Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I agree,

I think MLSE is far too worried about their image politically/morally to make that hire. I do think he is the perfect coach for this group unfortunately.

At the end of the day I don't think anyone is beyond rehabilitation. I know in 2024 we tend put labels on people that carry forward with them for the rest of their lives, but we also have to allow for some element of righting previous wrongs.

Q will get another job in the NHL at some point IMO. His reputation is still good, and he has paid a severe price for his actions/inactions. Although I do agree with you that MLSE probably will not even consider him as a candidate, I do believe that would be a mistake.
True yeah I agree with most of the above

I guess the only thing for Q is why does he want to coach really?

He has his legacy, his cups, his money

He is 65 years of age now. If he wants to improve his image then maybe volunteer and try and help organizations to improve player safety for mens/womens hockey at junior level

He should be a coach but at 65 does he want to still work and take on that pressure?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
It absolutely was his fault.
I think it was 65-35 on the players. Which is why if they do not change the core... they are still the same. This will be the 3rd coach with this core if they stay together.

Look at a guy like Marner, who refused to go to the areas that mattered. So many opportunities to take the puck to the dangerous area, but refused. Cannot win with guys like that. And he isn't the only one, but he is the only one making $11 mil.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I wish Keefe the best but getting left with Samsonov was his downfall. Luckily he gets paid 2 more years to coach somewhere else. The Leafs let in too many soft goals to win a cup, yet alone outscore everyone. Just think if he started Woll he is still here.
Samsonov allowed one regulation goal in game 7. Look at some of the goals that were allowed just last night. Difference was that their offenses could actually score more than one or two goals to compensate.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I wish Keefe the best but getting left with Samsonov was his downfall. Luckily he gets paid 2 more years to coach somewhere else. The Leafs let in too many soft goals to win a cup, yet alone outscore everyone. Just think if he started Woll he is still here.
the leafs only pay him if he doesn't get a job elsewhere?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Berube's coaching record shows he starts great and at some point the team sags. That can go for any coach really, but people got t remember his big STL win was really due to Binnington being lights out as a call up. He went 24-5 with Hasek like numbers. He had insane stats. When his stats normalized to being a decent goalie, STL never came close to the cup since.

If it is Berube, Leaf players better be ready for another loud yelling Babcock kind of coach. Keefe was a chill players coach.
Which might be the problem with Berube. Do we need a coach to get this group over the hump, or actually teach them how to play to win? I think it is the later... so a coach who would have a longer shelf life would be more preferable to me. Though, whatever ends up in a cup win I guess...

Reactions: Eric bungay

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Honestly, I just want them to take their time and do a legitimate search, unlike what happened with the GM. If they just immediately hire Berube because he is the flashiest name available, it will just be typical MLSE.
Exactly, I don't really know about all this it's Berube for sure etc. do a search and see if teams are leaning for a coaching change. They could easily take on any contract that a coach currently has if the other teams wants to make a change also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad