Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Does it make you angry that he never did it here in 5 seasons or for some other reason?

The same people that are happy that Keefe is gone because he didn't get results wanted us to keep Hyman even though he didn't get results.
We asked Hyman to be the puck retriever for matthews and marner which he couldn’t do to his size
Edmonton has him going to the net what he does well and wait for the puck in the dirty area

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Winning the Tampa series when we shouldn't have was payback for losing the year prior when we should have won.

I hate that no one gives credit to the win.
why cuz the Justin Holl pick? lol
Even if we give him credit for 1 series win. His record is still dog shyt

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
why cuz the Justin Holl pick? lol
Even if we give him credit for 1 series win. His record is still dog shyt

What are you talking about?

We asked Hyman to be the puck retriever for matthews and marner which he couldn’t do to his size
Edmonton has him going to the net what he does well and wait for the puck in the dirty area

He has a lot of hits for standing in front of the net

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Florida is built almost the exact opposite as the Leafs. Great goalie, great group of d-men, and a forward group where every single one of them plays a playoff brand of hockey

Anyone who watched last night's game would have found out how to respond to a bad loss
Game 4 at home we came out total flat. No energy after losing game 3

We have skilled players play tough, they have tough players who can play skilled game

Reactions: JKG33

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Many people on this very board had early concerns after what they saw in the CBJ play-in series.

GTFO and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Waiving Big Mac for Sparks only to kick the known hot head off the team a week before that series....

My favorite Dubas/Keefe memory 😆
How can you look at Florida and then our roster that this is fine and think that all we need to do is add more Bertuzzis and Domis again? I don’t get it.
We need to stop pretending Reily is a top pairing damn and get a legit shut down guy. And another guy on the back end that's has a shot that's respected. Main reason our PP is trash. Nobody fears the muffins from the blue line

We need a goalie cause Woll is made of glass.

Marner and Tavares cap gives us more than enough to make that happen

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
re-read. the team got out played and outcoached by a team raddled with injuries.

They didn't, but alright. Whatever works for you, re-write history.

First series against Tampa, they outplayed Tampa and lost, the next they got outplayed and won.

Reactions: Kazparov

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah that's fair. But I think it's also true that team stopped playing for Babs or he would have been around for a bit longer at least. And yeah Keefe had a nice long term here as it is but still, I think he made some mistakes but overall, I'd say Keefe still did a better job coaching than the players did playing.
I don't think anyone can really debate anymore that it hasn't been a complete failure with the core 4.

I don't know if just a new coach can do anything except maybe win 1 round.

Having Nylander and Matthews locked up longer term at 11+ leaves Marner and Tavares out of the equation pretty much if they want to seriously make some changes.

Reactions: yubbers

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Screenshot-2024-05-09-140010.png

-250 big odds

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Also, he has almost identical numbers in hits/takeaways from Toronto to Edmonton.

Assuming those would be the most relevant stats to prove that he went from a guy who forechecks hard and gets the puck out to mostly a netfront presence.

I think it is just more likely that McDavid opens up more space and it allows him to find the space easier.

Not sure his style changed.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

First series against Tampa, they outplayed Tampa and lost, the next they got outplayed and won.
yes they did lol. they got out played in that series go re-watch. for once sammy won a few games

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

People give credit where credit is due, but also criticize when it’s warranted. I don’t know if anyone is being unfair here. Some people prefer to not hold anyone accountable at all.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
People give credit where credit is due, but also criticize when it’s warranted. I don’t know if anyone is being unfair here. Some people prefer to not hold anyone accountable at all.

All I am saying is that in 2023, the Leafs deserved to lose but won.

And in 2022 they deserved to win but lost.

I thought this was universally agreed upon.

I just find it weird to say "they were outplayed/outcoached every series, even the one they won" and then ignore any time they've outplayed the opposition.

Reactions: Kazparov

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
You do realize Berube took over in late November right? You do realize the Blues struggled when he was hired as interim manager on November 18 2018 to Christmas which was my point. When the calendar year turned to 2019 their record was 15-18-4. Granted they finished off the year 30-10-5 and he became the first interim coach to win a cup. By 2022-23 his record was 37-38-7 and he was fired the year after with a record of 13-14-1. Not a long run of success.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Waiving Big Mac for Sparks only to kick the known hot head off the team a week before that series....

My favorite Dubas/Keefe memory 😆
We need to stop pretending Reily is a top pairing damn and get a legit shut down guy. And another guy on the back end that's has a shot that's respected. Main reason our PP is trash. Nobody fears the muffins from the blue line

We need a goalie cause Woll is made of glass.

Marner and Tavares cap gives us more than enough to make that happen
You could get Tanev, Zadorov and resign Edmunson with Brodie, and one of JT/Marner gone.

Tanev could play with Rielly 5v5, and Zadorov has a cannon on the PP.

They could run 3 and 2 on the PP.

Rielly is good at keeping the puck in the zone. He can tee up Zadorov all day, or if the play high against him, feed it across to Matthews.

If they really decided to make huge changes, they could open up 40+ million in capspace

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
As others have stated, Keefe was a likeable coach that had some success during his tenure but the time had come for a change based on his overall post season record.

I wish him the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad