, has won a couple of division titles over him, and has finished higher in the overall standings pretty consistently. The Hurricanes also always dominate the public advanced stats and they are one of if not the most consistent team in terms of playstyle.

There are a few things that are "Leafy" with him and his Canes. Scoring issues have cropped up in the series' they've lost, same as us. And despite their success they've won the same amount of Conference Finals games as us under him, zero. In the postseason they’ve been plagued by a lot of one goal losses, hot opposition goalies, poor special teams, and bad bounces. Again similar to us only they plague Carolina in rounds beyond round 1.

Brind'Amour has gotten outcoached by coaches who've taken Keefe's (and Babcock's) lunch money over the years. Cassidy, Cooper, and Maurice, though he did get Cassidy once two seasons ago, but so did Keefe catch Cooper once. As far as the other coaches he's faced and beaten, Reirden, Trotz, Quinn, Hynes, Lambert, Ruff, and Roy, only Trotz really sticks out as impressive. In a division like the Atlantic with the likes of Cooper, Maurice, and Montgomery, would he have had as much success over the years if he was consistently going against these guys instead of some of the mediocrity in the Metro? Again, not to take away from him and Carolina but it's worth noting that a lot of their series wins have been against some pretty average coaches (outside of Trotz and Cassidy). Laviolette is also currently dismantling the Hurricanes.

This doesn't even get into the financial side, with rumours of his next contract being bigger than Babcock's I'm not sure how much of a stomach MLSE has for yet another big time hire in the leagues most volatile position off the ice. Yeah the Leafs make money hand over fist but the Raptors aren't competitive right now and TFC and the Argos lose more money than they make. Plus one of the recent big issues among the heads of MLSE is the Rogers side being pissed about having to pay Babcock for so long after he was fired. Who knows if they'll want to commit that much money to a coach again when you've got guys with better playoff success kicking around in Berube and Gallant who will probably cost less.

If the Rangers can finish the job on Saturday and sweep Carolina the Leafs should definitely check in. If Brind'Amour could bring the same level of consistency he has brought in Carolina maybe the Leafs higher level of elite players (specifically Nylander and Matthews) could help both sides with the problems that have plagued them come playoff time.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has identified the two lead contenders for the Maple Leafs' vacant coaching job following Sheldon Keefe's dismissal in Toronto.​

On Thursday, the Maple Leafs shocked the hockey world when they announced that they had fired Sheldon Keefe following yet another 1st round loss, this time to the Boston Bruins.

During his most recent 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman suggested that the two top candidates to land the gig are Craig Berube and Todd McLellan, but also threw Jay Woodcroft's name in there as a bit of a dark horse candidate.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has identified the two lead contenders for the Maple Leafs' vacant coaching job following Sheldon Keefe's dismissal in Toronto.​

On Thursday, the Maple Leafs shocked the hockey world when they announced that they had fired Sheldon Keefe following yet another 1st round loss, this time to the Boston Bruins.

During his most recent 32 Thoughts podcast, Friedman suggested that the two top candidates to land the gig are Craig Berube and Todd McLellan, but also threw Jay Woodcroft's name in there as a bit of a dark horse candidate.

“Shocked the hockey world”.

Yeah. What a shocker Elliotte

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Im not buying berube
And if they dont do a thorougu process for a head coach they are all idiots
Last time there wasnt even a process done. Dubas just texted keefe ur in

They had a multi-year audition for him with the Marlies...

Why does everyone pretend like he was his best friend who had no hockey experience?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
“Shocked the hockey world”.

Yeah. What a shocker Elliotte
This is all such tripe. It's very obviously going to be Berube. It's what the Leafs do - there is a "big" name available, so regardless of actual diligence or fit, they will just go get the big name. It's how Treliving landed here, it's how Babcock landed here, and it will be how Berube lands here. I hope it works out.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
Almost all here wanted Dubas. There were few of us and I mean very few who did not want Dubas here. I still carry the scars from all the abuse that was heaped upon me. You make some great points but that one is incorrect. I can count on one hand the people that were against the Dubas hire.
I didn’t want Dubas as GM.

Nothing against Dubas, but I didn’t feel he had the requisite experience to be the GM of The Toronto Maple Leafs. I also felt there were much better, more established and more experienced GM’s available, including the one he replaced.

The team also tried a rookie GM in John Ferguson JR. It didn’t go well and the team publicly recognized it as a mistake that they had hired an inexperienced GM. Yet, they seemed to forget their mistake and they repeated it again with Dubas and now here we are.

Reactions: killer1980

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
They had a multi-year audition for him with the Marlies...

Why does everyone pretend like he was his best friend who had no hockey experience?
Nah. Doesnt work that way. This is a billion dollar organization which you arent realizing. I believe in process. They did not interview anyone else. Ask yourself this - If you were going to build a house, would you only get 1 contractor's quote? OR would you get maybe 2-3 so you can compare costs and get a better feel for the person executing your vison? Same thing applies here.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Nah. Doesnt work that way. This is a billion dollar organization which you arent realizing. I believe in process. They did not interview anyone else. Ask yourself this - If you were going to build a house, would you only get 1 contractor's quote? OR would you get maybe 2-3 so you can compare costs and get a better feel for the person execution your vison? Same thing applies here.

It starts with Shanahan though...he essentially gave the GM job to Dubas, so Dubas was doing the same with Keefe.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nah. Doesnt work that way. This is a billion dollar organization which you arent realizing. I believe in process. They did not interview anyone else. Ask yourself this - If you were going to build a house, would you only get 1 contractor's quote? OR would you get maybe 2-3 so you can compare costs and get a better feel for the person executing your vison? Same thing applies here.
Stellick, JFJ, Dubas - what could go wrong?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

So weird that he says "shocked the hockey world."

Who was shocked Keefe got fired? Strange choice of words.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I mean they know who all the candidates are, and what they have done in their coaching careers. How long of a process does it really need to be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad