Sheahan Development

IrishFan

Mar 9, 2011
You really seem like you know what youre talking about and have watched him play quite a bit.

DId his play take off after his cut from the world junior camp or has he been playing at the same level all year?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
I'd say he's been playing the same all year. He seems to go through fits and spurts of gaining more confidence with the puck and being more aggressive, then backing off again. He's had a lot of unlucky bounces and with the scoring ability on the ice with him I think he gets eager to dish at times. I've heard him refer to his confidence with the puck in post-game interviews, and how he gets more comfortable when he gets a goal. If he can get a little better puck luck and get more self-assured I think he could be a force, because the skills are there. It's just a slow process getting him to that point. Jeff Jackson really encourages him and sometimes you can see a little back pat when he gets back to the bench after a goal.
Again, I'm glad that his rights are held by a team that seems happy to leave him be for now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anyone care to compare Sheahan's performance this year to that of fellow Notre Dame freshman Bryan Rust?

IrishFan

Mar 9, 2011
Anyone care to compare Sheahan's performance this year to that of fellow Notre Dame freshman Bryan Rust?

They seem to play a little different style of game. I don't recall Rust being as quick to drop back like Sheahan can, and has greatly benefitted point wise by spending quite a bit of time playing on a line with TJ Tynan and Anders Lee this year (that's good for anyone's numbers). He's a solid player, little defensive liability, rarely in the box, etc. I don't see *quite* the puck-handling skills that Sheahan has, but he is also a freshman. I will also say that I've paid a lot less attention to Bryan when he's on the ice b/c he's often out there with Lee and Tynan, so take my comments for what they're worth. He strikes me as a solid player who may mature into something more exciting as his career progresses. Not really flashy, but reliable.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They seem to play a little different style of game. I don't recall Rust being as quick to drop back like Sheahan can, and has greatly benefitted point wise by spending quite a bit of time playing on a line with TJ Tynan and Anders Lee this year (that's good for anyone's numbers). He's a solid player, little defensive liability, rarely in the box, etc. I don't see *quite* the puck-handling skills that Sheahan has, but he is also a freshman. I will also say that I've paid a lot less attention to Bryan when he's on the ice b/c he's often out there with Lee and Tynan, so take my comments for what they're worth. He strikes me as a solid player who may mature into something more exciting as his career progresses. Not really flashy, but reliable.

Thanks! Sort of the impression most have given of Rust. Unflashy but reliable. May be a dependable two-way type for the 3rd line sometime down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad