Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick for Buf 2019 3rd (conditions to move to a 4th)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Erod should be a right wing. He should be with Sheary and Eichel. Defense be damned it’ll be entertaining.

Casey should be top 6 regardless of position. If ROR is traded that means center.

Okposo should be 3RW. He kind of plays a solo game I think he will produce really well there against lesser competition.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Erod should be a right wing. He should be with Sheary and Eichel. Defense be damned it’ll be entertaining.

Casey should be top 6 regardless of position. If ROR is traded that means center.

Okposo should be 3RW. He kind of plays a solo game I think he will produce really well there against lesser competition.
1st line that includes ERod and Sheary and does not include Crosby or McDavid is embarrassing.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sheary can go from looking like an 80pt winger one night to playing like an AHLer the next. He can definitely handle playing next to Jack - if he's playing with confidence.
You are mistaking Eichel for Crosby. We love Jack but he aint Crosby who is a top line on his own whoever you pair him with.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Yeah, I'm not trying to argue that. He still needs talent around him, and Sheary could be that guy.
Sheary isnt "talent". Hes somehow servicable middle 6 winger... We lack those as well so Im fine with the trade but thinking he is top line material without having Crosby next to him is delusional.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Because I wanted a better upgrade. I still dare to dream rather than just settle for the meh. Unrealistic? Selfish? Sorry.
Sheary, by most accounts, is a good top-9 winger with speed and cup experience who can compliment very good players. That's exactly the type of player we needed, and still need.

So I dont view this move as 'settling'. I view it as another block to building a competitive team. Now, if this is the only move Botterill makes this offseason, then I'll be heavily disappointed, and want him canned. Until then- I'm going to be happy with a move that addresses depth no matter how minor it seems in the grand scheme of things.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
And what were you willing to give up for that upgrade?

And why do you think they’re done?
Since I do not know what is available or the price I cannot say. What I can say is we have 5.2 million dollars less in cap and real dollars each year for 2 years as a result of this deal and that means $5.2M not readily available to sign a a more expensive player we might want. And I hope that the Sabres are not done and did not suggest they were. Where that came from is a mystery.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What the heck are you talking about? And the poster from the Pens board who was nice enough to come here and give us a scouting report, and who I assume has been watching Sheary since he came in to the league, didn't suggest anything close to that, and your take isn't even right anyway.
I don't need a scouting report on Pittsburgh players, have watched them plenty myself to know that Sheary should be nowhere near Jack's line.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Sheary isnt "talent". Hes somehow servicable middle 6 winger... We lack those as well so Im fine with the trade but thinking he is top line material without having Crosby next to him is delusional.

I dunno man, I would be thrilled to personally have Sheary's [lack of] talent.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The possibility of getting a high-teens or better goal scorer for ozone puck retrieval is needed. He isn’t perfect, but that helped keep the cost down along with eating Hunwick’s deal.

My only concern is how Hunwick fits in regarding playing time. I hope others are both prepared and show ability in camp to make sure he is pushed down the depth chart and create vet limit issues on the Amerks.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
My only concern is how Hunwick fits in regarding playing time. I hope others are both prepared and show ability in camp to make sure he is pushed down the depth chart and create vet limit issues on the Amerks.
I'm kinda liking how if we're going to have meh defensemen, we might as well have buckets full of them. Maybe we can get one or two of them to elevate their play due to competition for the lineup spot. And if they ever get too complacent or comfortable or happy "just being there in the NHL" as seems to be a comment that keeps getting made by players in interviews, they know there's another guy ready to step in and displace them.

Reactions: Icicle

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Since I do not know what is available or the price I cannot say. What I can say is we have 5.2 million dollars less in cap and real dollars each year for 2 years as a result of this deal and that means $5.2M not readily available to sign a a more expensive player we might want. And I hope that the Sabres are not done and did not suggest they were. Where that came from is a mystery.

I don't think Botts cares about competing the next two years, so he doesn't mind taking on cap dumps. He's re-booting the rebuild, based on what we're hearing about the desired return for ROR and this deal for Hunwick.

So reading between the lines, he's not going to sign any UFA for more than two years (+/-) -- which rules out any of the most impactful candidates.

He's taking on cap dumps and planning on selling off the top prime-aged players for futures. That's what you do at the beginning of a rebuild, not the end. Which might be the smarter thing to do over the LONG run, but we've been suffering for so many years, I would prefer that he not take the slowest approach possible.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't need a scouting report on Pittsburgh players, have watched them plenty myself to know that Sheary should be nowhere near Jack's line.

Way to completely shoehorn in a rant and be rude to a friendly stranger all in one go. Oh no, the guy said Sheary could handle playing with Jack, better let everyone know you don't think he should even if that's not what was said!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->