Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I agree with this, in theory, it is a great idea to ask the players what they think of the coach, but in reality, those boys can't handle it.
Afterall, there is no way they(medias and players) think Keefe is safe. None of them said anything about Keefe, all they said was MM this and MM that.
From what I recall, only Nylander was asked about Keefe - and he gave a fairly straightforward answer about going back with Keefe to his time with the Marlies.

Reactions: Gabriel426

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I'm just not sure Berube should be the guy. His track record isn't great, and even in his Stanley Cup winning year, the Blues were a wreck before Christmas. They also had an outstanding Pietrangelo anchoring that blue line. I do like the fact he appears to be a hard liner and won't accept anything less than full effort most nights. I think they should take their time and see if Brind'Amour becomes available.
Weren't the Blues a wreck before Berube took over HC?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Keefe is not a bad coach like some people like to consider him but NHL is a league of result and lack of playoff result make him lost his job.

For me, for new coach i would go with Guy Boucher or Mike Sullivan

• Wow
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
From what I recall, only Nylander was asked about Keefe - and he gave a fairly straightforward answer about going back with Keefe to his time with the Marlies.
I didn’t think Nylander gave him much of endorsement there to be honest.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's odd that Shanahan was willing to pivot from Lou and Babcock so quickly, but so stubborn with Dubas and Keefe. I guess he took his own words too seriously when he talked about Toronto sticking to a plan.

I wish he followed the first plan a little longer and we probably would have had much better contracts for Matthews and Marner.
Let's remember that he wanted to bring Dubas back, and it was only once he realized that Dubas was willing to move on from the highly marketable core / had interest elsewhere, that he filled his diaper and decided to act.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It's odd that Shanahan was willing to pivot from Lou and Babcock so quickly, but so stubborn with Dubas and Keefe. I guess he took his own words too seriously when he talked about Toronto sticking to a plan.

I wish he followed the first plan a little longer and we probably would have had much better contracts for Matthews and Marner.
Much better contracts and maybe a better shot of raising them as pros the right way.

Although based on Marner/his dad in juniors, and Matthews f***ing off to Europe his draft year, I think they already were at 17 exactly who they're gunna be

Thank you. I see my efforts to pretend that guy doesn't exist have been working lol
Yea it kinda sucks they have him attached at the hip to Friedman. Basically all of Friedman's content has Marek right there

Reactions: Jmo89 and wingman75

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He didn't. He was just left with perpetual failure if goalies Dubas was known for. We beat Boston with a goalie that has an above .9 save % 😆

He qualified Sammy... but anyway, this is about Keefe, you're just wrong.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Considering I've been right about everything since the moment they fired Dubas.. You might want to rethink that :)

Could've save you 7 years of pain. Lol
It’s been scary just how deluded Leaf mgmt has been, I swear my dead grandmother knows more about hockey than these clowns…….

Reactions: yubbers

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Come on, Jason’s more than happy being Boy Wonder’s bitch………
Can someone explain quick how to block this "never grew up" crap. I don't go to the cafeteria to talk hockey. I don't need the cafeteria to come to me.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
A new driver given the keys to a 700 hp sports car.

Who could possibly have known it would go badly?

I wish him well but I don’t feel sorry for him.

He was gifted a job he never should have gotten, and he kept it 3 years longer than he should have.

He will land on his feet and he’s made an ass load of money. In the interim, he was always the lesser coach when he needed to be the superior one.

Everything related to Keefe is a bad look on MLSE, Shanahan, and Dubas.
Nailed my sentiments exactly.

Reactions: LeafSteel

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I once again wish Toronto delayed the locker room cleanout till like Tuesday/Wednesday and had fired Keefe prior to that and he released that video.

Would have been nice to watch the players squirm on being asked getting a coach fired because they didn't get it done again.

I'm genuinely curious, do people think that putting more pressure on the team and treating them worse will lead to more success?

Also, do people think free agents will want to come here more if we treat our current players worse?

I see no benefit to making our current players uncomfortable.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I really hope they take a long look at Gallant and don’t just knee jerk all the hype around Berube. Gallant for me is a superior coach, his teams are really structured and disciplined, he’s exactly what we need imo.
The issue with Gallant for me is that he seems to get figured out after a year or two and then his teams quit on him.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
My bad - The Jeff Marek Show - I normally quickhand the title so I can go straight into summarizing, and then try and go back to make those fixes.
Yup, as you were. That was on me. Appreciate the info you bring here.

Reactions: Tak7

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The issue with Gallant for me is that he seems to get figured out after a year or two and then his teams quit on him.
I’m fine with that actually, and frankly I don’t see how a Berube is any different there. His teams play like anonymous soldiers in an army, exactly what we need here. What he’s done with little true talent, it’s always impressed me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bust and Jmo89

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I really hope they take a long look at Gallant and don’t just knee jerk all the hype around Berube. Gallant for me is a superior coach, his teams are really structured and disciplined, he’s exactly what we need imo.
I've long been on the Berube train but I'd take Gallant over him for sure. Never won a cup but his rosters typically overachieve. Problem is he has a short shelf life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad