Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What are you talking about?

First of all, the Leafs finished a full 13 points ahead of the Bolts, but on top of that, Hedman played the series with his hip all screwed up, Erik Cernak missed most of the series with a conclusion, Brayden Point was playing with broken ribs and Jeannot had a high ankle sprain.

The Lightning were prime for the plucking and the Leafs did the job. How did you arrive at the conclusion that the Leafs shouldn't have won that series?

based on being outplayed

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Don’t just look at the available coaches. Flex your financial muscle and poach a coach away from a team. There’s no salary cap on coaches, hire the best coach possible.
this is exactly what they should be doing and if they arent, they are fkin morons

TAMPER WITH JON COOPER'S AGENT PLEASE

• Haha
Reactions: ITM

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I think he'll play out the year here and if it's reasonable they'll work out an extension.
It is certainly looking that way. Did you hear what Elliott Friedman and Chris Johnston had to say about it? And do you think they have reliable sources?

Reactions: ACC1224

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Wasn't part of the reason ROR left because of the media? He didn't want the attention?

Wasn't Schenn open to re-signing but we brought in Klingberg at double his hit?

Might be wrong... that was my recollection.
Between 2018-2023 Schenn was signed for between $700K and $850K a season. Won a couple cups.
THEN Nashville offers him $2.75 x 3 at 34 years old out of the blue. Call it the Toronto tax...

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The play that pissed me off the most about Marner was when he had the chance to hit the breaks and put the puck into a wide open net and he chose to skate the puck around the net into a group of 3 bruin players. This might be different had he done that.
It was the play I was envisioning as I typed that. But, there were many more.

At the end of the day, if he, as one of the teams leaders and best players, is not willing to do whatever it takes, it really does not matter who the coach is.

It is certainly looking that way. Did you hear what Elliott Friedman and Chris Johnston had to say about it? And do you think they have reliable sources?
They both more or less said the same thing.

Ask him if he is interested in moving now. But, let him know there is no extension offer.

If we run back the same core, we deserve to be the laughing stock of the league.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Between 2018-2023 Schenn was signed for between $700K and $850K a season. Won a couple cups.
THEN Nashville offers him $2.75 x 3 at 34 years old out of the blue. Call it the Toronto tax...

I don't disagree at all, I think he would be a risk to sign at anything above 2 million with any term, just the original statement said he wasn't willing to sign.

Fine passing on him, just not sure that the narrative some people put out about Schenn and ROR is true.

Reactions: The Iceman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The play that pissed me off the most about Marner was when he had the chance to hit the breaks and put the puck into a wide open net and he chose to skate the puck around the net into a group of 3 bruin players. This might be different had he done that.
What about the play against the Bruins where instead of shooting he skated around the Bruins net, past the opposite corner and proceeded to sprain his ankle attempting a double lutz?

Reactions: Al14 and Kazparov

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The issue with Gallant for me is that he seems to get figured out after a year or two and then his teams quit on him.
Apparently he admitted he lets the assistants handle the system and tactical stuff. He only focuses on motivation. Yeah no thanks.
It's shocking that even McLellan is being mentioned as a candidate. For people who were done with Keefe, when they see McLellan, we would start seeing "I miss Keefe" comments pretty soon.

To describe McLellan, he is basically taking the positives of Keefe, and multiplying the negatives by like 10

Reactions: CincoHolio

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Nope, what did they say?
They said that the Marner camp would be open to discussing a possible trade, and that he would have been okay if they had traded him last year. One big problem is that Marner has struggled when talking to reporters (he immediately puts up a wall with them because he feels they are blaming him/core for all the playoff failures)).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They said that the Marner camp would be open to discussing a possible trade, and that he would have been okay if they had traded him last year. One big problem is that Marner has struggled when talking to reporters (he immediately puts up a wall with them because he feels they are blaming him/core for all the playoff failures)).
I don't believe that they would know that.

Reactions: Kazparov

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Apparently he admitted he lets the assistants handle the system and tactical stuff. He only focuses on motivation. Yeah no thanks.
It's shocking that even McLellan is being mentioned as a candidate. For people who were done with Keefe, when they see McLellan, we would start seeing "I miss Keefe" comments pretty soon.

To describe McLellan, he is basically taking the positives of Keefe, and multiplying the negatives by like 10
I do NOT want McLellan anywhere near this team. The guy is the epitome of choking, he couldn't get very talented Sharks teams over the hump and choked year after year, including the mother of all chokes where they blew a 3-0 lead to LA. Only after Deboer came in did they finally go deep, though still fell short. He did f*** all with Edmonton and also stunk up the joint in LA. Dude is a certified loser. I would even hire Mike Keenan before McLellan.

Speaking of Deboer, wish we had hired him when he was available in 2022. Been to the Cup finals with NJ and SJ plus two conference finals with Vegas and Dallas. He's also 8-0 in game 7s, basically the anti-Leafs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think he finds a new job before the Leafs hire a new coach.
TSN reports that the Devils will most likely speak to Keefe as well. If they don’t get Berube they still need a coach. Might be at the same time, or close.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Needed to happen and I'm not sure he had much to do with it really. Coaches only go as far as their goalies will take them IMO.

On that note, I hope we dont go for a guy like Berube.

Dean Evason would be my choice.

The team still needs a reliable goalie though.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I'd like to know more about Berube as a tactician. I get that he's a hardass with a protruding brow. Accountability is nice, but we also need to be a more sustainably dynamic offensive threat.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
question, what has Berube been doing since he got fired? why wasn't he hired before that? cause of contract? just curious...

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I don't believe that they would know that.

His literal first words to the likelihood of trading Mitch Marner: "well, quite frankly, I don't think it's that likely." It starts at 6:30.

Reactions: Brobust

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Get rid of Shanahan, then get rid of half the core……..

^^
I don't care how much worse on paper we might be. Build hard working team culture like they have in Boston around Matthews and Nylander. We'll be a true contender.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think anyone can really debate anymore that it hasn't been a complete failure with the core 4.

I don't know if just a new coach can do anything except maybe win 1 round.

Having Nylander and Matthews locked up longer term at 11+ leaves Marner and Tavares out of the equation pretty much if they want to seriously make some changes.
I would hope that a new coach can at least do something about the special teams, not sure what else. I do hope they want to make some changes, if they extend Marner for another 7/8 years I'm going to be very unhappy to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad