Sheldon Keefe Appreciation Thread

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Lets just take time to appreciate we have a top notch coach in the AHL and the NHL.
Not sure why Keefe gets criticism from some posters. He is an excellent coach who seems to get the most out of his players. He just recently reached 100 wins in the AHL, getting there in the 3rd fewest games.(156)
Yes he has had some good rosters, but that shouldnt really discredit his abilities though. He has developed players while also having the team remain competitive.
He is a possession based coach who expects his team to have a strong work ethic. I like how he isnt afraid to blame himself when something isnt going well.
Like today in his post game interview, he said "I thought our special teams was probably the area we were lacking a little bit, and to me, thats on the coaching staff. So I have to be a lot more prepared there. I have to be better and I will be"
Quotes from Travis Dermott and Trevor Moore on Keefe's leadership
It’s definitely no accident that he has 100 wins,” said Moore. “He’s a really good coach. He sees the game very well and communicates well with players, we’re lucky to have him.”

“I think he’s got a great mind for the game,” added Dermott. “He comes to the rink every day ready to work us and ready to work on his part, things that he has to help us with, like video and making sure we’re working on what we need to work on.”

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
there are room for about 6 marlies on the leafs now with Sheldon run ning our defense would be a nice switch ..

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs get eliminated in the first round again this upcoming year, making it 3 first round exits in a row. Babcock is on the hot seat and or fired. Mix in how Matthews isnt happy with his playing time which was not blown up by media, its facts. Mix in Babcocks power trips, see players ice time. Anytime Babcock feels a little insecure, he goes on power trips. Mix in Sheldon Keefe being hired by Dubas in the Soo, then to the Marlies. Dubas is clearly loyal to Keefe.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
If the Leafs get eliminated in the first round again this upcoming year, making it 3 first round exits in a row. Babcock is on the hot seat and or fired. Mix in how Matthews isnt happy with his playing time which was not blown up by media, its facts. Mix in Babcocks power trips, see players ice time. Anytime Babcock feels a little insecure, he goes on power trips. Mix in Sheldon Keefe being hired by Dubas in the Soo, then to the Marlies. Dubas is clearly loyal to Keefe.

Speaking of blowing things out of proportion... Matthews apparently hates him? Power trips? Dubas isn't loyal to Babcock as well?

Two straight first-round exits, the first of which was an improbable playoff appearance in the first place against the President's Trophy winners, and the second a closely-fought series that went 7 games.

Did you really just bump a 1o-month old thread to get jabs in at Babcock? He's here for the duration of his 8 year contract. So get used to it.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Speaking of blowing things out of proportion... Matthews apparently hates him? Power trips? Dubas isn't loyal to Babcock as well?

Two straight first-round exits, the first of which was an improbable playoff appearance in the first place against the President's Trophy winners, and the second a closely-fought series that went 7 games.

Did you really just bump a 1o-month old thread to get jabs in at Babcock? He's here for the duration of his 8 year contract. So get used to it.

Komarov was used as Babcock's show pony for most of the year. Overplaying him in key minutes to troll certain players on that team. The attempted message was "u get rewarded for playing hard" which is what Komorov represents. But it also showed Babcock not giving the best chance to win. Long term what is losing one game, to send a message. Either way Babcock stubborness, beating the message into players, power tripping etc...its wearing thin.

Shanahan or Lou stepped in at one point last year from my perspective and kind of warned or questioned Babcock for some of his stubborn behaviour. Dermott was called up, Komorov's minutes were cut back, Komorov removed from key PP's, no more Marner on the 4th line, no more Nylander getting moved all around etc....this all happened all at once.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Komarov was used as Babcock's show pony for most of the year. Overplaying him in key minutes to troll certain players on that team. The attempted message was "u get rewarded for playing hard" which is what Komorov represents. But it also showed Babcock not giving the best chance to win. Long term what is losing one game, to send a message. Either way Babcock stubborness, beating the message into players, power tripping etc...its wearing thin.

Shanahan or Lou stepped in at one point last year from my perspective and kind of warned or questioned Babcock for some of his stubborn behaviour. Dermott was called up, Komorov's minutes were cut back, Komorov removed from key PP's, no more Marner on the 4th line, no more Nylander getting moved all around etc....this all happened all at once.
Teaching young players what's needed to win in the NHL is part of his job.
As for the bolded, didn't we set a franchise record for points last season? :dunno:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Talk about completely exaggerating and making up stuff again.

Reactions: Cor and Liminality

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Babcock likes veterans... this is nothing new. And I would agree that it's a flaw of his. But he has shown progress in this area. When Komarov was fully healthy to return in the playoffs, he stuck with Johnsson out there, for example.

People like to refer to Komarov as an example of Babcock not keeping players accountable, but when he moves players like Marner/Nylander around the lineup it's deemed a power trip? Where's the consistency? People forget that Marner was not very good through the first 2-3 months of last year. He looked tentative out there, tried to do too much, and was giving away the puck constantly. I kept saying "Mitch, where'd you go?" in the early parts of 2017-18. Nylander has issues with consistent effort as well. These are things that drive Babcock crazy. Of course, he's going to move players around to try and jump start them.

But to suggest he chooses veterans to "troll" other players is ludicrous. How old do you think he is, 13? And to say that he was forced into certain lineup decisions by Dubas and Shanahan is based on what evidence? It feels to me like you've got an issue with the guy and will hyperbolize things to make a point.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Babcock has helped Marner and Nylander develop well. I have had zero issues with his handling of them.

Don't you dare put either on the 4th line this year though. There's no need for that anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad