Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I also thought that if he takes a lower paying job, the Leafs are on the hook to pay the difference.

So say he made what 1.5 with the leafs, and sighs with PIT for 1... the Leafs own him 500k for the length of his Leafs contract.

I could be making that all up 🤣
I think technically since he's under contract that he's been fired from Coaching but still an employee. If he takes another gig, the Leafs are off the hook.
Pretty sure that's why Babcock waited so long to get back in the game.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Something had to change in the face of regression and this sort of move is always among the easiest to make (which isn't intended to suggest that the firing of Keefe occurred without justification).
Keefe was kept on as the scapegoat but he took 3 years on his contract to cushion that blow. He knew its a win or die situation. Tre shouldnt rush into the next coach unless he has this guy on his radar till now. If you give them Samsonov as your number one G most coaches lose in the East. This is a different team with a good reliable goalie and would have won that series.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Berube seems like a defacto lock given all the instant rumors all of which keep mentioning his name

That said I am a bit surprised that Sullivan isn't getting as much attention. He strikes me as a better fit for the Leafs main guys.

Though Berube definitely has the tone/attitude that a lot of fans want, and seems more like a 'Tre guy'

Edit: thought he was already fired, still just s potential rumor

Last edited:
Reactions: bax and ACC1224

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This organization is always years late on their moves. Keefe should have been fired after the Montreal series, but they are several years late on this firing.

Now the next "assessment" the clowns in upper management are gonna come to is that the core "needs" another chance with another coach. If we fired Keefe when we should have, this "chance" should have already happened. If that does end up happening, my interest in next season is almost already cooked.
This organization is always a day late and a dollar short

• Haha
Reactions: Beau Knows

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Would he take Mitch with him for Shane Wright and Will Borgen?
Tre: Hey Mitch we have a trade lined up with Seattle.

Marner: Hahaha No

Pretty much how that would go.
Some of you need to set your expectations much lower. If Marner accepts a trade at all it isn’t going to be to anything but a very short list of contenders.
Those teams won’t offer much because they know we have no leverage and we probably have to eat salary or take back bad contracts just to make it work logistically.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
wonder if this guy gets an interview, thats one intense individual lol
deaner.jpg

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Berube seems like a defacto lock given all the instant rumors all of which keep mentioning his name

That said I am a bit surprised that Sullivan isn't getting as much attention. He strikes me as a better fit for the Leafs main guys.

Though Berube definitely has the tone/attitude that a lot of fans want, and seems more like a 'Tre guy'
For some reason I don't think Sullivan and tre see the game the same way.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

Crosby would strangle that sqaure dubas if he fired Sullivan

• Haha
Reactions: 3blizzard4

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I read Sullivan is protected by PSG/Owners of the Pens right now. They love him and Dubas probably is fine with keeping him. He would 100% be a better fit but you can't hire someone not available.

Berube is gonna be the guy for sure. Randy Carlyle vibes with this one.

Reactions: Atomos2 and ToneDog

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don’t get all the people not wanting Berube honestly. I haven’t heard a good argument against him yet.
This is Toronto, if you can find better do so. Is Berube the best we can do? The argument is why is he any better than Keefe? Can we get someone like a Cooper?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Sounds like they are bringing the core 4 back to try out with a new coach.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I'd love Quenneville, I think he's just what this team needs in a coach. Plus he was drafted by and played for the Leafs. He knows Toronto and what the Leafs mean to the city.

Just not sure if the league would "reinstate" him, or if this is the best market for him given the Blackhawks' scandal. The media would make sure that followed him around everywhere.

Not completely sold on Berube, but he might be one of the best option right now.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Nobody said that Fenway Sports is letting Sully go.

Reactions: Menzinger

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario

He is under contract with the Pens for three more years

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Whoever they get, I hope they'll commit to getting a real puck-moving dman or two and going back to a speed and possession game, those defensive showdowns were unwatchable. Morgan Rielly and a crew of defensive dmen doesn't cut it.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I don’t get all the people not wanting Berube honestly. I haven’t heard a good argument against him yet.
I'd say the biggest pointers against Berube are two things:

1. His STL cup run was due to Binnington. Starting the year after the cup, Binnington came back down to reality and so did STL.

2. He's a tough yelling coach. Will the Leaf players listen, be scared shitless, or not give a shit. Leafs players have had long stretches of both a tough Babcock and a mor chill Keefe. Same results. Good reg season. Lousy playoffs. But then again a coach can only do so much. Maybe with this core of players, Berube gets the same results.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I agree,

I think MLSE is far too worried about their image politically/morally to make that hire. I do think he is the perfect coach for this group unfortunately.

At the end of the day I don't think anyone is beyond rehabilitation. I know in 2024 we tend put labels on people that carry forward with them for the rest of their lives, but we also have to allow for some element of righting previous wrongs.

Q will get another job in the NHL at some point IMO. His reputation is still good, and he has paid a severe price for his actions/inactions. Although I do agree with you that MLSE probably will not even consider him as a candidate, I do believe that would be a mistake.

If the team cares about winning, like they should, they will free quennville from his purgatory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad