Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If Berube isn't for you -- there are 3 other options I think. Todd Nelson (fantastic AHL record and veteran), Jay Woodcroft (made it further than Keefe ever did and lost to the cup winners twice) and Gerard Gallant (demanding, hectic but solid results).
They are probably more likely than the guys I'd go for.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I could actually see the opposite, a coach saying they want a chance to work with marner.
It's interesting because I think the majority of coaches and GMs in this league would agree with this. Last year LeBrun talked to a bunch of anonymous GMs and the majority believed that the team is close, you do stay the course, and you try to change on the peripheral. We have over 18 million in cap space this year, 11 million more coming off the books from Tavares next year (51 million total at this moment), that's actually not that much of a cap crunch and grants a lot of flexibility.

It's very easy to see coaches and/or executives looking at this and saying "well, we use that 18.5 wisely this year, maybe catch lightning in a bottle because this is a good team, and then we have a ton of flexibility next year even after locking up Marner, I like the look of that."

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don't agree.

Mitch is not good with controversy and pressure.
Why not go to an up and coming team and be the hero?
Because nothing he has said at any point points to that idea. He just said in his end of season presser that he wants to be here.

I know a lot of people want him gone but he holds all the cards.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's your problem. This isn't daycare

You need assholes leading you into war
Babcock is another level of asshole where he doesn't know how to connect with people on a human level and will burn bridges over his own ego. He was hated by the Red Wings, he was hated by the Leafs and he couldn't even make it to training camp before pissing off guys on the Blue Jackets.

There's being a hardass and then there's just being a shit person with a lack of basic respect / boundaries, the latter being what he seemed to exude the last few years. Torts is an example of a guy who is a hardass but his players will go the extra mile for him.

Reactions: WillNy29 and Mr_Fun

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I don't agree.

Mitch is not good with controversy and pressure.
Why not go to an up and coming team and be the hero?
Probably because Marner wants the spotlight on him with big market teams. He wants the money and glory. And that comes from teams willing to spend on giant contracts.

He could do the Johnny Gaudreau root and bail to Columbus as now a forgotten 60-70 pt player nobody talks about anymore. But I dont see Marner being that kind of player. Heck, the guy thinks he's a god in Toronto.

Reactions: KaberLeaf

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sabre fans hated Todd Nelson. Said hes not a coach for a team trying to take next step (theres is making playoffs vs ours being an actual contender)

Woodcroft is promising but hes also pretty fresh and hasnt shown to be able to coach when offensive elite plsyers have cold slumps

Gallant is like Berube for me. Alright option but not going to make a major difference

Quenville is only major coach I can think who makes a difference. His padt though makes him unlikely to be a target for us

I don't think Todd Nelson ever coached the Sabres? As far as I know, he only had a small stint as an interim coach with the Oilers after they fired Eakins. He was the replaced by McLellan and he went on to coach the AHL Griffins. He's been an NHL assistant coach for the Thrashers and Stars. Every other year he's been an AHL head coach, winning the calder cup twice.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Samsonov did not necessarily have to be the starter in any game of that playoff series other than the deciding one. I'd still unfortunately maintain that a lack of offence was the biggest detriment to the team's inability to win and advance. Can a coaching change coax something more out of the players in that regard?
They all got sick and Samsonov took them down 1 to 3. When all 3 stars are out at some pt or not 100 per cent you get less goals. What happens if Swayman is our goalie and they have Samsonov? We win easily.

Reactions: Buds17

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
It sounded like Jersey was talking to Berube as well (and Woodcroft).

If the Leafs want Berube, they better hurry.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Tre: Hey Mitch we have a trade lined up with Seattle.

Marner: Hahaha No

Pretty much how that would go.
Tre: Hey Mitch. We want to try some new guys out on the PP/PK and 1st/2nd line RW. As a result, we may need to cut back on your ice time a bit. Are you happy with that and if not, where do you want to go?

Marner: I'm a God here, but I'll run it by my dad.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
That would be tampering
shaquille-o-neal-licking-lips-nmr9s17ixkpi803w.gif

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Babcock is another level of asshole where he doesn't know how to connect with people on a human level and will burn bridges over his own ego. He was hated by the Red Wings, he was hated by the Leafs and he couldn't even make it to training camp before pissing off guys on the Blue Jackets.

There's being a hardass and t ishen there's just being a shit person with a lack of basic respect / boundaries, the latter being what he seemed to exude the last few years. Torts is an example of a guy who is a hardass but his players will go the extra mile for him.
And that asshole has far more success than keefe who was handed a golden goose and turned it into straw.

I don't give a f*** how nice a coach is. Lol

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't think Todd Nelson ever coached the Sabres? As far as I know, he only had a small stint as an interim coach with the Oilers after they fired Eakins. He's been an assistant coach for the Thrashers and Stars. Every other year he's been an AHL head coach, winning the calder cup twice.
Whoops haha ignore that

Confused him with Don Granato

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

There's being a hardass and then there's just being a shit person with a lack of basic respect / boundaries, the latter being what he seemed to exude the last few years. Torts is an example of a guy who is a hardass but his players will go the extra mile for him.
The best the Leafs ever looked was that first year against Washington. The sky looked the limit and everyone gave it their all. We dont care if rich players hate their coach anymore.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
And that asshole has far more success than keefe who was handed a golden goose and turned it into straw.

I don't give a f*** how nice a coach is. Lol
Babcock couldn't take us beyond round 1 either. Also I don't want some 60 year old creep asking to look into my phone and see my photos, but that's just me.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
1st question any good head coach is going to ask is, what happens if I say our best players need to play like our best players?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Tre: Hey Mitch. We want to try some new guys out on the PP/PK and 1st/2nd line RW. As a result, we may need to cut back on your ice time a bit. Are you happy with that and if not, where do you want to go?

Marner: I'm a God here, but I'll run it by my dad.
You may get him to accept a trade. But it isn’t going to be to an expansion team that just missed the playoffs.

Also it’s a pretty empty threat. Him and the team around him know they aren’t really going to move him off special teams and out of the top 6.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The best the Leafs ever looked was that first year against Washington. The sky looked the limit and everyone gave it their all. We dont care if rich players hate their coach anymore.
I bet Bowman wasnt very nice when he won all those cups. All we talk about is how we need to spoil and coddle these players and all we get is excuses. If this was a real job some players would be getting fired not just Keefe.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Safe space culture literally wasted our AM years. Lol
Babcock couldn't take us beyond round 1 either. Also I don't want some 60 year old creep asking to look into my phone and see my photos, but that's just me.
Babcock achieved what Keefe did with a rookie am. Then Dubas and keefe managed to miss the playoffs. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad