Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Brookbank attending Flames camp on a PTO

Aug 3, 2010
I would really rather see a d-core of

Giordano-Brodie
Wideman-Russell
Smid-Wotherspoon
Engelland

So many 'character' and 'gritty' veterans won't mean a thing if the youth isn't developing in the system.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Honestly I don't see a single spot open on this roster for a rookie unless we bench multiple veterans.

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Setoguchi
Byron - Stajan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Jones

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Smid
Russell - Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

Am I missing something here?

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Honestly I don't see a single spot open on this roster for a rookie unless we bench multiple veterans.

Jones

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Smid
Russell - Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

Byron is no guarantee to make the roster over guys like Gaudreau or Bennet.

Other than that, you're right that's pretty much the opening night roster. Of course with injuries the roster will probably look muchhhh different 3 months into the season.

And it's Hiller's job to lose.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think there are 2, or 3 even spots available for rookies if guys "earn" them. If that does play out that way, expect roster moves to be made. If guys are not ready, Treliving has vet guys as an insurance policy to fill the holes and forcing young players to play when they are not ready.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Jones

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Smid
Russell - Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

Switch Jones and Byron around, but yeah, you're right otherwise. I think the Flames are setting themselves up for some hard and uncomfortable times in the future when they're either forced to ice a prospects heavy lineup or risk losing some promising players to waivers.

For rebuilding teams, ideally you'd want to insert two to three rookies (assuming they're ready - and I do think the names mentioned in a moment are) in a year while a bunch of others get spot duty or cups of coffee. Last year had Colborne and Monahan as regulars, while Wotherspoon, Reinhart, Granlund, Ortio and Baertschi saw some games. This year, at least two or three of the latter group (add Gaudreau to the mix as well) should be regulars.

I think there are 2, or 3 even spots available for rookies if guys "earn" them. If that does play out that way, expect roster moves to be made. If guys are not ready, Treliving has vet guys as an insurance policy to fill the holes and forcing young players to play when they are not ready.

I think the Flames make it a little too onerous to "earn" a spot with the big team. Most teams have prospects compete against each for a position; the Flames have that but also add in another competition against a slew of one-way contracts. And when ownership doesn't like 'wasting' money, well that makes things a little problematic.

The Flames mentality might just be along the lines of "well, it's easier to trade established NHL'ers after the fact than it is to find one when no prospect is ready" but I disagree. The market is absolutely saturated with guys looking for jobs. And you got to have faith in your own guys eventually.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My problem with our roster is that it's very well known that our ownership group does not like to have money sitting in the press box and we have even given picks away in the past to avoid having to do it. I honesty don't really believe that if 4-5 rookies outplay these veterans in camp, we will 'make room for them'. It just will not happen. It's easy to talk about trading away guys who have been outplayed by rookies but who is going to take on these 1-way contracts of guys who got beaten out by rookies on one of the worst teams in the league? To make room we would have to trade away the Hudlers and the Glencross's on our team. No one if going to let us dump a contract like Jones or Engelland on them without us paying to do so.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My problem with our roster is that it's very well known that our ownership group does not like to have money sitting in the press box and we have even given picks away in the past to avoid having to do it. I honesty don't really believe that if 4-5 rookies outplay these veterans in camp, we will 'make room for them'. It just will not happen. It's easy to talk about trading away guys who have been outplayed by rookies but who is going to take on these 1-way contracts of guys who got beaten out by rookies on one of the worst teams in the league? To make room we would have to trade away the Hudlers and the Glencross's on our team. No one if going to let us dump a contract like Jones or Engelland on them without us paying to do so.

I always thought the same way, until Brian Burke came along and SOB was sent to the minors, then later was bought out. And the Flames were openly public about taking on Riberio/Ward for a 1st, with the likely intention of buying out Riberio.

Seto is only being paid 750k, if both Johnny and Sven clearly outplay him come this training camp, I don't think the Flames would blink placing him on waivers if he doesn't look good. Or conversely, Jones was Uncle Feaster's asquisition, if his play or health becomes an obstacle of taking up a spot for a more deserving player, I think the Flames would take whatever action necessary to make room.

Now I am not saying anything about Seto or Jones, I'm just throwing out hypothetical situations. If those guys are good, maybe someone like a Hudler is traded to fill a hole on D.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Let's try to bring this conversation back to Brookbank, guys. There is a thread for discussion of Derek Engelland.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Exactly. Sitting on our ***** and handing out roster spots to rookies is very similar to the other trainwreck in the province.

What happens if a guy like Wotherspoon isn't ready to play in a full season? Who do you replace him with? What if he's injured? Do you call up an even less-ready prospect, which imo is a way to ruin development?

What do you say to the boss when he asks "Why didn't you prepare for this?"

For the record I don't even think Brookbank will last with our team but he could be there if we need him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If Brookbank sticks with Calgary, how many tough guys you have??!? Holy **** the level of mayhem if somebody runs over one of your young guys......

If somebody runs over one of Calgary's young guys the exact same thing will happen that always does: the enforcers won't do squat. I can't remember the last time Grats, Westgarth, Ivanans, Roy, or any other "heavyweights" actually fought someone in retribution for something they'd done on the ice. They just did the general dancing bear staged fights and the occasional "morale booster". Only difference is that this time there will be 2-3 useless skaters sitting on their hands instead of 1-2.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
yes, they gave him that much to not be a regular :laugh::laugh:

Guess again. He wasn't a regular on the Pens and won't be on the Flames. I've watched him for 3 years now in the NHL.

Anyways. Like I said before, the competition is good to have in camp. However I don't see him filling a need. Interesting that they are bringing him in on a tryout after buying out a similar player in SOB.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'm still hoping Cundari takes that 7th D spot and has a Kris Russell type of a season. But more competition is always good; if you can't beat out Sheldon Brookbank you probably don't deserve an NHL spot anyway.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm still hoping Cundari takes that 7th D spot and has a Kris Russell type of a season. But more competition is always good; if you can't beat out Sheldon Brookbank you probably don't deserve an NHL spot anyway.
Cundari is not going to make the team. He was retained for AHL depth and experience, no more, no less.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Interesting that they are bringing him in on a tryout after buying out a similar player in SOB.

Well, there's never been a question about the Accountant's drive and effort level. That's always been a question about SOB.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
And if Brookbank signs, it likely won't be for more than one year, and it won't be a 2 million + caphit. I actually hope we sign Brookbank, if I'm being perfectly honest here. He'd be a solid #7, and I want Wotherspoon in the AHL, because I honestly think him being pretty much the go to defenseman on the team down there is better for him than being a bottom pair up here this year. I do want Wotherspoon to get a few callups and short stints, but I don't want him up the full season, wait until 2015-2016 for him to have a legitimate shot at that. He needs to build off last season, and being at the bottom of the Calgary roster won't do that for him.

Brookbank gives us a decent #7 or injury fill in, and if he gets sent down, gives the minor league team some much needed experienced presence, either scenario doesn't hurt our organization at all

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys, me, Stewie and Anglesmith are the MOD's on the board, if you are not one of us 3, don't act like you are a MOD. Also, if you cannot debate without Flaming, you will be infracted, no more warnings.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Cundari is not going to make the team. He was retained for AHL depth and experience, no more, no less.
If he has a good camp I think he could very well be that 7th Dman. He doesn't really need those developmental big minutes in the AHL like Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Kulak and could be used in that bench warmer role on the Flames. But if he's outplayed by a guy like Brookbank it's AHL depth for sure.

Also, if you cannot debate without Flaming, you will be infracted
Leave me out of this :help:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If he has a good camp I think he could very well be that 7th Dman. He doesn't really need those developmental big minutes in the AHL like Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Kulak and could be used in that bench warmer role on the Flames. But if he's outplayed by a guy like Brookbank it's AHL depth for sure.

Leave me out of this :help:

Yeah I personally wouldn't mind seeing Brookbank signed as the 7th D man. The only real prospect threat we have to make the roster is Wotherspoon and I like many of you think he would be better served leading that AHL squad on D.

Our forwards on the other hand..

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I also wouldn't mind seeing Wotherspoon further get more confidence going with his offensive game in the AHL, so having another 7th dman isn't a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad