Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wouldn't say they failed, but I think the Dubas and Keefe era must be the most underachieving one in franchise history. One series win with all the talent at their disposal in their prime is unacceptable.
With how they wasted all the talent in the world and caved to their every demand, this is quite honestly all around one of the most underachieving groups in NHL history

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Berube isn't for you -- there are 3 other options I think. Todd Nelson (fantastic AHL record and veteran), Jay Woodcroft (made it further than Keefe ever did and lost to the cup winners twice) and Gerard Gallant (demanding, hectic but solid results).

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If I'm a coaching candidate in my interview I'm asking what the team's plans are for Marner. If they say they're extending him, I'm out.

Even after Tavares comes off the books next year - and I'm verifying that he's not getting extended too - $22M+ for two wingers isn't going to work even if Jesus H. Scotty Bowman himself is behind the bench.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Samsonov allowed one regulation goal in game 7. Look at some of the goals that were allowed just last night. Difference was that their offenses could actually score more than one or two goals to compensate.
Again, we have always used the we need to score more when we negelected that backend. How many teams would start Samsonov in round one now? What if Swayman was our gaolie and Boston had Samsonov?

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I like Keefe, and I actually think he is a decent coach. But as others have said, its time. The NHL, more so than any other league it seems, gives coaches a short life-line. I'm not 100% sure why, but sometimes a team responds to...not always a better coach but simply a coaching change.

I'm not sure whoever the bring in will be better than Keefe, or even a better fit than him for this team, but at this point a change is due.

Reactions: The Iceman

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If I'm a coaching candidate in my interview I'm asking what the team's plans are for Marner. If they say they're extending him, I'm out.

Even after Tavares comes off the books next year - and I'm verifying that he's not getting extended too - $22M+ for two wingers isn't going to work even if Jesus H. Scotty Bowman himself is behind the bench.
If Bowman ran the Leafs Marner isnt even here anymore and Tavares aint Captain.

Reactions: Al14

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020

I could actually see the opposite, a coach saying they want a chance to work with marner.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
"He won't rush a hire... but he won't wait either" what the hell does that mean

I take this to mean there is discussions with the league around quennville’s availability. He is the “right person for the job”

But they won’t hang their hat on that if Bettman tells Toronto no, and they will move on to plan b

It’s not rushed because they already know who the right person is. But they won’t wait if they can’t get him and have a second option in mind

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Dubas is that you? Let me guess, NMC/NTC too?
Nah that's not a Dubas move, Cooper's actually won something and doesn't have a SOO connection. Dubas is allergic to those types

If Berube isn't for you -- there are 3 other options I think. Todd Nelson (fantastic AHL record and veteran), Jay Woodcroft (made it further than Keefe ever did and lost to the cup winners twice) and Gerard Gallant (demanding, hectic but solid results).
Those first 2 would be absolutely shit options

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Gallant for me short term. 3 years of tyranny that hopefully puts them over the top.

Reactions: bax and The Iceman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Five wasted years of Dubas and Keefe. Who could have seen that coming?

The master of the Shanaplan needs to be be held accountable for his incompetance. I wonder if the moron phones the core and tells them they are safe. #Embarassing.
I hope the architect of this mess is next on the chopping block.........

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Keefe was kept on as the scapegoat but he took 3 years on his contract to cushion that blow. He knew its a win or die situation. Tre shouldnt rush into the next coach unless he has this guy on his radar till now. If you give them Samsonov as your number one G most coaches lose in the East. This is a different team with a good reliable goalie and would have won that series.
Samsonov did not necessarily have to be the starter in any game of that playoff series other than the deciding one. I'd still unfortunately maintain that a lack of offence was the biggest detriment to the team's inability to win and advance. Can a coaching change coax something more out of the players in that regard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad