Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Tbh I’m reading way too much hate on keefe and it does make some sense, but I hope this doesn’t get away from the real point of what has happened

The core has failed spectacularly. Keefe failed at adjusting, but the core 4 were f***ing awful in the normal positions they were put in. Matthews has been a fraud come playoffs almost every single time, dude plays one game like a star and the rest like a second liner. Marner does the same without that one game. Nylander never shows up for an entire series, and Tavares is just a fraud. We could have a f***ing Eakins behind the bench and the talent on this core should still score more than 2 goals a game

Keefe is not enough, one maybe two of the core have to go, it’s obvious which ones but they might not want to waive. Then play pretend one more year and say goodbye mitch and John, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Agreed. Keefe may be the fall guy for the failed results by the players on the ice, and quite frankly, at this point, he should be. But hopefully this move signals the first of many of overhauling this team.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
why do people like you still insist on bringing up Dubas all the time? Who cares. He isn’t even here anymore. We let keefe go. You aren’t going to find many who disagree with the decision round these parts.

I think most of us have agreed for a while it probably was necessary
Because he ruined this team. And keefe was him hiring his friend that's not an caliber coach.

We finally get to move on after 8 long years

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Spezza should've realized he didn't have to latch himself to Dubas. He would've easily endeared himself with Leafs ownership and fans without Dubas. Now he is attached at the hip of Dubas and will struggle to get out from under him.
Come on, Jason’s more than happy being Boy Wonder’s bitch………

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
why do people like you still insist on bringing up Dubas all the time? Who cares. He isn’t even here anymore. We let keefe go. You aren’t going to find many who disagree with the decision round these parts.

I think most of us have agreed for a while it probably was necessary
Dubas is also why Brad was left with a goalie shit show. I don't think they're been a gm ever that f***ed up goaltending so bad. And he instantly continued that tradition in Pittsburgh

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
One of the classiest departures I think I've seen in quite a while. Wishing well with the next step for him, whatever it is

I appreciate his works in Toronto. Of course everyone knew the writing was on the wall, including himself.

Looking back, I think he had to adapt to a style (playoff defensive style) of hockey that is not his strong suite, and while he did well enough in doing that, he couldn't make the team score, and the team lost their offensive identity along the way. At the same time, the team was never set up to win this way (underpaid goalie, defence, depth).

He's also probably grateful for the extension he got (and the financial security for the next few years ... think he'll still get paid after the firing). The extension, I think, at least helped getting Matthews extended (not sure if he'd be as willing to sign one if the incoming coach is hard on the players).

Anyway best wishes to him too. I'm sure many teams will go after Keefe to be their coach given his regular season record.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Friedman on TJMS

• Not hugely surprised by the news, or the timeline. Not Treliving's way to act quickly. Prefers to take his time. They wanted the coaching situation cleared up before Friday's media.
  • Thinks Keefe is a better coach than the market believes. Thought regular season was best coaching job he's done given all the injuries, but nobody wants to hear that right now.
  • Expects to see Kelley, Treliving, and Shanahan all talking tomorrow. Gets the impression Shanahan is staying, at least for another year. Has 1 more year on his contract, and expects Toronto to honor it.
  • Said yesterday was a big day of meetings. Heard it was very important for Pelley to be there for meetings yesterday. Says Pelley has been heavily involved - heard he's been to a few Marlies games.
  • Keefe just released video saying he's going to take a bit of a break. Liked the video. Most coaches want to get right back into it, because it's in their blood. There's also an eagerness to get back into the mix to show they weren't the problem, and be successful somewhere else. Some are very curious if Keefe wants another high profile job, or a low profile job - mentions Winnipeg.
On life after Keefe:
  • Thinks a lot of speculation will go around Craig Berube - thinks he fits the way Treliving thinks about hockey, but it's not Treliving's way to just hand the job to someone. Expects that there will be a process, and talk to Berube but also Todd McClellan and Jay Woodcroft.
  • If he was wagering, Berube would be top of the list. Treliving doesn't like rushing into a decision until forced to - thinks New Jersey job is highly coveted job and Berube is heavily linked to that job.
  • Thinks Treliving wants to do interviews with others, but could also come down to who he thinks he might lose out on if he doesn't act quickly.
  • Repeats that Craig Berube has lots of attention / interest on him - thinks teams know whether he's interested or not.
  • Gets the sense that in Jersey, some like him but some don't. Feels like he was the clear candidate, Berube to Devils would already be done.
Thanks for this! I have to ask, what is TJMS?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don’t get why people act like having a rookie GM or coach is an issue. How else do people get their starts. Jon Cooper was once a rookie coach hired within, same with Julien Brisebois, a rookie GM who was AGM.

Being a bad GM is being a bad GM and clearly that was what Kyle was or is, it has nothing to do with being a rookie because at some point all of the GM’s were a rookie and got their opportunity by being promoted.

I didn’t know Keefe was out there playing
Lot of GMs works their way up and get significant time in the NHL before getting the big job. Dubie ran an OHL team , spent a bit of time under Lou then made GM.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I once again wish Toronto delayed the locker room cleanout till like Tuesday/Wednesday and had fired Keefe prior to that and he released that video.

Would have been nice to watch the players squirm on being asked getting a coach fired because they didn't get it done again.
I agree completely.

Bluntly: 'this is the 3rd person whose job you've cost. Thoughts?"

Knowing this media though, and the sorts of embarrassing questions asked on Monday, I highly doubt anyone would be willing to ask anything that makes anyone remotely uncomfortable or building up of a sweat

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Keefe’s a good guy. I think the fire he was showing towards the end of the season will serve him well in the future. He was always more convincing speaking from the heart than when giving those corporate PR friendly comments.
Thats the thing, he is a great guy but should the coach be a great/nice guy?
Does the players respect him and listen to him?
Lets say they do and they certainly can't play the way Keefe wants consistently, then Keefe failed to structure the team in a way that the players will be at their strengths and the team win more than loses.
WE can blame goaltending and dmen all we want but how come the guys couldn't score in the playoffs?
It is a lot of little things that we would assume guys that been in the league for 8 yrs should be doing as routine instead of some special great thing.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Teams with unlimited coaching budgets that drafted a couple generational talents don't take stupid gambles like that

Good ones that is. Get your start on Seattle. Lol

That's like a company hiring a dude straight outta college to be the CEO. Dumb

So Tampa didn’t do that?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Because he ruined this team. And keefe was him hiring his friend that's not an caliber coach.

We finally get to move on after 8 long years

Keefe had success at the AHL level and probably should have started in the NHL as an assistant coach.

In either case, he’s only coached the Leafs for less than 5 years.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Too much hype on Berube. In a results driven sport he hasn’t faired well except ONe cup which is a great feat. I think the hype is a lot because played here for a year. I think he will probably end up with the job though. Just not my pick.

Reactions: DarkKnight

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Keefe’s a good guy. I think the fire he was showing towards the end of the season will serve him well in the future. He was always more convincing speaking from the heart than when giving those corporate PR friendly comments.
He's gonna be really good for whichever team hires him next IMO. A shame that we had another guy 'learn on the job' when we needed a closer, but it is what it is. Best of luck to him, he tried his best.

Reactions: Jmo89

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree completely.

Bluntly: 'this is the 3rd person whose job you've cost. Thoughts?"

Knowing this media though, and the sorts of embarrassing questions asked on Monday, I highly doubt anyone would be willing to ask anything that makes anyone remotely uncomfortable or building up of a sweat
I agree with this, in theory, it is a great idea to ask the players what they think of the coach, but in reality, those boys can't handle it.
Afterall, there is no way they(medias and players) think Keefe is safe. None of them said anything about Keefe, all they said was MM this and MM that.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
There was logic surrounding synergy & familiarity when the hire was made.

The mistake wasn't necessarily the hire, but how long they stuck with it - hindsight is 2021, given how the Montreal series went.

It's odd that Shanahan was willing to pivot from Lou and Babcock so quickly, but so stubborn with Dubas and Keefe. I guess he took his own words too seriously when he talked about Toronto sticking to a plan.

I wish he followed the first plan a little longer and we probably would have had much better contracts for Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: QJo and JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad