Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm just not sure Berube should be the guy. His track record isn't great, and even in his Stanley Cup winning year, the Blues were a wreck before Christmas. They also had an outstanding Pietrangelo anchoring that blue line. I do like the fact he appears to be a hard liner and won't accept anything less than full effort most nights. I think they should take their time and see if Brind'Amour becomes available.
If the Leafs just immediately hire Berube, it will be no different than the GM situation. Just go hire the flashiest name available without doing a fulsome search. Berube has one complete outlier season, and it was a hell of a season, but the rest of his coaching resume seems pretty ordinary. Why not take your time and see if other candidates become available after the playoffs end?

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm sad that Keefe lost his job.

I blame the players more than I blame him. However, he was out-coached too often, and sometimes, even by himself.

I put the most blame on Dubas, and especially on Shanahan, who allowed the Leafs core to be OVERPAID too soon. He also allowed our Leafs to be built in the opposite image of how he played hockey.

Huge changes in player personnel are STILL REQUIRED. I'd start with Marner and Rielly. I'd also work on getting Tavares to waive his NMC, or to re-sign at a HUGE team favored discount.

2 years at $4M, or under for Tavares to stay, otherwise take a hike John.
I wouldn’t even re-sign Tavares. The point is to move away from the last 8 years. If you can move Marner this year, let Tavares walk.
Matthews and Willy the only survivors of 8 years playoff futility.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I am shocked.

I don't even think Keefe is like 30% to blame. Unfortunately for him coaches are the easiest changes since they don't get those pesky NMC's that are handed out like candy here.

Oh well, bring on the new candidates.
Only one without a nmc on the entire team I think

Reactions: Kelly

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Not sure I get the hard on everyone has for Berube.
Flashy name (which is ironic given the type of player he was). I don't think it's anything more than that. Leafs fans love that he looks like a hard-ass. But his coaching record? Meh.

Reactions: WillNy29

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Curious what will happen to Boucher.

If he's fired after one year, quite a stroke of bad luck with the Leafs.

Gets a HC offer rescinded by Shanny at the literal last second so they can sign Babs, eventually comes back a few years later as an assistant to potentially face the axe before June.....

He was responsible for the powerplay and while it was solid for most of the season (50% in February), it was a disaster for the last 3 months. Tough break for Boucher for sure... but Leafs need a complete overhaul there.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Tough to win as a coach when your top guys aren't your top guys when it matters the most.

By no means do I think Sheldon was ever an elite coach, or someone that even came close to getting the best out of his players, but I also don't think he was a terrible coach until his final year if I'm being honest. Really felt like he was becoming increasingly stubborn in his decision making this past year. Similar to Babs in his final days as the Leafs bench boss.

Sheldon is and was not the only problem with this team. I am happy to see us move on from him, but I am also not expecting this monumental shift forward with a new voice. I do want to see a coach in place that holds the players accountable shift to shift. We lack focus in critical moments in April/May and it has cost us years of post season success. Accountability and playing for the logo on the front are the only things this team needs to worry about. Luckily there are a couple coaches on the market that embody that mindset. Q and Berube to name a few.

Best of luck in the future Sheldon. It was never exclusively your fault, but as you said in your last press conference it was your responsibility.

cheers,
Quenville probably isnt available

He is looked at by some of the public as one step above a sexual assualter (I dont view it like this, but was reading some stuff on toronto maple leafs reddit and those guys dont want him anywhere near the team)

Not sure if Q could come back to toronto. To bright lights, and hes lost a lot of respect in fans/media eyes. He would need to go somewhere smaller I feel.

Berube is a decent coach though probably not going to make much of a difference than Keefe come playoff time

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the Leafs just immediately hire Berube, it will be no different than the GM situation. Just go hire the flashiest name available without doing a fulsome search. Berube has one complete outlier season, and it was a hell of a season, but the rest of his coaching resume seems pretty ordinary. Why not take your time and see if other candidates become available after the playoffs end?
You don't think they've talked to Berube already?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Curious what will happen to Boucher.

If he's fired after one year, quite a stroke of bad luck with the Leafs.

Gets a HC offer rescinded by Shanny at the literal last second so they can sign Babs, eventually comes back a few years later as an assistant to potentially face the axe before June.....

Guy Boucher is disposable. Inconsistent work on the PP, critical failure at a critical time.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't know who the answer is, but this is a VERY big decision. It wasn't Keefe's fault that the Leafs had such poor playoff showings, but our series have been close enough that a small tactic change could've been the difference in many years.

The right coach can also definitely set up our stars for better playoff success. Our team isn't perfect, but they're obviously talented enough to be better than they have in the Matthews era. Hopefully they pick the right coach.

Reactions: arso40

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Was Keefe scapegoat? Well, as always with coach firings, it comes down to what you think:

Reasons why coach should get fired

- Coach's responsibility to motivate players to perform
- Coach's responsibility to improve on on-ice strategies and line combinations
- Given enough time. The leash is gone

Reasons to give coach flexibility

- Coach dealt the hand he's got. He didn't do the contracts and player signings
- Coach can try improving and motivating players, but end of the day he stands behind the bench. He's not the highly paid athletes playing

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
I know when tre hired Bill peters, he said he was the only candidate he spoke to. So unfortunately there is precedent.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Quenville probably isnt available

He is looked at by some of the public as one step above a sexual assualter (I dont view it like this, but was reading some stuff on toronto maple leafs reddit and those guys dont want him anywhere near the team)

Not sure if Q could come back to toronto. To bright lights, and hes lost a lot of respect in fans/media eyes. He would need to go somewhere smaller I feel.

Berube is a decent coach though probably not going to make much of a difference than Keefe come playoff time
Berube isnt the answer unless you are trying to run some guys outta town.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
been thinking of Hrudey complimenting him for not losing it over the non-calls in game 7 on the Dewar and Knies breakaways. he was pretty good at losing it at refs and I would have preferred him to let them have it there.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I wish Keefe the best but getting left with Samsonov was his downfall. Luckily he gets paid 2 more years to coach somewhere else. The Leafs let in too many soft goals to win a cup, yet alone outscore everyone. Just think if he started Woll he is still here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad