Expected Goals Scored Percentage

1. VGK 54.8%
2. CAR 53.7%
3. TBL 53.6%
4. TOR 53.4%
5. BOS 53.4%

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
With Muzzin going down, thought I'd post some crazy stats showing how important Muzzin/Rielly are to the team since Keefe took over:

Record under Keefe's Leafs:

Neither player in the lineup: 3-3-2
Only Muzzin in the lineup: 8-6-1
Only Rielly in the lineup: 4-2-2
Both players in the lineup: 26-7-2

Reactions: saffronleaf

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Some real worries about 5v5 play at the end of January but numbers in February now?

5v5 xGF%:
1st in the NHL (up to 9th on the year and 2nd in the division)

5v5 Goal differential:
1st in the NHL (up to 4th on the year and 2nd in the division)

Special teams still have great numbers since the start of the season:

Powerplay:

Expected goals/60 ranking: 1st in the NHL
Actual Goals/60 ranking: 2nd in the NHL (Last game knocked us out of top spot)

PK:

Fewest expected goals/60 ranking: 4th in the NHL
Fewest actual Goals/60 ranking: 17th in the NHL (Goaltending hasnt been as good on the PK, especially last month)

Overall, a lot to be happy about. Not only is the team winning like crazy, all the numbers, advanced or not, agree they probably deserve it.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I know there isn't much to complain about, but I do have a couple issues with Keefe and his player usage.

GM goes and acquires Sabourin for toughness/protection with Simmonds being out, but the coach refuses to play him, despite guy like Josh Anderson having his way with the Leafs. Sure...it didn't really cost them, but having a guy like that in the lineup would help.

Secondly, how many chances is he going to give guys like Petan/Vesey/Engvall, when they are clearly struggling to produce offense, and seem to be offering little away from the puck as well. Barabanov has shown he wants one of their spots, so will be interesting to see where things go when Thornton is back, plus Galchenyuk must be ready to get in a game soon too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I kind of thought Calgary took some liberties against Matthews/ Boyd etc with the Tkachuk slew foot deal and the Andersson trip on Matthews in to the boards. I wish Matthews had of smashed him with a good glove off in the face when they were wrestling behind the net. Nobody went for either player. Thats the sh!t that can not filter back in to the chemistry. It can not. So Keefe has to dress Sabourin. It can’t happen again and he better see this. We can’t wait for Simmonds to come back. Bogosian is there watching too. He better man up.
This is on Keefe to see. All the cowards we have is a red flag again. Just airing that out ;)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
With Muzzin going down, thought I'd post some crazy stats showing how important Muzzin/Rielly are to the team since Keefe took over:

Record under Keefe's Leafs:

Neither player in the lineup: 3-3-2
Only Muzzin in the lineup: 8-6-1
Only Rielly in the lineup: 4-2-2
Both players in the lineup: 26-7-2
Good summary.
It’s why I’m totally on board for protecting 4 D for the expansion draft and holding on to Timmy and Rasmus tightly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I know there isn't much to complain about, but I do have a couple issues with Keefe and his player usage.

GM goes and acquires Sabourin for toughness/protection with Simmonds being out, but the coach refuses to play him, despite guy like Josh Anderson having his way with the Leafs. Sure...it didn't really cost them, but having a guy like that in the lineup would help.

Secondly, how many chances is he going to give guys like Petan/Vesey/Engvall, when they are clearly struggling to produce offense, and seem to be offering little away from the puck as well. Barabanov has shown he wants one of their spots, so will be interesting to see where things go when Thornton is back, plus Galchenyuk must be ready to get in a game soon too.
You and I were posting this exact same time :thumbu:

Reactions: Cams

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

On the 1st point, Sabourin was never going to play. He isn't an NHL player and wouldn't be surprised if he was added to the taxi squad for cap reasons.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
On the 1st point, Sabourin was never going to play. He isn't an NHL player and wouldn't be surprised if he was added to the taxi squad for cap reasons.
Well you don’t know then. He can play and has played. Just stop. Wow. Sabourine was taking more starts in the defensive zone with Ottawa why do you think. Not the first time you post dead wrong crap against players you don’t like. You were all against Bogosian a while back too. Just stop.

Last edited:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Obviously there are waivers and stuff to consider as well.

It's like having a decent used wrench in your toolbox, but you are afraid to use it in place of a wrench that isn't getting the job done.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I like that he isn't coaching to win every game. He's coaching to find the best mix for the team. In, out, forward/defense, measure, determine, evaluate, give extended opportunities, allow time to grow comfortable, don't rush, don't assume after one game, don't destroy a player's belief that they can contribute, don't coddle, engage, relate, compliment, question, converse, move towards the goal, don't set it at the beginning. What we see today, imo, is not what Keefe has in mind for tomorrow, because he's still trying to find the best combinations for this team. We are going to be a better team tomorrow because that is the goal that Keefe works towards. He's a good coach.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Since Keefe took over (66gms):

Points Percentage

1. BOS 71.5% ----> (#1sv%)
2. TBL 69.4% ----> (#4sv%)
3. TOR 67.4% ----> (#18sv%)
4. PHI 66.7% ----> (#16sv%)
5. COL 65.9% ---> (#3sv%)

Regulation or Overtime Win Percentage

1. TBL 64.2%
2. TOR 62.1%
3. BOS 61.5%
4. PHI 58.7%
4. COL 58.7%
4. VGK 58.7%

Goals Scored Percentage

1. TBL 58.1%
2. BOS 56.8%
3. COL 56.4%
4. TOR 55.0%
5. PHI 54.9%

Expected Goals Scored Percentage

1. VGK 54.8%
2. CAR 53.7%
3. TBL 53.6%
4. TOR 53.4%
5. BOS 53.4%

Its been a year and 2 months since he replaced Babcock, how has he done with the Leafs since then?

Reactions: saffronleaf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Always remember Keefer understands toughness in hockey more than most ... da guy had to endure more than almost anyone in hockey had to endure ... he has seen da worst ... his bro leads English hockey all time in fighting ... he gets it because he has lived it ... one thing i never worry about with Keefer is understanding da game ... he grew up understanding hockey fundamentals with Nats da good da bad and da nasty too ... a TO coach should be someone who grew up, played and learned TO hockey ... and young kids playing hockey often get mixed up with wrong crowd ... da Brampton boys were tortured but they all could really play esp Jeffer .. it was last of a different era ... let me tell you I truly hope we are completely done with da fistfights in dressing rooms before games to see who was daddy and who wanted to play and who was a pretender ... always remember this was TO hockey until 25 years ago and it was even worse in rural Ontario when we played da farm boys

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Always remember Keefer understands toughness in hockey more than most ... da guy had to endure more than almost anyone in hockey had to endure ... he has seen da worst ... his bro leads English hockey all time in fighting ... he gets it because he has lived it ... one thing i never worry about with Keefer is understanding da game ... he grew up understanding hockey fundamentals with Nats da good da bad and da nasty too ... a TO coach should be someone who grew up, played and learned TO hockey ... and young kids playing hockey often get mixed up with wrong crowd ... da Brampton boys were tortured but they all could really play esp Jeffer .. it was last of a different era ... let me tell you I truly hope we are completely done with da fistfights in dressing rooms before games to see who was daddy and who wanted to play and who was a pretender ... always remember this was TO hockey until 25 years ago and it was even worse in rural Ontario when we played da farm boys

Oh trust me, I know. The whole Frosty stuff, Brampton Boys..... crazy times, and what a bizarre few years. His brother was a dirtbag for the Rangers too....... jumped the younger Jefferson when he (Jefferson) played for Windsor - it was personal. That era in the OHL was nuts. That one year we had Janssen and Josh Gratton and Tim Gleason could throw 'em too! I was "in the know" back then. So many things.....but that's for another topic and another day!

I like Keefe as a coach, but as I said previously......seems like a guy like Vesey is getting a very long leash, and realistically...how long can we hang on with no Simmonds for standing up to guys on the other team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Oh trust me, I know. The whole Frosty stuff, Brampton Boys..... crazy times, and what a bizarre few years. His brother was a dirtbag for the Rangers too....... jumped the younger Jefferson when he (Jefferson) played for Windsor - it was personal. That era in the OHL was nuts. That one year we had Janssen and Josh Gratton and Tim Gleason could throw 'em too! I was "in the know" back then. So many things.....but that's for another topic and another day!

I like Keefe as a coach, but as I said previously......seems like a guy like Vesey is getting a very long leash, and realistically...how long can we hang on with no Simmonds for standing up to guys on the other team.
Yeah Adam does not have a filter (i hope he gets one as no way he can continue on like that) but he is like 20 years younger than me playing a supposed friendly alum game in Sudbury like 10 years ago ... we are a group of older guys really just in it for a few beers against some younger guys in 20/30's ... well dude decides to ram me into glass as I am going back to pick up puck on wall ... and he says to me GAME ON ... no biggie for me that was my game so i didn't think much of it and i laugh at him ... next thing i know mcrae jumps over bench and we got a full scale brawl going on between those 2 and a young gun destroys an older guy which ended up cancelling da game .. some guys never get it ... i don't' think he will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad