Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Most players feel bad when the coach is let go.
Scapegoat? You think the firing was unjust?
Unjust if that’s the only domino.
Not my decision on the coach but I find it hypocritical that the core stands there using words like scapegoat when their actions led to the coach being fired. Or at least shoulder half the blame. Especially when you get comments from someone like Ferraro that Marner is either hurt or disinterested.
There was no need for them to even talk about scapegoats and finger pointing when the guy (Keefe) is taking all the blame in the next room getting hung out to dry.

So probably just due to lack of success but feels bitter to me. Not a regular coach change feeling.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unjust if that’s the only domino.
Not my decision on the coach but I find it hypocritical that the core stands there using words like scapegoat when their actions led to the coach being fired. Or at least shoulder half the blame. Especially when you get comments from someone like Ferraro that Marner is either hurt or disinterested.
There was no need for them to even talk about scapegoats and finger pointing when the guy (Keefe) is taking all the blame in the next room getting hung out to dry.

So probably just due to lack of success but feels bitter to me. Not a regular coach change feeling

Long overdue, his own actions cost him his job. There is lots of blame to go around but he certainly shouldn't escape it.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Better late than never.

Guessing Berube is the guy.
I'm just not sure Berube should be the guy. His track record isn't great, and even in his Stanley Cup winning year, the Blues were a wreck before Christmas. They also had an outstanding Pietrangelo anchoring that blue line. I do like the fact he appears to be a hard liner and won't accept anything less than full effort most nights. I think they should take their time and see if Brind'Amour becomes available.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Whoever is the next coach will probably get the same amount of hate. Can't wait.

If you don't perform well, you should

Many leafs fans don't hate Burns or Quinn. Because of them took this team far.

This is a result based league. Result he did not geg

Reactions: cyris and ACC1224

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Tough to win as a coach when your top guys aren't your top guys when it matters the most.

By no means do I think Sheldon was ever an elite coach, or someone that even came close to getting the best out of his players, but I also don't think he was a terrible coach until his final year if I'm being honest. Really felt like he was becoming increasingly stubborn in his decision making this past year. Similar to Babs in his final days as the Leafs bench boss.

Sheldon is and was not the only problem with this team. I am happy to see us move on from him, but I am also not expecting this monumental shift forward with a new voice. I do want to see a coach in place that holds the players accountable shift to shift. We lack focus in critical moments in April/May and it has cost us years of post season success. Accountability and playing for the logo on the front are the only things this team needs to worry about. Luckily there are a couple coaches on the market that embody that mindset. Q and Berube to name a few.

Best of luck in the future Sheldon. It was never exclusively your fault, but as you said in your last press conference it was your responsibility.

cheers,

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Lol There’s 3 other openings right now,

Seattle, Winnipeg and New Jersey. Keefe would be a good fit in Seattle. Younger group, hungry. I think he’s a decent coach and a good guy, with the right personnel who want to play the right way Keefe could find success.
Would he take Mitch with him for Shane Wright and Will Borgen?

Reactions: ToneDog

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm sad that Keefe lost his job.

I blame the players more than I blame him. However, he was out-coached too often, and sometimes, even by himself.

I put the most blame on Dubas, and especially on Shanahan, who allowed the Leafs core to be OVERPAID too soon. He also allowed our Leafs to be built in the opposite image of how he played hockey.

Huge changes in player personnel are STILL REQUIRED. I'd start with Marner and Rielly. I'd also work on getting Tavares to waive his NMC, or to re-sign at a HUGE team favored discount.

2 years at $4M, or under for Tavares to stay, otherwise take a hike John.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Curious what will happen to Boucher.

If he's fired after one year, quite a stroke of bad luck with the Leafs.

Gets a HC offer rescinded by Shanny at the literal last second so they can sign Babs, eventually comes back a few years later as an assistant to potentially face the axe before June.....

Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not a fan of Keefe at all. But the players who are underachieving on BIG deals need to step up. Mitch Marner comes to mind.

If Mitch Marner stepped up like young Wyatt Johnston has for Dallas this year, there’d be a public school named after Keefe by now.

In all honesty, Keefe had some positive traits, had some difficult star players to work with in terms of lack of big game ability and was also a goober. All in all, time to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad