Confirmed with Link: Sheahan and '18 5th round pick to the Penguins for Scott Wilson and 3rd round pick in '18

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He doesn't get a pass for giving those guys NTCs, but they have them and that doesn't change.

I'm sure there's teams out there that need a center but not an awful contract on their roster.

Nielsen has a modified NTC, right?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Those contracts will be sold on the final year. That's how it works in current NHL. Every contender is against the cap on multi-year plans and then any slightly bad contract with extra years is pretty much untradeable on the trade-deadline.

But on the trade deadline, on the final year, they have good value. And that's our long term plan. Sell everyone on the trade deadline, when they hit the final year.

2018 deadline
- Mike Green

- Niklas Kronwall (if not LTIRetired before that)
- Jimmy Howard (if not being successful)
- Gustav Nyquist

- Jonathan Ericsson
- Trevor Daley

- Darren Helm
- Luke Glendening

- Frans Nielsen
- Dan DeKeyser

- Justin Abdelkader

I think Jimmy will be kept and Kronner will be LTIRetire. But Nielsen and Daley were signed, to help the team a bit, but also to be sold in the future. Contracts are obviously structured that way. NMCs will disappear in the end and salaries are lowest in the end. Very good cheap depth veterans to be sold for contenders of that time.

Holland did this already with Kindl, Smith and Vanek. And will repeat it every year if we are out of playoff race.

If you trade Green, Nyquist, Ericsson, Daley, Nielsen, that's at least 5 extra draft picks. Probably more.

Nobody will want any of those guys then.
Maybe Dekeyser.
MaybeNyquist

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mrazek is going no where?

I highly suspect we basically just let him walk. (we will let him become UFA, and offer him a low backup pay (1.5M))

Mrazek will leave if not given a QO.
And he'll go to a team where he can resurrect his career.

You can't do that in Detroit right now.

Howard wasn't awful last night, but he gave up 4 goals. He didn't make any great saves, but he faced a lot of quality shots.

Here are the shots against since opening
That's 33.55 shots against per game.
That's not even factoring the quality of shots.

You can't have a defense led by ancient Nik Kronwall and then two veterans like Daley and Green - who've always been defensively suspect -- and then Jonny Ericsson and two 2nd-year guys, and then be surprised that your goaltending sucks..

Mrazek, to save his NHL career, needs to go somewhere else.

If I was Calgary, I'd make sure I got Mrazek in the offseason.

Reactions: 21 Savage and Gibby

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The sooner we move him out the better.
Abby is the one bad contract who you know isn't leaving.
He's wearing an A. he's from Michigan. He was drafted by Holland.
He stays.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Wish him well. Didn't like the pick, but then he surprised me in the NHL.

I just don't think he fits in the system.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This guy has to be a headcase. 7 games in with Pittsburgh and its looking like his problems have followed him there. I never thought he was that great but he's not THIS bad.

Reactions: 21 Savage

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This guy has to be a headcase. 7 games in with Pittsburgh and its looking like his problems have followed him there. I never thought he was that great but he's not THIS bad.

I have never been a fan of Sheahan. I think we won the trade. Who cares where we picked him, that doesn't matter much now... value lost. I have Hornqvist on my fantasy team, and thought "oh no, sheahan might C 3rd line with hornqvist.... im done".

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I agree with those saying excellent move by Holland. Nearly equally effective players but we save around a million bucks. It was a small move but shrewd. Too bad it takes being crunched by the cap for management to do anything proactive.

Smith and Sheahan for picks shows me you can get over on other GM's while improving your team even slightly. I wish we'd seen more of this the last 5 years.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Wilson sucks in his own zone. That's what surprises me about him.
He seems to have good work ethic. But his first pass is awful.

I'll be surprised if he's resigned.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I think more people are happy about the pick than Wilson. Sheahan looks to be on the downturn of his career and KH cashed in on him before it was too late.

Yup. The best parts of Kenny’s trades that day were getting the third and an AHL player so Villi Salijarvi can play. Pumpel and Wilson were just warm bodies, at least in terms of their NHL impact

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad