Sheldon Keefe Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So pretty much bottom bin goaltending and a top 5-10 team everywhere else... And the man has had to weather some serious injuries in there too.

Yea, the numbers are pretty elite and even you might be undervaluing them while being a little harsh on the goalkeeping (but not by much)

Dumbing things down a bit more:

Top 5 Offense

Top 10 Defense

Top 5 PK

Top 5 PP

Top 5 Goal differential (both expected and actual)

Below average goalkeeping

Even with goalkeeping, you can make a clear separation.

Awful starting goaltending. After the acquisition of Campbell, great backup goalkeeping.

All in all, certainly a top 5 team in hockey when it comes to what a coach is paid to do, especially with the injury issues.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Team defense has been steady stabilizing factor the entire season. It’s going to serve the team well come playoffs. It’s a composed structure that is much more patient. Sometimes this possession obsession goes a bit to far and they try low % passes to maintain the puck when get rid of it or eat it on the wall is the right play.
Pretty strong. I think it will improve down the stretch. In hope of that definitely

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
5v5

#5 gf% (#9 gf60, #7 ga60)
#4 xgf% (#3 xgf60, #8 xga60)

Even Strength

#4 gf% (#4 gf60, #7 ga60)
#4 xgf% (#2 xgf60, #8 xga60)

Power Play

#4 gf60
#1 xgf60

Penalty Kill

#18 ga60
#9 xga60

All Situations

#4 gf% (#5 gf60, #9 ga60)
#2 xgf% (#2 xgf60, #9 xga60)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
.659 Pts % as coach which is #1 all time for a Leafs coach with Pat Quinn being #2 for guys with more than 1 seasons worth of games at .588 %

He's doing what he needs to do with this roster despite terrible goaltending from Fred for the last year and a half and a defense with Marincin/Dermott/Barrie/Holl as the top 4 D for parts of last season.

Reactions: Lumberg and zeke

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Coaching is d*mn good when you are winning
But better credit goes to Dubie for finally getting us a solid d core this year
I am still considered with defensive depth for a playoff run and I hope it is addressed
I would also like another Foligno type winger who can play in top 2 lines when ice gets smaller as time and space gets reduced in playoffs
And although I know it won't happen getting another tender to backup Soupy (assumes Freddy on LTIR for est of season)

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
93/94 team had much tougher competition than the current team.
And were a much much much tougher team mentally and physically overall by a country mile , not even close .....
If we could ever combine the two teams and unite their 2 hockey views , now we are talking Planning Parades ...

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I find the experience vs. inexperience debate interesting. One side wants mega experience and accountability. The other wants someone with fresh ideas with an ability to communicate to today's players. Some, just want a Mike Keenan dictatorship.

I will say, seeing these old grumbly coaches like Torts and Sutter not have success make me feel that being able to communicate to today's generation is more important than barking orders and trying to get accountability.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I find the experience vs. inexperience debate interesting. One side wants mega experience and accountability. The other wants someone with fresh ideas with an ability to communicate to today's players. Some, just want a Mike Keenan dictatorship.

I will say, seeing these old grumbly coaches like Torts and Sutter not have success make me feel that being able to communicate to today's generation is more important than barking orders and trying to get accountability.
A good balance is the key I think

Reactions: Judas Tavares

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I think you can bark orders, the orders just have to be good. Torts and Sutter yelling at you to run the same chip and chase that hasn't worked all season isn't going to work. Your solution to getting out-coached on a tactical level can't just be to yell at your guys to execute harder. Gaudreau and Laine didn't forget how to create offense overnight.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think you can bark orders, the orders just have to be good. Torts and Sutter yelling at you to run the same chip and chase that hasn't worked all season isn't going to work. Your solution to getting out-coached on a tactical level can't just be to yell at your guys to execute harder. Gaudreau and Laine didn't forget how to create offense overnight.
I predict Laine's going to be out of the league in 2-3 years if he stays in Columbus and Columbus keeps Torterella.

Feels awesome having a coach that knows how to maximize the offensive talent on a team.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You're never going to like all of the decisions a coach makes, but I really like the way he's using the team's strengths rather than utilizing a template
I do think they need some more load management with guys like Joe and perhaps Spezza, but perhaps that comes after the tdl

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since Keefe (86gms)

Overall:

#5 66.3 pts% (109pt pace)
#4 60.5 row%

#3 55.0 gf%
#2 54.6 xgf%

Offense

#3 3.38 gf/60
#2 2.96 xgf/60